Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room that has been drylined - mould and condensation

• 17-08-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Not sure this is the right forum.

I recently got a room drylined - it is a converted garage. The roof, walls drylined and the floor also had insulation added. One of the walls inside - a joining wall with the utility room which was not drylined - is now showing signs of mould. The windows and the door going into the garage from the outside - a pvc set of french doors are now always dripping with condensation in the morning. I have to open the doors and windows during the day for it to dry out. Before the drylining, i had mould because the room was freezing. The room now is very warm.

Is there any reason for the mould and condensation

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Is there a vent in the room? The room needs to air or you will get condensation where the hot air meets the cold window/doors...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 AnnRo

no there are no vents - could i put these in the windows - like they insist you have now if you get your walls cavity filled?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

if you have pvc windows its simple.buy correct colour vent and mark cut out on inside of window.drill a series of holes about 10mm i think then screw vent cover on.be carefull when drilling that bit doesnt get dragged off line.i usually drill 2 holes at both ends about 4mm then widen them out with bigger bit from each side of window.then draw center line across from one hole to the other.simply drill series of holes from each side of window.job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Is also an option to use a 110mm core bit to cut a circular hole, in a wall, outside to inside, Angled slighly upwards, place a piece of 4" pipe in and cover with internal and external vent covers - You could put a hit and miss cover on the inside if you are concerned about too much ventilation.

In any case the condensation is, without doubt, being caused by a lack of circulation of air. Leave a small window slightly opened in the meantime.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

If the room if the work is fairly recent, the room may still be drying out, from the newly plastered walls and a concrete screed..??,if the plaster is still of a dull pink colour, and not yet turned dusty white, then maybe it has still a bit of drying to do, open opposite windows during the day and see does it improve......

• Advertisement
Advertisement