Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks/Appeals 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Violafy wrote: »
    Is anyone else tempted to view a paper they were happy with, just to see the percentage they got? I got an A1 in English, but am curious to see exactly what I got in each question. Obviously there'd be no chance I'd be appealing it... :rolleyes: Do many people do this, or would I just look like some sort of control freak? I'd be going in anyway, as I'm definitely viewing Biology.

I was delighted with all my results at the time but still went and viewed every single paper. I spent close on the full 3 hours doing it.

It's a great way to round of the Leaving. It really feels like it's done and dusted once you've viewed the scripts and walk off into the sunset afterwards;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ahahaha, that's exactly the same with me! I have absolutely no idea what I wrote for the part B about the appeal of mystery or something in paper 1, and same with the Comparative... Same with Religion. I foresee a lot of cringing on my part if I look at it, as I really did just make most of it up, and the time pressure was even worse than English.

...Yeah, I think I'll end up viewing all of my papers too. :p

dambarude wrote: »
    I was delighted with all my results at the time but still went and viewed every single paper. I spent close on the full 3 hours doing it.

It's a great way to round of the Leaving. It really feels like it's done and dusted once you've viewed the scripts and walk off into the sunset afterwards;)

True. Biology and possibly Home Ec are probably the only ones I'd actually appeal, but I've always been a details person, so I do want to see exactly what I got in other things. Even if just to satisfy my own curiosity and ego! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

im considering appealing a paper or two just for the craic. You never know I might just be brought up a few points. I feel I did great as I wasnt expecting to do so well. I only got 230 points so it would be nice to be brought up a small few.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Sorry if this question has been answered already but I didn't see it, so here it goes:

I got the appeal sheet in Irish, I'm fluent and all that, but it's difficult to comprehend. I want to view 2 or 3 exams, do I have to send something off or notify the school, or do I just arrive on the day picked and have a look? I don't know what I'm meant to do, not to recorrect but just to view!

• Advertisement

You need to return the completed form to your school before the deadline, so that they can send it on to the SEC and have your scripts delivered to the school. You can't just show up on the day because they only return scripts that are requested to schools.

I have a few more questions about viewing scripts. :o

Do we have to bring someone in with us to look at them, or does the booklet mean that we "can" only if we want to? I presume you can talk to whoever you bring in while looking at the paper?

Also: What exactly is the procedure to view them? If we were viewing a couple of our papers, would we see them separately or all at once beside each other?

Thanks!

Do we have to bring someone in with us to look at them, or does the booklet mean that we "can" only if we want to? I presume you can talk to whoever you bring in while looking at the paper?

You don't *have* to bring some one in. But if you're looking to find mistakes in the way your exam was corrected you should bring somebody who knows about how it is marked. You can talk to the person you bring with you, just not too loudly! Also, you don't have to bring in a teacher (though that would obviously be best). EDIT: If you're just viewing out of interest there isn't much point in bringing somebody with you tbh.

Also: What exactly is the procedure to view them? If we were viewing a couple of our papers, would we see them separately or all at once beside each other?
    You'll get all your scripts together and can view them in whatever order or for however long you want. You may have to wait for the marking schemes if others are using them though, they only send a few copies of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

If you go in to view your paper. Will your teacher from your subject be there to go through it with you? and advise you whether to recheck it or not?

dambarude wrote: »
    You don't *have* to bring some one in. But if you're looking to find mistakes in the way your exam was corrected you should bring somebody who knows about how it is marked. You can talk to the person you bring with you, just not too loudly! Also, you don't have to bring in a teacher (though that would obviously be best). EDIT: If your just viewing out of interest there isn't much point in bringing somebody with you tbh.

You'll get all your scripts together and can view them in whatever order or for however long you want. You may have to wait for the marking schemes if others are using them though, they only send a few copies of each.

Thanks! One last thing: If we get all of our scripts together, does that mean we can only have one person with us for ALL of the scripts? Say I wanted to go through how both Biology and Home Ec were marked, would I only be able to bring the teacher of one subject? Or would one of them leave when finished looking at their subject so the other one can come in?

• Advertisement

If you go in to view your paper. Will your teacher from your subject be there to go through it with you? and advise you whether to recheck it or not?

Yes. :) I'm not quite sure how you arrange for them to be there though - you'd probably have to ring the school and request. Or they could all be there anyway? Not 100% sure, but a teacher definitely can go through it with you.

You need to contact your school to make sure they will be. They're unlikely to show up without being asked by a student specifically. Get in touch ASAP, teachers will have to give up their Friday evening/Saturday morning to do it.
    Thanks! One last thing: If we get all of our scripts together, does that mean we can only have one person with us for ALL of the scripts? Say I wanted to go through how both Biology and Home Ec were marked, would I only be able to bring the teacher of one subject? Or would one of them leave when finished looking at their subject so the other one can come in?
    One person would go with you first, then leave, and the next could join you then. Usually teachers are there to view a few different scripts, so will float around between the different students.

Yes. :) I'm not quite sure how you arrange for them to be there though - you'd probably have to ring the school and request. Or they could all be there anyway? Not 100% sure, but a teacher definitely can go through it with you.

