Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks/Appeals 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

aranciata wrote: »
    At this point I'm hoping there's just a numerical error on the front page of my script and there can be a quick turn-around in maybe bringing me up 5 points! Need 5 points to have a chance at my course (random selection), with 10 I'd have it in the bag.

It *could* happen, but don't get your hopes up to high. I have heard of one person who this happened to before, but it wouldn't be very common. I think that the lists examiners provide with all the grades on them are inputted twice by two different people to avoid errors.

It's not a nice situation to be in, so best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

dambarude wrote: »
    It *could* happen, but don't get your hopes up to high. I have heard of one person who this happened to before, but it wouldn't be very common. I think that the lists examiners provide with all the grades on them are inputted twice by two different people to avoid errors.

It's not a nice situation to be in, so best of luck:)

Thanks!

And do you mean the marks from all parts of the paper are added and inputted by two different people, or the total number of marks (added by the examiner) are inputted twice by two different people?

Thanks!

And do you mean the marks from all parts of the paper are added and inputted by two different people, or the total number of marks (added by the examiner) are inputted twice by two different people?

I'm not sure to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I have been told by my Irish teacher that the oral is not re checked in the appeals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

At this point I'm hoping there's just a numerical error on the front page of my script and there can be a quick turn-around in maybe bringing me up 5 points! Need 5 points to have a chance at my course (random selection), with 10 I'd have it in the bag.

There is info in the appeals booklet on a quicker appeal if its just a matter of incorrect adding, its a shorter process as far as I rem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

I need to go up by at least 20.... not banking on it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

True, but an English corrector shouldn't punish a student for writing something layered and a bit complicated. I realise I sound like an asshole but I just know a corrector read my essay, probably thought to themselves - "What was that? What happened there? Nothing much. Let's move on" - I understand a corrector can't give 5 or 10 minutes to analyze an essay, but they can't punish someone for writing an essay that require analysis.

You realise that you're saying that a qualified experienced English teacher with a degree in the subject and experience of correcting exams can't analyse a leaving cert student's essay and understand the layers in it? Seriously??? Give them some credit.

If you want to write a comment, by all means do, but the corrector will go by the marking scheme at the end of the day. You do not get any special dispensation because it's an appeal. Your paper is re-corrected to the same standard and the same marking scheme will be applied as it was the first time round.

^ That and the fact that it's a Leaving Cert Higher Level (I'm presuming) paper means that the corrector would have been one of the most experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Gosh I sound so thick asking this but do you just tick the detachable piece for your viewing times? The form is just making my head spin! Where did other people drop the form into in their school? Secretary's office or what? I don't know the layout of the school where I sat my exams and I don't want to wander aimlessly tomorrow dropping it in.

Aoifums wrote: »
    Gosh I sound so thick asking this but do you just tick the detachable piece for your viewing times? The form is just making my head spin! Where did other people drop the form into in their school? Secretary's office or what? I don't know the layout of the school where I sat my exams and I don't want to wander aimlessly tomorrow dropping it in.

Don't tick that box, it's for the organiser (usually the secretary). It'll be sent out telling you which time slot you've been allocated.

Drop it in to the secretary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I didn't realise you didn't get to pick your own time. That has to suck if a teacher can only be there on one of the days.

Aoifums wrote: »
    I didn't realise you didn't get to pick your own time. That has to suck if a teacher can only be there on one of the days.

Well if that's the case let the secretary know when you're handing it in. The times that your given is organised locally, so they can be moved around easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Lads does anyone know or have the dates of the viewing scripts on them?

I handed mine in but my mam threw out the paper I wrote it down on!

It was September 3rd, Saturday?

Anyone know the times ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Hello to all. I usually post in the teaching forum but I wanted to step in here for a moment in the hope that I can offer something balanced and useful.

Firstly, I really want to both congratulate and sincerely sympathise with each and every one of you that are short points and looking at an appeal. You wouldn't be here unless you had your heart set on a course that you've come very close to and as a teacher I really want to urge you not to lose sight of all you have achieved even if the course you want is just out of your grasp for the moment. This uncertainty will pass and by this time next year the vast majority of you will be well into your third level studies and all of this will be a distant memory.

I wanted to post here because I have examined. All of you will know that I cannot post anything here that is not generally in the public domain about the marking process and I won't do that. In reality though, there really isn't much that isn't in the public domain these days.

Nobody should appeal without viewing their script. When I read comments referring to the small number of scripts that are downgraded, that is not by chance. It is because it will become clear very quickly to you whether or not the scheme has been fairly and consistently applied to your script and if there are obvious discrepancies. I realise that this is more problematic in essay type papers. However, the point is that you will look over your script with the marking scheme beside you and hopefully a teacher to help you. If there is a teacher in your school who marks the subject in question, I would strongly advise you to consult directly with that person.

The marking process is extremely rigorous. It should not surprise you that the scripts that are called in by advising examiners will tend to be the ones that are on the grade boundary. The simple fact is that consistent marking is achieved through constant monitoring and clarification among the examining team in such a way that non-standard, dubious answers are either approved or rejected as they arise and the vast majority of problems are ironed out long before you get to see your script.

My point is that some of you seem to take the approach that, if you appeal, something will be found. This is frankly dangerous. You really have to be pretty confident having viewed your scripts that there is something there that does not conform to the marking scheme. It's not whether you think the answer is right or not, it's what the scheme says and whether you think it was applied properly to you.

As regards languages, your oral will be listened to if you appeal.

Another issue is what happens if you see green, purple or other coloured ink on your script alongside the original corrector's red. This means that your script has already been seen by one of the senior examiners. Most people believe that this lessens the likelihood of a successful appeal and, in general, that is probably true. However, these people are not infallible and you should still consider an appeal if you believe firmly that there is something wrong.

In essence, what I am saying to you is this. Do not underestimate all of the quality control processes that have been carried out so far in order to eliminate errors and restrict the potential for appeals. Do not assume that something will be found - the vast majority of appeals come back unchanged. The possibility of a downgrade is real and if you appeal a subject for the heck of it you are really tempting fate. If you are short points for a course you desperately want and hence feel you need to appeal something, choose a subject all of whose marks are visible to you (maybe not French, Irish etc...), where you are confident the grade you have is safe and where you have a clear conviction that you have been hard done by.

To each and all, the very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Janet1986

I sent away my appeal for my maths today, i got an e :(

There's probably a 0 chance they will bump it to a D3 but it's worth a try.

Otherwise i will have to find an exam centre and repeat it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Quick question, if I get a time that doesn't suit can I change it? I'm only asking because I'm working this Friday and so won't be able to go to that period.

You should probably have said something when handing in the form. All you can do is ask in the school, it's likely they'll be able to move things around.

dambarude wrote: »
    You should probably have said something when handing in the form. All you can do is ask in the school, it's likely they'll be able to move things around.

I actually didn't know at the tine because I hadn't got my hours at that stage. Thanks anyways, hopefully I'll be put in one of the Saturday sessions instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pinkmags

I have a quick question. As an external candidate who is appealing results without viewing them, do I still have to return the form to the exam centre or can I send it direct to examinations commision. Also on my appeals application one of the subjects i want to appeal i.e. geography, is not listed. Anyone know why that is... It is on the viewing list but not on the appeal application form list. Any help would be great. I'm approved pending appeal on results so anxious to.get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

THFC wrote: »
    Quick question, if I get a time that doesn't suit can I change it? I'm only asking because I'm working this Friday and so won't be able to go to that period.

I know from experience the centres are set up according to how many students are going to view scripts. If there are not many and they can all be held on the Friday then there is no viewing on another day - the Dept. of Ed. wont pay to run two sessions if only one is required numbers wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I wasn't suggesting that at all. Four of my teachers have rang me telling me to get them rechecked and offering to go in. I wasn't even going to bother. I ask do I have to be present as there's a good chance I won't even be in the country at the time. I wouldn't see the point of going in by myself I'm not an examiner or a teacher and I would only take the advice of someone elses that I know is a reliable source.

If you want to review a paper you have to go yourself - bringing along one other person is allowed but they cant go instead of you. If you cant attend the review you can still re-check and you can nominate someone to get the form, pay the money and return to the school for you.

aisher wrote: »
    I know from experience the centres are set up according to how many students are going to view scripts. If there are not many and they can all be held on the Friday then there is no viewing on another day - the Dept. of Ed. wont pay to run two sessions if only one is required numbers wise.

It's fine, got it sorted this morning. The VP was actually just making the groups and he let me choose mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I need to go up by at least 20.... not banking on it to be honest.

I'm in a similar boat. I need at least 15 points. I'm not banking on it either but to bump a merit up to a distinction in LCVP would get me there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 S.Moran

Just wondering are people allowed to bring calculators into the hall when viewing a paper, Because I've heard from some people that it is allowed and have heard its not allowed of others? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

S.Moran wrote: »
    Just wondering are people allowed to bring calculators into the hall when viewing a paper, Because I've heard from some people that it is allowed and have heard its not allowed of others? Thanks.

yes, your allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i'm hoping to go up 30 points for the course i want, not going to happen though :/ think i am repeating :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

Sorry if it's already mentioned, but do they recheck the orals? I've heard that you can't check them (or at least can't find out what you got in them), but then what's the point in them being recorded if that's the case? :confused:

Nevermind, @linguist already mentioned that orals are rechecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 slug11

is it possible to change the date of ur recheck as my teacher is unavailable to check mine on the day they gave me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I've asked my teachers to look at the following subjects with me:
    English
    Irish
    French
    Geography
    Home Ec
    All of them have agreed to come in on Saturday morning so I hope they don't have to hang around :cool:

Anyway, I REALLY don't want my english teacher to see my paper 1 but want him to look at my paper 2.. Hopefully he won't get there before me!

When are the marking schemes going to be online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement