Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks/Appeals 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

so you can look at the scripts and pay no fee? and can you bring in a calculator?
    and do you get marking schemes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sunny!! wrote: »
    so you can look at the scripts and pay no fee? and can you bring in a calculator?
    and do you get marking schemes?

Yes to all three. If you want to make notes leave a notebook and pen outside the room and you can go in and out, you can't bring a pen in with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

I've heard stories about this and just wanted to clarify :D

Regardless of what boxes you tick that you wish to view, are ALL of your exams sent back anyways??
    For example, I want to recheck biology and maths, but if i tick only these 2 boxes, will I get only these 2 subjects sent back, or will all of my exams be sent back??

The reason I ask is because I'm interested in viewing them all, out of interest, and I just want to know what to tick :D

biggaman wrote: »

Regardless of what boxes you tick that you wish to view, are ALL of your exams sent back anyways??
    For example, I want to recheck biology and maths, but if i tick only these 2 boxes, will I get only these 2 subjects sent back, or will all of my exams be sent back??

The reason I ask is because I'm interested in viewing them all, out of interest, and I just want to know what to tick :D

just tick them all haha, sure theyll be all there, and you can have just a quick glance through some:)

just tick them all haha, sure theyll be all there, and you can have just a quick glance through some:)
    Doesn't the principal have to agree that the result received is out of character based on previous results for the student before they send off the form or something? :/ Like I got an A1 and she'll be like.. why are you considering checking that... :L

• Advertisement

Doesn't the principal have to agree that the result received is out of character based on previous results for the student before they send off the form or something? :/ Like I got an A1 and she'll be like.. why are you considering checking that... :L

i never heard of this, but there would be no point obviouly viewing the A1 just dont thick that one:)

i never heard of this, but there would be no point obviouly viewing the A1 just dont thick that one:)
    I don't plan on appealing half of them, I just want to look at them out of curiosity :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

All higher level scripts plus ordinary level Maths scripts are sent back whether requested or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Is it a bad idea to recheck everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Is it a bad idea to recheck everything?

View them with your teachers first.

Is it a bad idea to recheck everything? Well if you have nothing to lose course-wise then it isn't a bad idea (unless losing the money for the recheck costs is a frightening prospect for you)

• Advertisement

you dont have to view them with your teacher do you? I just want to view them on my own

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

you dont have to view them with your teacher do you? I just want to view them on my own

No, you can view them on your own. Many people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

You can only bring one person into the room with you when you review your script and most teachers would not be there since the reviews happen on Friday evening and Sat morning - if you do want a teacher you would want to ask very nicely now :D You can of course go in by yourself - no pens allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Do you have to go in yourself or can you just send your teacher in?

You have to go in yourself. The teachers aren't your skivvy, they advise you on what to do but they won't do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

* Can I strongly suggest that people READ the thread before posting questions, most possible questions have been asked and answered at this stage. *

(A few posts deleted in order to tidy / shorten the thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

dambarude wrote: »
    You have to go in yourself. The teachers aren't your skivvy, they advise you on what to do but they won't do it for you.
    I wasn't suggesting that at all. Four of my teachers have rang me telling me to get them rechecked and offering to go in. I wasn't even going to bother. I ask do I have to be present as there's a good chance I won't even be in the country at the time. I wouldn't see the point of going in by myself I'm not an examiner or a teacher and I would only take the advice of someone elses that I know is a reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mydearwatson

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Is there any point in appealing languages??? Teacher told me today they rarely go up because the tape it's often just brought down more, last thing I needs an F in my results.

I would definitely advise you to appeal the Irish.

If you're capable of achieving such high overall results, then you should definitely have been able to pass OL Irish even with no study, just from attending the classes.

TBH even if you view your paper and it's a very low E, I would still get it rechecked. There is quite a bit of subjectivity in Irish, so it's definitely worth the forty quid or whatever it is.

Do not worry about being marked down from an E to an F. You're no worse off if that happens - an E is useless to you for points anyways, and if you ever need to put your LC results on a CV you would just leave out the Irish anyways (no point putting down that you got an E in it.)

One other thing - if you do get it rechecked and your grade doesn't improve, then if I were you I would definitely look into repeating it next summer (I'm not sure if you are planning on going to college this year, but you could probably pass it with a couple of hours work every weekend and then a couple of weeks cramming at the end, when your college exams would be over. Maybe an easter revision course too if necessary.) The reason I'd advise this is because, no matter how sure you are of what you want to do, plenty of people end up disliking their course and pursuing an alternative career path. If you decide in a couple of years that you want to do something else, you don't want your college choice to be limited because you don't have the pass in Irish. And it's a lot easier to repeat next year, than in a couple of years, when you'll have forgotten everything you know.

Definitely get the paper rechecked. I would be surprised if you don't get brought up to a pass. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

maybe this is a bit off topic, but does it ever happen that say for irish or french that they forget to add your marks for the aural or oral or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

xclw wrote: »
    maybe this is a bit off topic, but does it ever happen that say for irish or french that they forget to add your marks for the aural or oral or something like that?

Yep, happened to a person in my school 2 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Oh God Id love that scenario... getting a recheck in irish need to go from a D1 to a C3... praying and praying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

Yes, happened to my friend last year in french. They forgot to add in the oral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Anything is technically possible. Definitely not *common* ... but possible.

Multiply the number of students by, say, an average of 7 subjects, and the numbers are massive ... Murphy and his Law will definitely kick in occasionally!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

If marks were added up incorrectly by an examiner, how quickly could a mistake like that be rectified? Would it really take until mid-October?

Yes, you'll have to wait until October and the appeals results.

Yes, you'll have to wait until October and the appeals results.

Cheers for that. And how far can we go with our comments highlighting where we think we deserved marks? Can we use that opportunity to justify artistic integrity behind a subtle/nuanced/risque essay on English P1?

aranciata wrote: »
    And how far can we go with our comments highlighting where we think we deserved marks? Can we use that opportunity to justify artistic integrity behind a subtle/nuanced/risque essay on English P1?

An English corrector would be better able to answer that. I'm guessing you could, but I don't know how far it would get you. The essay should stand for itself and not need an explanatory note for the corrector.

One thing I would say is to keep your comments civil on the form. I've heard of people writing things like 'Get someone with a brain to correct this next time'. That won't get you anywhere, however satisfying it may be to write it!

An English corrector would be better able to answer that. I'm guessing you could, but I don't know how far it would get you. The essay should stand for itself and not need an explanatory note for the corrector.

One thing I would say is to keep your comments civil on the form. I've heard of people writing things like 'Get someone with a brain to correct this next time'. That won't get you anywhere, however satisfying it may be to write it!

True, but an English corrector shouldn't punish a student for writing something layered and a bit complicated. I realise I sound like an asshole but I just know a corrector read my essay, probably thought to themselves - "What was that? What happened there? Nothing much. Let's move on" - I understand a corrector can't give 5 or 10 minutes to analyze an essay, but they can't punish someone for writing an essay that require analysis.

aranciata wrote: »
    True, but an English corrector shouldn't punish a student for writing something layered and a bit complicated. I realise I sound like an asshole but I just know a corrector read my essay, probably thought to themselves - "What was that? What happened there? Nothing much. Let's move on" - I understand a corrector can't give 5 or 10 minutes to analyze an essay, but they can't punish someone for writing an essay that require analysis.

You shouldn't presume anything tbh. You could find when you view your script that the essay you refer to got good marks. You could also find that it didn't. You could find that it was corrected by a supervising examiner and that the grade remained the same. Or went up. Or went down.

Have your teacher read the essay during the script viewing session to get a second opinion.

• Advertisement

You shouldn't presume anything tbh. You could find when you view your script that the essay you refer to got good marks. You could also find that it didn't. You could find that it was corrected by a supervising examiner and that the grade remained the same. Or went up. Or went down.

Have your teacher read the essay during the script viewing session to get a second opinion.

At this point I'm hoping there's just a numerical error on the front page of my script and there can be a quick turn-around in maybe bringing me up 5 points! Need 5 points to have a chance at my course (random selection), with 10 I'd have it in the bag.

Advertisement