Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to sit Honours English in Leaving Cert

• 17-08-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

I'm a qualified Civil Engineer (Beng) graduated in the year 2000, I completed my leaving certificate in 1991. I have always regretted not doing honours english in the leaving, I completed english at lower level. I would like to re-sit the leaving again and just do honours English, is this possible?, would I complete it through distance learning over 1/2 years?. I work fulltime.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

It is very much possible to do it, regarding distance learning, not too sure. Contact you local school, they should be able to guide you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Yes, will do maybe next week when the dust settles with leaving results today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

My aunt did her Leaving Cert over 7 years so its perfectly possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Might be an idea! In the mean time have a look at the Dept of Ed website and download what texts and poems. Will give you a bit of an idea what to expect!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do it in night classes and apply as an external student. Many people do their repeat Leaving at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 P_mcgrath

david4791 wrote: »
    I'm a qualified Civil Engineer (Beng) graduated in the year 2000, I completed my leaving certificate in 1991. I have always regretted not doing honours english in the leaving, I completed english at lower level. I would like to re-sit the leaving again and just do honours English, is this possible?, would I complete it through distance learning over 1/2 years?. I work fulltime.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

yes, it is very possible. You just have to register with the dept of ed as an external student, you do that online, and then select the centre where you would like to sit your English. Usually, this is a private school. In Hewitt College this year, we had a large number of mature students who sat one, two or three subjects, who didn't attend our school.
    If you want to do honours English, I think you should try and contact a really good English teacher, who will be able to help you select the texts/films you'd need to work on for the section of the examination that requires you to compare texts.
    I loved English, both in school and college, and the course nowadays is a lot more varied than back in my day!!
    Best of luck with your studies, if you need any help or guidance, pm or email <email address snipped>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's possible, as long as you're aware that the course you originally sat is different from the new one being examined now. The 2013 syllabus is here. You pick one single text from that list and three others from the comparative list. For HL, one of your texts must be a Shakespearean text. You can find past exam papers here, but remember that the list of texts/poets changes every year.

VECs provide adult Leaving Certificates, but you may not qualify or be able to only sit one subject. Getting an experienced English teacher for grinds might be a better idea.

Advertisement