Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks/Appeals 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 prendizzle

Viewed all my scripts today, wasn't planning on doing any rechecks, but i was 7 marks off an A1 in history, so my history teacher came into me to help me read through it!

-Got 95 for my project, just 5 for the review though.
    -Got 84 for the Apprentice boys- despite getting full marks up to the mini-essay, i'm not happy! I got a 6 out of 16 for Overall Evaluation, despite getting 20 for the culmative. Will surely pick up a mark or two here? Wasn't the world's best essay, but it was long enough and factual enough.
    -98 for Cumann na nGaedheal's democracy- sorted
    -90 for Characteristics of a Nazi state- not sure where I lost 10 marks for OE though
    -76 for MLK essay. Made it up on the day and knew it would cost me. My teacher thinks I'll be more generously marked this time, didn't get a full culmative mark so hopefully i could get bumped up 3 or 4 marks here.

Was delighted to get an A2 in history, and still am, but considering I didn't get above a 10 for any paragraph in my exam, I reckon a more generous examiner could tip me over to an A1! Here's hoping! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

I got 87.75 % in Chem and am considering appealing, but am hesitant as to whether I could possibly be downgraded? I don't care about paying €40, however. The only thing I'm worried about is being downgraded.

Also, in French I am on 262/300 and got an A2 but am considering appealing but again I'm afraid that I will be downgraded. I felt that I did well in my oral, and usually get high in it so that's why I'm considering appealing.

Oh I don't know!!

The only hesitation I have is that I will get my 2 papers rechecked and will be downgraded....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

I am fuming...
    are you supposed to get marked down for handwriting? in both english and history half the paper was underlined with marks well down in my last essays

History: My teacher said because my handwriting was poor there was no effort put in to mark it by the examiner so just gave me 70 for every essay the last one didnt eve have any CM/OM marks 79%

English: got a b2 but 3 english teachers told me i lost a good 15% for handwriting...23/70 for my last essay in the comparative is a joke 77%

French: The biggest joke..Totals added up to 172 on the cover but only got 132? if thats true it brings me up 3 grades...54/65?%

Economics: Marks on the page didnt add up to what i was given in 2 questions reading through the paper am missing about 40 odd marks...Q7 got 38 on the script 18 in thr total...and half my marks were tippexed out? 56%

Geography: Dont even know what an SRP is anymore got 4/30 for 2 2 page essays....69.6%

• Registered Users Posts: 9 prendizzle

Also, in French I am on 262/300 and got an A2 but am considering appealing but again I'm afraid that I will be downgraded. I felt that I did well in my oral, and usually get high in it so that's why I'm considering appealing.

Oh I don't know!!

The only hesitation I have is that I will get my 2 papers rechecked and will be downgraded....:(

Well if you're happy with the listening and comprehensions, but wondering where the marks went for the written and oral, then you should recheck. The written was marked savagely in our school. I got 269/300 for the paper and got an A1, so those extra 7 marks could make a huge difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In accounting I was only 3 marks off the next grade but I'm not sure about appealing because I figure that with accounting its either right or wrong, what do people think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I posted about this somewhere else so I'm just gonna quote it here:
    _meehan_ wrote: »
    I went to view my papers earlier..I'm getting music appealed because the corrector added my marks wrong for a question, and I got docked 10 marks by mistake. 10 marks = 5% in this exam, therefore...I should be looking at an A1.

I got an A2 overall in my Irish papers:eek: Got full marks in Stair na Gaeilge, but I reckon I must have been brought down a percent or two because of my oral, even though my oral went well..it's all subjective I suppose.:(

Fcukin biology:mad: I had a B3 in biology, and then your wan went back through my paper and took another 3 marks off me..so I missed out on my B3 by a quarter of a percent:( You'll never guess what she took the 3 marks off for though...because I said "not dependent on" instead of "independent of" when phrasing my answer, even though it was right!:mad:

What ye think? I'm bitter over biology..but I'm not sure if it's worth getting it rechecked for something as sticky as phrasing.:( I don't know would they bother giving it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

Okay, so i'm goin ahead with english cos i think they were scabby enough with marks and i'm hoping for a 3-7% increase

but what i'm wondering is has any1 payed online instead of the bank giro.

Your supposed to get an email straight away that you HAVE to print and hand in with the form.....but theres no sign of it?

Am....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What ye think? I'm bitter over biology..but I'm not sure if it's worth getting it rechecked for something as sticky as phrasing.:( I don't know would they bother giving it to me.
    I've heard of that sorta thing happening before, but I'd say still go for it, you might be lucky.

I was a few marks short an A2 in maths...was so sickened, I knew my retarded approach to C part 3 of Q8 would cost me the A2. But I found a few places where I was given an attempt for a valid method (although annoyingly, no indication as to why they might've given me an attempt). Made an absolute haymes of the B part of Q7 on paper 2, and the integration on paper 1 was a bit of a mess too (turns out I made a mess of B part 2 as well...oops).

Sending it off for a recheck anyway. All they need to do is reverse one of the 4 or 5 questionable blunders or attempts I was given. I'll be kinda surprised if I don't go up...but I'm not gonna dwell on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

I checked all of my scripts today; 8 subjects, all HL:

Got an A2 in French, was expecting an A1! I did get full marks in the listening, but my compositions were shít by comparison! Probably about 74/100 or something in total! Examiner gave me 5/5 marks for a Q, then their supervisor only gave me 4, 'cos I referred to a 'well planned assault' in describing a house break-in!!! It's only one mark, but the marking scheme even allows it!! I got exactly 85 on the paper, thanks to those crummy compositions, but seriously, what a mean corrector!!

Somehow I managed to leave out a whole question in Chemistry, my teacher arrived just as I opened looked at the script, and I actually cried :( I still managed to get a C2, but there's no point in getting a recheck, if there's a whole question missing :( That'll teach me to do all the questions in order next time :P

Got 73% in Physics!! Well pleased with it since I was getting high D's/low C's all year!!! Got 118/120 on Section A experiments! Delighted! Some other Q's were pretty poor, but overall, I'm well pleased!

I totally wanted to bring my English home with me! I literally just laughed all the way through it! I never knew I could be so witty, God knows where all that information and quotes came from! Managed 78% overall! Well pleased too!

Biology was a bítch! Think I managed 87% or something overall, but I made my usual stupid mistakes :(
    Those stupid migratory ducks! Needless to say I got a 0 for that one part!
    The kidney diagram: what's up with that? I got 0 out of 3 for drawing it? And apparently one of my labels was wrong :/ I mean, a renal pelvis is a renal pelvis like :( Anyway, there's no point in checking that either, since I don't think that question would be counted even with another 5 marks!
    And stupid cancelling!! Said anaerobic and lactic acid for one part, crossed them both out and wrote glycolysis and water! 0 marks out of 6 again!
    Then for the anabolic/anabolic/anabolic thing, I said anabolic for all three, crossed one out and wrote catabolic :( Stupid cancelling :/
    Also, somehow my paper got corrected three times, once by the corrector in the usual red, a second time in green, then again in GOLD! Wtf like? Since when does that happen?
    I was pleased with my A2 anyway :D

Irish was grand as well, got 91/100 on the aural, and I think 80.333% overall. So there'd really be no point in trying for an A2. Some things were really stupid mistakes again, I got like 76/100 on my Internet essay, which I was a bit peeved at, but essays aren't my strong point anyway :/
    It was shocking to see how terrible my verbs are, but overall I was, again, pleased. I didn't deserve any more marks.

Maths was a complete joke: Got 58.833 overall, no point in going for a recheck, since I'm not counting it anyway! Hilarious to see how dumb I was, attempt marks all over the shop! To be fair, the papers were shít and there were plenty complaints about it, but I'm happy with my D1 :D

To finish, I'll say: Lawl at my 29% Applied Maths failure :L On the day, I knew I hadn't done well, but I just laughed when I got the script back :P Most of the answers were made up, I think I only actually tried for question 1, and even got a 0/50 for one of them! I definitely didn't deserve to get any more, so I am actually happy with how it went :L

Overall, I'm pleased with how they all went, I made loads of stupid mistakes, and was way off on points for my first (4) choices :L Got my fifth though, which will actually serve me better in the long-term, since there are plenty more options and opportunities available to me! My first choices had no options to expand or do anything different in them, and I'm glad to get to do something I know I'm gonna love!!
    For those of you interested, I got 485 points in total, and I'm off to do Science in Trinity now :L Happy days lol :P

To end my massively long post, I'll just say thanks for reading!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I am so, SO happy with English. :D:D:D 58/60 in the Hamlet question and 50/50 in Paper 1 Part B were just some of the highlights! :D

I somehow managed to get 170/180 in Irish Paper 2 :pac: , HAHAHA - it was actually the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. It turns out I'm only 5 marks away from an A1 (without the oral), but I don't think I'll appeal it because I didn't even expect to get an A at all. I also have the feeling that I was very lucky to do so well, as I got full marks for loads of questions and rarely got As in class essays, so I could easily be marked down if I had a tougher examiner.

Just about scraped A2 in Religion, but am still very happy, as I made up pretty much everything for the Christianity and Religion&Gender section. :rolleyes: Nothing much of interest to say about German and Maths, but I'm thinking of appealing Biology (B3) and/or Home Ec (A2 :mad: ). I didn't think much of how either were marked tbh, but I don't know if it would be different if they were corrected again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

Did anyone else feel Economics was marked extremely harshly? The marking scheme seemed arbitrary. The examiner stuck rigidly to it so many times I would get 0 for answers which made perfect sense. It's as if the exam had a strict "No thinking for yourself" policy. I ended up scraping a C1 after feeling sure of, at worst, a B coming out of the exam.

Also, in Physics, I saw the most petty reason for a wrong answer I have ever seen. I said gravity instead of gravitational when I was asked for the four fundamental forces in order of strength. Really?? Gravity isn't an acceptable answer for a force of nature, only gravitational is?? And I know it wasn't a simple mistake because the examiner actually circled the end of gravity to show what was wrong with it. I hope that sounds ridiculous to everyone else as well because I can hardly believe it. :mad::mad:

I can't complain about the rest of the exams.
    In Music I got 84% in the listening and 94% in the composition :D My Practical brought me up to an A1 so I would have really liked to see what I got in that.

Maths was great to see. I got a C2 overall and just 2 weeks before the exam my teacher was wondering how I was going to avoid failing. Moral of the story, sometimes cramming works :cool:

English was a bit surprising. Paper 1 seemed to be marked quite easily (in comparison to my teacher's standards anyway). Paper 2 was, as I already knew, a disaster but I still managed a C2 so I'm satisfied.

German was disappointing. Like Economics, I was expecting a B but got a C1. I was pleased that I had done so well in the oral - I got close to an A. With good preparation it's easy to get a respectable mark in the oral it seems.

I'm not going to have any of my exams rechecked. They seemed broadly fair and besides, I got my first choice (Music Education in Trinity) with a nice 455 points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Did anyone else feel Economics was marked extremely harshly? The marking scheme seemed arbitrary. The examiner stuck rigidly to it so many times I would get 0 for answers which made perfect sense. It's as if the exam had a strict "No thinking for yourself" policy. I ended up scraping a C1 after feeling sure of, at worst, a B coming out of the exam.

This. The marking scheme ruins the subject at LC level.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Also, in Physics, I saw the most petty reason for a wrong answer I have ever seen. I said gravity instead of gravitational when I was asked for the four fundamental forces in order of strength. Really?? Gravity isn't an acceptable answer for a force of nature, only gravitational is?? And I know it wasn't a simple mistake because the examiner actually circled the end of gravity to show what was wrong with it. I hope that sounds ridiculous to everyone else as well because I can hardly believe it. :mad::mad:

I can't complain about the rest of the exams.
    In Music I got 84% in the listening and 94% in the composition :D My Practical brought me up to an A1 so I would have really liked to see what I got in that.

Maths was great to see. I got a C2 overall and just 2 weeks before the exam my teacher was wondering how I was going to avoid failing. Moral of the story, sometimes cramming works :cool:

English was a bit surprising. Paper 1 seemed to be marked quite easily (in comparison to my teacher's standards anyway). Paper 2 was, as I already knew, a disaster but I still managed a C2 so I'm satisfied.

German was disappointing. Like Economics, I was expecting a B but got a C1. I was pleased that I had done so well in the oral - I got close to an A. With good preparation it's easy to get a respectable mark in the oral it seems.

I'm not going to have any of my exams rechecked. They seemed broadly fair and besides, I got my first choice (Music Education in Trinity) with a nice 455 points :)

I also got a C1 and I predicted a B2 maybe B1 after the exam. It was marked horribly, like English! uhh. fml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I got an A2. Convinced I got an A1. Went in to view it with my economics teacher yesterday and he completely agreed with me. Needed 11 marks to move up to A1 and he found about 20 marks for me.
    What really pissed me off was you could tell that this year was about applying what you learnt in economics to real-world situations, so why then, when people actually did that and the answer makes perfect sense, give them zero just because its not one of the 4 sample answers in the marking scheme?

There was one C part where you had to give 4 points at 5 marks each. I did. The first i got 5 marks in, the other 3 were marked "0+3" each even though they were exactly what was in the marking scheme. Originally my teacher said it might be because i didn't give a heading and then explain (even though you dont have to do that when the question says "discuss") but i got full marks for my first point even though i didn't give a heading.

I think it was poorly marked. Definitely getting a recheck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

2 marks off an A1 in phys-chem, would have got my first choice had they just given them to me.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I am fuming...
    are you supposed to get marked down for handwriting? in both english and history half the paper was underlined with marks well down in my last essays

History: My teacher said because my handwriting was poor there was no effort put in to mark it by the examiner so just gave me 70 for every essay the last one didnt eve have any CM/OM marks 79%

English: got a b2 but 3 english teachers told me i lost a good 15% for handwriting...23/70 for my last essay in the comparative is a joke 77%

Sadly, handwriting DOES matter, I've been warned about my handwriting at both second and third level and had to ensure I improved my handwriting for exams. It doesn't matter if your answer is great if the examiner can't read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Had a look at most of my scripts, out of curiosity really!

I got exactly 80% in English, so very lucky there!

And was only one mark over an A1 in Irish! My paper was marked very harshly I thought, the examiner was literally taking marks of me for the laugh! But I did get full marks in the oral so that was sweet :D

In HL Maths, I was painstakingly close to an A, and if I didn't screw up the only compulsory question (P2, Q8) I probably would have gotten an A1! I did better in paper 1, unlike everybody else in the country I'd say!

I got 262/300 in German, which means I would have needed 98 in the oral to get an A1, but I'd say I missed out by a few marks.

I nailed Geography baby :D Got 98/100 in the project, and 80/80 in Regional, Economical, Biomes and Short Questions! I kinda messed up physical geography though! :p

Wooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

brian93 wrote: »
    And was only one mark over an A1 in Irish! My paper was marked very harshly I thought, the examiner was literally taking marks of me for the laugh! But I did get full marks in the oral so that was sweet :D

How did you find out what you got in your oral?

How did you find out what you got in your oral?

It had 150 circled on the front of both papers, and I couldn't have gotten the grade I got unless I got 149 or 150, so I'm presuming the 150 is my oral mark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    I'm 0.4% off a higher grade in Chemistry.

Should I appeal?

I think they might find 2 MARKS somewhere even though the marking scheme was really specific as always.

Thoughts/Advice??

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Want to hear something about Chem?
    They counted my best 7 instead of 8 questions!!!:O So I go up 10% for sure.Then I'm 2% off a B2.I'd say appeal if you seen something your pretty sure you should have got marks for.I was awarded 0 marks for a whole page of calculations in q1 even though I went about it the right way.It will be interesting to see.

1% off an A1 in Bio.I think I should have got 6 marks so appealing that.

DCG: 3% off a B3. I dont know whether to appeal.It doesnt bother me too much,I'm content knowing I was 3% off a B,but that said I think my project deserved better marks. HELP.

• Advertisement

I got 262/300 in my French and an A2 overall. I felt I did an A standard oral and am thinking about getting it rechecked. What is the likelihood of me being downgraded? It is difficult to know whether to appeal or not as I do not know the mark i received in my oral.

