Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom free 12mb upgrade

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

Just got a letter from Eircom this morning informing me that as a business line user I'm being upgraded from 8-12mb.

Anyone else get this or more specifically, know when it is due to be rolled out? My router cp still reads 8187/1118 kbps.

Also, are residential users going to be upgraded too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum. Best to get a direct answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

mark_79 wrote: »
    Just got a letter from Eircom this morning informing me that as a business line user I'm being upgraded from 8-12mb.

Anyone else get this or more specifically, know when it is due to be rolled out? My router cp still reads 8187/1118 kbps.

Hi Mark_79
    yes eircom are offering free upgrades on business line as well as residential NGB broadband. You can see the full range of Business Broadband Packages here
    If you PM me your tel. number I can check to see if migration has been processed yet.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

got the same letter, but when I rang the support guys they told me the letters are out before the upgrades. Will be another couple of weeks before it takes place.

syboit wrote: »
    got the same letter, but when I rang the support guys they told me the letters are out before the upgrades. Will be another couple of weeks before it takes place.

Hi syboit
    yes letters will be issued a few weeks before migration is processed. Any further delay than this let me know.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Got the letter aswell. Bit stupid of eircom to be sending the letters out a few weeks ahead. Shouldnt the letters say that we 'will upgrade your line in a few weeks' and not that the line is already updated. It's a bit misleading.

Tony, I'm going to PM you my work number and home number, can you find out a rough migration date of both?

• Advertisement

Got the letter aswell. Bit stupid of eircom to be sending the letters out a few weeks ahead. Shouldnt the letters say that we 'will upgrade your line in a few weeks' and not that the line is already updated. It's a bit misleading.

Tony, I'm going to PM you my work number and home number, can you find out a rough migration date of both?

Hi Fatal Exception
    have received your PM and will reply soon.
    Tony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Great news. Don't really mind waiting, it is a free upgrade after all.

I know I probably shouldn't be posting this on here but shouldn't the other ISP's be offering free upgrades too?

Great news. Don't really mind waiting, it is a free upgrade after all.

I know I probably shouldn't be posting this on here but shouldn't the other ISP's be offering free upgrades too?

Hi mark_79
    your upgrade should now be active, can see good speed results there. Let me know if any further issue or query.
    Tony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Hi mark_79
    your upgrade should now be active, can see good speed results there. Let me know if any further issue or query.
    Tony

It certainly is. Had a quick check before I left for home tonight.

Thanks for your time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

Just wondering can you check if i am set for an upgrade shortly I am on the churchfield exchange. I'm in need over better upload speeds due to an increased amount of cloud usage?

• Advertisement

It certainly is. Had a quick check before I left for home tonight.

Thanks for your time :)
    Good to hear that Mark 79 :D any further query post me here.
    Tony

Cork981 wrote: »
    Just wondering can you check if i am set for an upgrade shortly I am on the churchfield exchange. I'm in need over better upload speeds due to an increased amount of cloud usage?

Hi Cork981
    yes no problem, have received your PM and will be back to you a bit later today.
    Tony

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im in same situation, just come back from spain to find Eircom letter telling me I have been upgraded to 12meg business broadband, however when i check my router settings its the same as it's always been for the past 3 years or so when we were on eircom home advanced.
    Connection speed 7616/672, fastpath.adsl1
    I will PM my number.

Cheers:)

Gonzo wrote: »
    im in same situation, just come back from spain to find Eircom letter telling me I have been upgraded to 12meg business broadband, however when i check my router settings its the same as it's always been for the past 3 years or so when we were on eircom home advanced.
    Connection speed 7616/672, fastpath.adsl1
    I will PM my number.

Cheers:)
    Hi Gonzo
    Thanks have your PM. Did the letter specify a time frame for the upgrade. I have been advised can be up to 4 to 6 weeks?
    Any indication given on letter you received?
    Tony

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hey Tony
    no time frame given other than it sounded like they already increased it! However everything is exactly the same as it has been for past 3 years or so.

at the start it says:
    To show you our appreciation for your continued support, we are delighted to inform you we have increased the speed of your business broadband for Free!.

about 3 lines down it says:
    Your broadband speed has been increased from up to 8mb to up to 12mb, for free!. That's a speed increase of up to 50%. This speed increase will get your business running faster, increasing it's productivity and efficiency.

towards the end it says:
    We hope you enjoy this improvement to your eircom Broadband service.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Hey Tony
    no time frame given other than it sounded like they already increased it! However everything is exactly the same as it has been for past 3 years or so.

at the start it says:
    To show you our appreciation for your continued support, we are delighted to inform you we have increased the speed of your business broadband for Free!.

about 3 lines down it says:
    Your broadband speed has been increased from up to 8mb to up to 12mb, for free!. That's a speed increase of up to 50%. This speed increase will get your business running faster, increasing it's productivity and efficiency.

towards the end it says:
    We hope you enjoy this improvement to your eircom Broadband service.

Hi Gonzo
    yes can see you are on approx 7Mb.
    For some customers the migration is automatic, some customers require re-jumpering at exchange to avail of migration, we are working through these. Some customers may have older modems ( actually very few of these ) which cannot support the faster speeds and we will be sending them modems.
    I am checking on the status of your own case now and will update as soon as I can.

Tony

Cheers Tony thats great, the modem I use at the moment is a Belkin only about a year old, it says it supports ADSL2+ so should be fine for an upgrade I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

I have 8 meg and get 5, what will i get with 12 if i get it. I am residential non business. Is it free and will the download allowance change?

MapForJ wrote: »
    I have 8 meg and get 5, what will i get with 12 if i get it. I am residential non business. Is it free and will the download allowance change?
    Hi MapForJ
    the free upgrade from 8Mb to 12Mb is for business line customers, however if you PM me your tel. number I can test to see if possible to increase speed here.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

Hi MapForJ
    the free upgrade from 8Mb to 12Mb is for business line customers,
    only
    however if you PM me your tel. number I can test to see if possible to increase speed here.
    Tony
    already checked they cannot as they said my line would get dropouts

• Advertisement

MapForJ wrote: »
    only

already checked they cannot as they said my line would get dropouts
    Ok MapForJ
    yes it is possible if line set above max speed you may experience dropouts.
    If you have any further query let me know.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I got a letter saying i was upgraded to 24Mb but when i checked the router it was still registering 8Mb.

The router is an old Netopia one so maybe it can't handle the new speeds.

Can you check if/when the speed will be upgraded?

Hi mark_79
    yes most of these upgrades should be automatic but some may require jumpering at exchange. Can you PM me your tel number so that I can see what the status is on your particular line?
    Thanks
    Tony

Hi syboit
    yes letters will be issued a few weeks before migration is processed. Any further delay than this let me know.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

Do we have any further info for these upgrades in the Cork exchanges ?

thanks

Bump.

Still no sign of this upgrade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Bump.

Still no sign of this upgrade!

Hi syboit,

The Little Island exchange in Cork was enabled for NGB late last month. So you are free to upgrade through the business service center 1800 601 701 (option 3)

Thanks, Mark

Hi syboit,

The Little Island exchange in Cork was enabled for NGB late last month. So you are free to upgrade through the business service center 1800 601 701 (option 3)

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark, rang the tech support and they told me yes adsl2 is there, just waiting now for the re-jump from the onsite engineers.

Thanks Mark, rang the tech support and they told me yes adsl2 is there, just waiting now for the re-jump from the onsite engineers.

Hi syboit.

Let me know if you have any problems migrating to the NGB.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

Is there anyway for sure to find out when this upgrade is going to take place ? My latest bill now says 12mb (so I'm being charged for it, but none of the benefit). If I ring customer services and tell them the guys on boards.ie said the exchange is on NGB and I'm just waiting, all I get is a "whats a boards.ie" and "who are these guys!"

• Advertisement

Hi,

Is there anyway for sure to find out when this upgrade is going to take place ? My latest bill now says 12mb (so I'm being charged for it, but none of the benefit). If I ring customer services and tell them the guys on boards.ie said the exchange is on NGB and I'm just waiting, all I get is a "whats a boards.ie" and "who are these guys!"

Hi syboit

I am checking this for you now and I will get back to you soon.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement