Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweden/Norway Masters!

• 17-08-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I intend on moving to one of these countries to do my masters & am wondering f anyone who already has gone has any tips- I don't have the language but will be learing also any tips on working to get soe money without the language would be great- cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

I'm thinking about applying for a masters in sweden for next year.

where and what are you thinking about doing? norway didnt seem to have that many courses when I looked online.

swedish is a pretty easy langauge to pick up too if you speak english, I started learning a few months ago, but norway and sweden have some of the best english skills of any non english speaking country.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭markphillips

Hey! I'm in Sweden right now studying for a Masters.

Regarding money, it's not cheap here! I saved a lot. I will be looking for a job but would not recommend anyone comes here relying on getting a job for money - it isn't easy. With a basic level of Swedish you could probably get some casual work though.

http://www.studyinsweden.se/ is a great website for finding course suitable for English speakers.

My course only started this week, but so far so good. The education system here is different to Ireland - a lot more groupwork. You might even be expected to do your Masters thesis in pairs. Overall though, so far so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

oh cool, where are you going and what are you studying?

I have a course picked out already, and I did use that site its brilliant.

as far as money goes its still cheaper overall than doing a masters here though is it not?

I have a basic understanding of swedish so far, been learning bits for a few months but if I really think I'm going ill do some serious studying cos I would really want some sort of work over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anderidian

cool I really want to move over aswel just the money issue as in would you be able to get a job with only english? as a part time job or something??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 detlef

Hey

Some Qs:

Do you have to pay any fees?
    How does the standard of teaching compare with your experience of Irish Third Level teaching.

Thanks

Hey! I'm in Sweden right now studying for a Masters.

Regarding money, it's not cheap here! I saved a lot. I will be looking for a job but would not recommend anyone comes here relying on getting a job for money - it isn't easy. With a basic level of Swedish you could probably get some casual work though.

http://www.studyinsweden.se/ is a great website for finding course suitable for English speakers.

My course only started this week, but so far so good. The education system here is different to Ireland - a lot more groupwork. You might even be expected to do your Masters thesis in pairs. Overall though, so far so good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have not being looking at boards so much here and managed to forget my login details.
    wonton wrote: »
    as far as money goes its still cheaper overall than doing a masters here though is it not?

I have a basic understanding of swedish so far, been learning bits for a few months but if I really think I'm going ill do some serious studying cos I would really want some sort of work over there.

It works out cheaper here overall, good point. I mean in Ireland you could be anywhere upwards of 6k for a masters. I guess the cost of living here is a few thousand over the year, so it does make financial sense. That doesn't make you feel better when you are forking out €7 for a beer though. :o

Oh and detlef, in reply to your questions. There are no fees here, not even "registration fees." It is totally free. From my experience, the lecturers here are more better than at home. I liked my lecturers at home, they were good and all, but the standard here seems to be set slightly higher. Most of my lecturers seem to be doing EU or privately funded research or still active in their fields. From my experience, they have more of a passion for what they are teaching and that really helps. The downside is their English skills do not always match with their IQ so at times that can cause problems.

Hope you are all getting on well with your applications - any more questions, just ask.

Advertisement