I don't care about the €40, I would just like to recheck it to put my mind at ease. The only fear I have is of being down-graded.
    My exam looked like it had been corrected twice, also.

Advice?:(

I got 262/300 in my French and an A2 overall. I felt I did an A standard oral and am thinking about getting it rechecked. What is the likelihood of me being downgraded? It is difficult to know whether to appeal or not as I do not know the mark i received in my oral.

I don't care about the €40, I would just like to recheck it to put my mind at ease. The only fear I have is of being down-graded.
    My exam looked like it had been corrected twice, also.

Advice?:(

Please?:(

I got the exact same mark in German - 262/300. Different exams, but the mark distribution is similar. This means that to get to an A1, you would need 98/100 in your oral. Do you think you managed to get in the mid to high nineties in your oral? If not you probably shouldn't appeal, unless you think that your written paper was marked harshly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Got 37% in Physics. I need around 10 marks to bring it up to 39.5%.

Is it impossible or will I have some kind of chance? There were some things I got 0 for like precaution questions in the experiment section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sunshine13

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I was wondering if anyone knew ...

If you get an offer of a course and accept it, and then afterwards appeal an exam and get downgraded so your points are now below that course's requirements, could the college revoke the offer?

I mean, they only offered the course because the required amount of points was achieved ...

The subject in question is English, so it's a bit subjective ...

Cheers for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Please?:(

Hardly anyone (what was the statistic - 40 in 10,000? Few people send it off if they're on the borderline of dropping a grade) falls in grade when it's rechecked, just send it off! :DBonne chance

My English essay was just 65 marks! :O Urgh, bitch! Gave my first q a 50 then went back and crossed that out and for no reason decided to give a 47! :eek: Like, what was she on? The teacher said I'd probably find 20 marks somewhere as English is kinda subjective and I scored pretty well on P2. My spelling as just shocking. Never keep a diary or use Firefox, you start to forget how to spell! :(

Got 98% on my history project, explains the B1! :cool:

Em, the LCVP corrector gave me 0 for everything not exactly (as in word for word!) on the marking scheme. Come on, I can't bloody read the thing beforehand!! I don't think they watched my recorded interview. I heard they never bother, I thought I had full marks on that.

So happy HEAR gave me my spot though tbh I just would of sent everything off just to spite them and their 'wah wah I'm a teacher the pains of having to do something in the summer'-ness. :rolleyes: Thank god I never have to deal with them ever ever ever again.

brian93 wrote: »
    I got the exact same mark in German - 262/300. Different exams, but the mark distribution is similar. This means that to get to an A1, you would need 98/100 in your oral. Do you think you managed to get in the mid to high nineties in your oral? If not you probably shouldn't appeal, unless you think that your written paper was marked harshly!
    eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Thank you so much!

I will get it re-checked as I believe that I did a very good oral. Sure, it's more to put my mind at ease that I've done all I could to get an A1! For me to be downgraded I would have to get 77% and less in the oral. I really don't think my oral was that mark.

Many thanks!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

8 marks off an A1 in home ec. Teacher said the paper was marked fairly but project was marked harshly (69/80). Should I send it off? I don't have €40 to throw away so need to know if there's a reasonable chance of going up :cool: Have to decide in the next hour!!!

Got 71.75% in English and appealing because our marker was so harsh. Teacher said that it definitely wouldn't go down and there's a chance it could go up. :cool:

Looked at one paper and I definitely got a B2 but on my results it was an A2 :eek: What luck...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'm on 89.5% for maths! That's just one blunder off the A1 I'd hoped for. Unfortunately it's marked pretty well and I couldn't find anything that could realistically bring me up to 90%. I'm getting it rechecked anyway - might as well!

My Irish exam was crap, but it was marked lower than I'd expected. I'll get that rechecked too.

On the other hand, I'm on 90.025% for physics!! I'm convinced I must have been on 89-and-a-bit% and the examiner looked for something to bring me up! Sound :pac:

Delighted with English! It's normally not my best subject, but I got about 95%. Ignoring the dodgy B part in Paper 1 and the meh Comparative Study I'd be on 99%! I was delighted! 100/100 in the essay and 60/60 in Hamlet :eek:

Advertisement