Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College with out leaving cer

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hello guys .

I just would like to ask you if there is any chance to get into the college with out leaving cert ? For example go for any courses like a year or anythink and then go to college ? Also my friend is going to the computer courses in FAs/socialwalfer anythink like that i'm not sure ? And he will get paid for that a 100 or 200 euro a week ? (how this is works ) Anything what will give me FETAC lvl 5 or more (this is what i need) . If somebody can help me i will be really happy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Have you considered doing an access course? As far as I know it enables one to progress to third level without having a leaving cert in some circumstances.
    They are available all over the country.

If you are interested in completing your leaving cert you can do so as an external candidate (study at home) It is also available at most PLC locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 college

Sibylla wrote: »
    Have you considered doing an access course? As far as I know it enables one to progress to third level without having a leaving cert in some circumstances.
    They are available all over the country.

If you are interested in completing your leaving cert you can do so as an external candidate (study at home) It is also available at most PLC locations.

I'm intresting in computer science coures's . Also i would like to complete my leaving cert but also i would like to go to any college for computer science . Can you give me more information about i ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ryan84

I did do my leaving cert but got low marks. I wasn't too interested in going to college at the time.

But then I went back as a mature student. You need to be 23. I did a foundation course in Commerce and then (provided you pass the course) you can choose to study Commerce or Business Information Systems at NUI Galway or similar courses at GMIT. The course was two evenings a week in NUI Galway. It is also possible to do a foundation course in Engineering I think.

Depends on where you are but I am sure most colleges have something similar. My leaving cert was not taken into consideration when I applied for the course.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/prospectivestudents/accesscourses/

Check it out for yourself. I'm interested in doing science there at UCD through this access course. I did not do well in my leaving cert and wwant to get back into college and apparently this is a very good way to do it. Read about it there and see what you think. Bear in mind it might be different for different colleges, there are certainly different rules for different courses.

do you know guys any courses like ( garda , fireservice ,computer sience , ) where i dont need leaving cert ? For example do 2 years of any courses and then go for anohter 3 years college . Anythink like that ?

• Advertisement

Ps. The story is that i didnt do well my leaving cert and i pass only 4 subjects .

Go to your local Fás Employment Service, they have lots of courses.

i know but can i go with leaving cert with 4 passes only ? also will i get fetac lvl or anythink like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

If you did actually do the leaving im fairly sure you can still do a PLC.
    Most don't care what you passed or failed.

Noodleworm wrote: »
    If you did actually do the leaving im fairly sure you can still do a PLC.
    Most don't care what you passed or failed.

do you know any of them ? ( it will be greate if there will have computer sience )

• Advertisement

I would like to get into this course :

http://www.colaistedhulaigh.ie/full-time-courses/science-and-technology/computer-science.php

But when you will go into that website it say :
    [B]ENTRY REQUIREMENTS[/B]

Leaving Certificate (minimum pass in ordinary level Maths) with  minimum of Pass in Ordinary Level Maths and an interview. Mature  students are         welcome.

So i dont think if i will get there if i pass maths on c1 and 3 other subjects on c ? Right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Learning some grammar would be a good start.

Hard to take you serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Mak_United wrote: »
    Learning some grammar would be a good start.

Hard to take you serious.

Relax,
    OP's first language is clearly not English and he/she is just looking for info.

Theres are always ways to get into whatever course you want to do. You just have to research and find out how. Contact Fás, local colleges, universities etc and you will find a way eventually. Most courses in Fás will put you through a small intro course 1st if you don't have what you need to go straight into it.

Advertisement