Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graveyards in Donore Area

Options
  • 17-08-2011 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm doing some research into my family tree and its possible that i have some ancestors from the Dorore area. I have traced it back as far as the late 19th century so am wondering if there are many old graveyards around the area as well as the one thats being used now. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There is one I know of but I couldn't tell you how to get to it by road, as it's been years since I was up there, it's north of donore near franks cottage but I've only ever been to it by crossing fields when mitching off school back in the day :D

There is a great view from up there I remember that much.

/goes away for 5 minutes................ actually I think this is it

Make sure you are in satellite view other wise it can't be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

mattym wrote: »
    I'm doing some research into my family tree and its possible that i have some ancestors from the Dorore area. I have traced it back as far as the late 19th century so am wondering if there are many old graveyards around the area as well as the one thats being used now. Any help would be appreciated

2 (3 if you include Knockcommon)

If you need directions, shoot me a PM and I'll gladly help

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Thanks Calex71, thats a place i'll have to check out over the next week or two, looks intesting. Fursttimer, i'll PM you about directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

I've replied to your PM with directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EI8GHB

There's old Donore cemetery which is up a lane from Tubberfinn. When you're coming out of Drogheda on the Donore Road, beyond where it crosses the M1, you will pass the Roadstone entrance at Mullacrone on the left. Take the next right (pretty much on the brow of the hill) and proceed a few hundred yards until the road swings sharply to the left. On that corner, straight ahead of you, are some gates. That's the lane up to the cemetery. It's a public right of way as far as I know so dump the car there and walk the rest of the way. Don't forget to close the gates after you!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement