Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks/Appeals 2011

• 17-08-2011 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like I'll need to appeal two subjects. I know the process but what I don't understand is how it all ties in to the CAO. If the appeal results are out in Mid-October won't that be far too late to have any effect on my CAO offers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

If theres place in the course you'll be offered it there and then, otherwise they'll offer it to you for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. Got 550 + 170 in the HPAT. 720 overall. On the verge for Galway. I'm hoping to bump a few A2s to A1s.

If your grade in a subject is moved up from an appeal and as a result your points increase taking you over the threshold for your course, then you will be entitled to a place. Where it gets tricky however is with regards to Medicine. Because demand is so high, all the places on the course are usually filled by the time the repeat results come out. What the colleges usually do in that circumstance is offer you a place for next year. (2012)

Fingers crossed though I might get Galway. Anxious wait until Monday. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Is there any point in appealing languages??? Teacher told me today they rarely go up because the tape it's often just brought down more, last thing I needs an F in my results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

irish_man wrote: »
    God partyatmygaff has been a poster on the LC forum for the last ages and it took you this long to come up with this hilarious pun.

Take a bow you comical genius! :P
    It's my namesake after all :D
    DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Is there any point in appealing languages??? Teacher told me today they rarely go up because the tape it's often just brought down more, last thing I needs an F in my results.
    I don't think so. Just check your marks and only appeal if you're borderline pass. I really hope things work out for you. Getting 590 and then losing out because of bloody Irish is a horrible thought.

It's my namesake after all :D

I don't think so. Just check your marks and only appeal if you're borderline pass. I really hope things work out for you. Getting 590 and then losing out because of bloody Irish is a horrible thought.

Thanks man, I'll have a look at it so, if it's close i'll get it checked,I suppose nothing to lose really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Really? I was gonna appeal Irish and French! Hugely disappointed with my B3 came out of that exam expecting a lot more. I only need 10/15 points to get my course too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I failed pass maths, I might appeal it, there is no where to go but up I figure.

Really? I was gonna appeal Irish and French! Hugely disappointed with my B3 came out of that exam expecting a lot more. I only need 10/15 points to get my course too I think.

Yeah,If you have nothing to lose you may as-well go for it, but supposedly results go down because the tape is only replayed and the examiner's personal opinion of you has no influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Very few results are down graded. Out of the 10,000 appeals last year only 8 were moved down.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭totothejuggler

here.. I have a serious problem... the dates of the rechecks are the same as electric picnic... which i have to go to because im doing the tour de picnic... what should i do just appeal without getting them checked ???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Very few results are down graded. Out of the 10,000 appeals last year only 8 were moved down.
    And I'd be willing to bet most of those were bright enough to appeal in the subjects where they were closer to the lower grade.

I'll be appealing this year again, fcuking A2 in phys-chem stopping me from getting my first choice, was full sure I got the A1 too, added to that I got an A1 in it last year I'm shocked! Good luck to everyone appealing, but don't expect your results to go up, that way you won't be disappointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Was it an actual F grade or do you mean a fail which was actually an E grade? Because if it's an F, you are at least 15% away from passing so probably unlikely to be brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Janet1986

How do i appeal? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Janet1986 wrote: »
    How do i appeal? :o
    That'll all be explained the day you view your scripts. Simple process, just fill out a form and pay the forty quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LimboPanto

here.. I have a serious problem... the dates of the rechecks are the same as electric picnic... which i have to go to because im doing the tour de picnic... what should i do just appeal without getting them checked ???:confused:

I've the same problem - thought my French and Biology grades ought to have been a bit better. But there's no way in hell I'm missing the Picnic!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭totothejuggler

LimboPanto wrote: »
    I've the same problem - thought my French and Biology grades ought to have been a bit better. But there's no way in hell I'm missing the Picnic!

yah same with my maths and phys/chem... what we gonna do.. might just come back up to look at them or send them off without looking :confused: ... its a tricky one to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Just eight.

Wow Really? I think I will be appealing at least two of my results then. I was worried that the figure would be much higher. Why can't the correction people do their job properly? :rolleyes:

Manc Red wrote: »
    Wow Really? I think I will be appealing at least two of my results then. I was worried that the figure would be much higher. Why can't the correction people do their job properly? :rolleyes:
    It's incredibly annoying really. I especially hate the fact we have to wait until well after the offers are made to even view our scripts let alone receive our appeal results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

If my result was downgraded could i still keep my original grade??

