Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks/Appeals 2011

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Veterinary Student

Does anyone know whether the appeal examiner is able to know if your teacher viewed the exam paper with you? For example, if someone came in and viewed the paper with you, would the examiner know that two people viewed the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bamhaithliom

5 marks off an A1 in maths. Found a few discrepancies where I was penalized for the same mistake throughout a c part and a 1 or 2 places where my attempts were worthless. I'm sending it off for recheck, not going to hold my breath though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hairybacon

Do I myself have to fill in the yellow form for comments etc. or could somebody do it for me? Sort of need to know, decided at the last minute to get one rechecked.:(??????

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

You don't need to fill out the yellow form you Hand up with your paper (the one where you specify your complaints) but you can fill it out on your own.

The yellow form is optional. You only fill it in if you can pin point certain places that marks have not been awarded where they should've been according to the marking scheme or if you notice a miscalculation has occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Where do you get the yellow form from?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Im sooo annoyed right now!! I went down to my school at 4 with my giro form and I asked was their a different form that I could write certain things on and they said no there wasnt one!!! :(

I got mine from the school after I viewed my scripts, I had to ask for it when I got my form to appeal. The school should definitely have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

All I got was the giro as well..I could do with getting that yellow form because I know exactly where I lost the marks I shouldn't have. We have until the 7th or something don't we?

I'm getting music and biology rechecked.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    All I got was the giro as well..I could do with getting that yellow form because I know exactly where I lost the marks I shouldn't have. We have until the 7th or something don't we?

I'm getting music and biology rechecked.

They have to be in the SEC by the 7th, but returned to the school by tomorrow. Definitely fill in the yellow form if you know where you lost marks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does anyone know whether the appeal examiner is able to know if your teacher viewed the exam paper with you? For example, if someone came in and viewed the paper with you, would the examiner know that two people viewed the exam?

No they won't know and I can't see what difference it would make if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

8 marks off an A1 in home ec. Teacher said the paper was marked fairly but project was marked harshly (69/80). Should I send it off? I don't have €40 to throw away so need to know if there's a reasonable chance of going up :cool: Have to decide in the next hour!!!

Got 71.75% in English and appealing because our marker was so harsh. Teacher said that it definitely wouldn't go down and there's a chance it could go up. :cool:

Looked at one paper and I definitely got a B2 but on my results it was an A2 :eek: What luck...

I was 5 marks off an A1 in Home Ec - pretty annoyed, as I thought the exam went well, and it's the ONLY time in the whole two years that I've gotten below 90% - I even got 95% in the Mocks! :mad: I thought the project was marked harshly too - 76/80, but my teacher assured me before we handed them in last year that mine was absolutely perfect. There was also a question where I'm 100% sure that what I wrote was correct - but it was in the book and not the marking scheme, so I got 0 marks. :mad: I already have the results I need, but I'm sending it for a recheck anyway, as it'll just annoy me otherwise. Did you decide to appeal in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

The yellow form is optional. You only fill it in if you can pin point certain places that marks have not been awarded where they should've been according to the marking scheme or if you notice a miscalculation has occurred.

:eek: I didn't even know about these! I wish I'd had one before I sent back Home Ec, as I got 0 marks for an answer that wasn't in the marking scheme but am convinced that it still answers the question correctly, - would've just liked to highlight it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm almost positive those forms aren't actually checked by the person marking your script. They're checked by someone else for the emergency appeal process as far as I know where there was a miscount of your marks or a question or section was blatantly unmarked so they can update your grade as quick as possible while the CAO offers are in the early rounds.

When you're paper's being re-marked the examiner is looking at it without any bias and with a fresh pair of eyes.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I'm almost positive those forms aren't actually checked by the person marking your script. They're checked by someone else for the emergency appeal process as far as I know where there was a miscount of your marks or a question or section was blatantly unmarked so they can update your grade as quick as possible while the CAO offers are in the early rounds.

When you're paper's being re-marked the examiner is looking at it without any bias and with a fresh pair of eyes.

I definitely need one of these for music so...(s)he added my marks wrong for a question and left out 10 by accident..it's the difference between an A2 and an A1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I definitely need one of these for music so...(s)he added my marks wrong for a question and left out 10 by accident..it's the difference between an A2 and an A1.

Be absolutely sure the 'left out' marks are not in square brackets. If they are, it means they were marked but not added because there were options in the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LivingDaDream

looks like a lot of people are getting home ec rechecked especially because of the journal, sitting on 89.25 myself happy with how my paper was corrected but not the journal 69/80! my mums a home ec teacher and marked journals last year and she said it was marked too hard but looking on this now maybe there were to many A'S so they've altered the marking scheme for journals!

spurious wrote: »
    Be absolutely sure the 'left out' marks are not in square brackets. If they are, it means they were marked but not added because there were options in the question.

The marks weren't added up correctly for the question, hence 10 were left out as such. It's a stand alone question with no options..but thanks for the advice anyway:)

Anita Blow wrote: »

You get a response for each issue raised on the yellow form. The reply comes on a green (could be wrong on colour?) form.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

So....what happens if you forgot to hand the form today..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

mpdg wrote: »
    So....what happens if you forgot to hand the form today..?

Ring the SEC in the morning, get a fax machine and fax it to them. Or if your within driving distance of Athlone (I think) you could just drop it up. May not work because the school also sends the scripts afaik but sure it's worth a shot, especially if you need the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

I went in to view all my papers, just because you can. When I got to my Irish paper I noticed that my total marks for paper 1 had been transferred incorrectly to the total box on paper 2. Today the organising person in my school rang to tell me the grade got changed from a B2 to an A2. Tá mé ar mhuin na muice!!

Advertisement