I think I might still have my teachers email address that he gave us I could try emailing him. He might not see it on time.

I think I might still have my teachers email address that he gave us I could try emailing him. He might not see it on time.

Just ring the school!

If you ring the school and ask, they'd contact the teacher. I think he's obliged to go in if a student requests it. :)

I think he's obliged to go in if a student requests it. :)

No actually. I know of cases where teachers couldn't come (or perhaps didn't want to). Very few teachers would decline though.

Is it worth me checking my paper ? I failed and I had two projects 25% each and the paper 50% and sill ended up with an E it was higher level too I didn't think I'd did as bad as that. My teacher did say that I had to pass the paper maybe I failed that :S I failed it in the mocks but was only a few percent off.
    I'm already going to repeat though so it wouldn't make much of a difference . I don't know if theres a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think he's obliged to go in if a student requests it. :)
    No, definitely not. But most teachers will obviously oblige, and indeed will be interested themselves.

And for that matter you could choose to bring a teacher with you who was a family friend, doesn't have to be your own teacher.

Doesn't even *have* to be a teacher, but obviously if you are viewing with a view to appealing, a teacher (and preferably a corrector) in that subject is the best person to have with you.

You'd be as well to just view it and put it out of your mind afterwards.

No, definitely not. But most teachers will obviously oblige, and indeed will be interested themselves.

And for that matter you could choose to bring a teacher with you who was a family friend, doesn't have to be your own teacher.

Sorry, I stand corrected. Very harsh though if a teacher doesn't turn up after being asked! Or if the teacher you want can't do it, maybe another teacher of that subject in the school would if you asked.

• Advertisement

Doesn't even *have* to be a teacher, but obviously if you are viewing with a view to appealing, a teacher (and preferably a corrector) in that subject is the best person to have with you.

I've accompanied three different people in viewing scripts in the last few years and i'm not a secondary teacher.

Some people just bring someone for support (like an older brother or sister). Some people bring their mothers or fathers, but I'd advise against that because they usually don't have a clue about how things are marked and often ask very loud and unusual questions (that everybody else in the hall can hear:):rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Very harsh though if a teacher doesn't turn up after being asked! Or if the teacher you want can't do it, maybe another teacher of that subject in the school would if you asked.
    Sometimes a teacher just isn't available. And yes, often other teachers from the school who teach the same subject will step in if that's the case.

Where abouts in Dublin are the papers viewed? (assuming its Dublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

cocoshovel wrote: »

You view them in your own school.

Viewing them will do no harm, and it's highly unlikely you'll be brought down. Anyway, you'll be able to see how close you are to a higher grade when you see the marks you got. There wouldn't be much point in appealing a grade which you just scraped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

More or less. You can't have 5 or 6 people crowded around you. I think you have a 3 hour slot in which to review your papers. If you are viewing a number of papers and have asked a number of teachers to come in maybe try and arrange it so they don't all arrive together and have to wait around. And if you tell a teacher you are going to be there at X time, turn up on time. I was viewing scripts a couple of years ago and another teacher from the school I work in was in waiting for a student to turn up to review her paper. The student asked her to be in for 9 on saturday morning and didn't show up herself until 10. :mad:

Is it worth me checking my paper ? I failed and I had two projects 25% each and the paper 50% and sill ended up with an E it was higher level too I didn't think I'd did as bad as that. My teacher did say that I had to pass the paper maybe I failed that :S I failed it in the mocks but was only a few percent off.
    I'm already going to repeat though so it wouldn't make much of a difference . I don't know if theres a point.

It costs nothing to view them so you might as well see how you got on and if it's worth getting them re-corrected. If you do repeat it will also show you where you went wrong and how you can improve your exam technique : E.g. are you misinterpreting questions, are you not writing enough, are you writing too much and running out of time at the end etc etc

You view them in your own school.

Just be careful on this. You view them in the centre you sat the exam in. For most people that's their own school. But for people that went say to the Institute but sat their papers in their previous school, your papers will be sent to the school where you sat the exam not the Institute.

I know its €40 to get them rechecked but its free just to view them yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

I know its €40 to get them rechecked but its free just to view them yes?

Yes Its Free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

Say if you want to view a paper but you don't want to apply to have it rechecked until you are sure you need to (ie after 2nd round offers if you are still short of points for what you wanted)...do you need to fill in anything on the day of viewing or can you defer that until the closing date for requesting a recheck.(on 7th september I see in the booklet)
    Sorry if thats garbled, but would appreciate an answer if anyone can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

cucbuc wrote: »
    Say if you want to view a paper but you don't want to apply to have it rechecked until you are sure you need to (ie after 2nd round offers if you are still short of points for what you wanted)...do you need to fill in anything on the day of viewing or can you defer that until the closing date for requesting a recheck.(on 7th september I see in the booklet)
    Sorry if thats garbled, but would appreciate an answer if anyone can help.

No, you not have to fill out anything on the viewing day,
    If you are not happy with the markings and want a recheck, you just have to give in the form for recheck which you can get when you view scripts by 7th Sept.

Advertisement