C__MC wrote: »
    If my result was downgraded could i still keep my original grade??
    Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

I am a mature student who resat higher level leaving cert Irish, if you get a recheck do they check the tape also? and can you only move up one grade or two? thanks

Does anyone know what happens in the case of incorrectly added marks? Say they neglected to add a section of an exam to the total marking. Are applications like that processed any quicker?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Does anyone know what happens in the case of incorrectly added marks? Say they neglected to add a section of an exam to the total marking. Are applications like that processed any quicker?

Anything involving addition of marks needs to be appealed as far as I know. The only case that will be resolved immediately is if the mark on the front of your paper hasn't been inputted correctly (which does happen occasionally).

Was it an actual F grade or do you mean a fail which was actually an E grade? Because if it's an F, you are at least 15% away from passing so probably unlikely to be brought up.

It was an E, still though alot of people don't seem too positive the result would go up.I suppose the worst that can happen is I get downgraded to F ,best case pass. Is it true that 38% will be enough for a pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Manc Red wrote: »

They do. Correctors are human too and do make mistakes. They make every effort to correct papers without this happening, but mistakes can happen just as they do in other parts of life. Try correcting 400 papers without making a single error.

It's incredibly annoying really. I especially hate the fact we have to wait until well after the offers are made to even view our scripts let alone receive our appeal results.

Papers have to be sent back to schools. Students have to submit applications to view scripts, those scripts have to be removed from the packs they were in orginally. When viewed by the student they have then to be sent back to the SEC for recorrection. The school have 10 days to do this and some schools are slow at it. You can't just have a 24 hour turnaround time. However if you are upgraded and it means you would have got a higher preference in the CAO at least you are guaranteed a place on the course.

Also remember the teachers who correct during the summer are back at school when the appeals come through, they are working full time. They can't just drop everything so appeals have to work around that too.

It still goes through the same process. When you are viewing a script you will be given a form on which you can write comments, either of the type where you think that you should have got marks for a part and you didn't or if you thought a question was added up incorrectly or if you thought a section wasn't added into your total. It's always best to write down what you think the discrepancy is to highlight it for the examiner. If the total was wrong and a section was left out, it will be added in and you will receive the improved mark.
    It was an E, still though alot of people don't seem too positive the result would go up.I suppose the worst that can happen is I get downgraded to F ,best case pass. Is it true that 38% will be enough for a pass?

Well if you were on 38% I'm sure the examiner would have looked at your paper to see if there was anything there that could have brought you to 40. Still it's worth going to view it anyway and then you can make a decision on it.

Just a word on appeals. Do work out how far you are away from the next grade band before appealing. I've seen rants before on here of the type 'I should have got 6 extra marks' and many students equate a few extra marks with a change in grade. It often isn't. If you are on 83% and get a few extra marks that bring you to 84%, yes your marks go up but you are still on a B1 overall. So make sure that the marks you think you are entitled to are likely to bring you into the next grade band. Appealing on 81% is going to be hard if an extra 4% to bring you to an A2 is the equivalent of 20 extra marks on the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

o
    Ok points wise (fingers crossed ) for primary teaching but a D1 in Irish. At worst its 5 % off the required C3 . Is this a huge jump to expect a re check to bring up ?

o
    Ok points wise (fingers crossed ) for primary teaching but a D1 in Irish. At worst its 5 % off the required C3 . Is this a huge jump to expect a re check to bring up ?

You need to go and view your scripts to know. As Rainbowtrout said, you could be fair close to or very far from making it up to a C3.

There's a difference of 30 marks between the bottom mark for a D1 and the bottom mark for a C3. Unless some question wasn't corrected you'd be unlikely to gain a full 30 marks. But if you were only 6-10 marks or some such you'd have a better chance.

The problem with viewing your Irish script is that you won't know how you did in your oral, so it's not as clear cut as other subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Thanks Dambarude one more question , will they take only the written paper into account when re checking ?

No, the whole thing is rechecked. That's what the tape is for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I was gonna view my business and maths but I'm not so sure now, just because I got my UCAS course (and will take it) and have enough for my CAO... Still would be nice to know if I deserved better (and I think I do). I know it costs nothing to view them but like the effort! :P

Advertisement