Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Decent Monitor to suit my needs

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hey all. Does anyone know a good monitor which meets, or comes close enough to, these requirements:
    1. 1200px minimum height
    2. 24" or more size
    3. HDMI input (for xbox)
    4. Nice response time and contrast ratio
    5. No dearer than €350

I've been looking around online, but it's hard to find one that ticks all the boxes, and gets good reviews.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW - Komplett

I like the look of this, but there's no hdmi input.
    Is it a big deal using a convertor to plug hdmi into dvi or vga for example?
    From what I understand, both of these are at least as good as HD.

Overheal wrote: »

Forgive my bewilderment, but is an LCD with an LED backlight, like you just showed me, actually what they call an LED monitor?

Why are they better, is it the detail or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

that saved me a paragraph or two

• Advertisement

That was very....ILLUMINATING! Because they're backlit.

That narrows it down a bit anyway, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chuie

Hi, I'm looking for a external monitor to use with my laptop. It's for work purposes so I would be looking for as good a monitor as I can get with the below specs:
    1. Between €500 and €1000
    2. 24" or more in size
    3. Low Response time and high Contrast and dynamic ratio
    4. Options to connect tv to as well

I've looked at different models of Dell, Samsung and LG monitors.
    Does anyone have any advice or suggesstions?

Thanks
    Simon

Few points:
    Does your laptop have a good GPU? A low response time is secondary to the ability to be feed it.

If you want TV then you need to either buy a tuner box(HDD Recorders have them) or buy a TV rather than a monitor.

What size is your desk? IMO putting a massive screen on a small desk where you're sitting only a foot away is just nasty. I wouldnt go any bigger than a 24".

Thanks for your response!

What GPU would the laptop need to have to feed a low response time monitor?

I was just enquirying if there was a good monitor/screen that also came with a tv tuner so I could have both in 1 but I can look into getting a tuner box at a later stage. For the moment I just want the best possible monitor screen for work purposes on which I will be using it for reading articles, writing documents, developing applications, etc.

My desk would be a standard size (about 25 x 45 inches) so would you recommend a 24" rather than anything bigger? I was looking at 27" with a response time of 6ms and a 2560 x 1440 resolution (Dell U2711).
    Would that make the size more efficent or would I still be better of going for a lower response time and lower resolution 24" monitor?

Would you be able to recommend the best 24" and the best 27" for what I'm looking for?

Chuie wrote: »
    Thanks for your response!

What GPU would the laptop need to have to feed a low response time monitor?

I was just enquirying if there was a good monitor/screen that also came with a tv tuner so I could have both in 1 but I can look into getting a tuner box at a later stage. For the moment I just want the best possible monitor screen for work purposes on which I will be using it for reading articles, writing documents, developing applications, etc.

My desk would be a standard size (about 25 x 45 inches) so would you recommend a 24" rather than anything bigger? I was looking at 27" with a response time of 6ms and a 2560 x 1440 resolution (Dell U2711).
    Would that make the size more efficent or would I still be better of going for a lower response time and lower resolution 24" monitor?

Would you be able to recommend the best 24" and the best 27" for what I'm looking for?

If you're working on static stuff like that then 6ms is plenty, 8/10 would be fine too. Unless you're working on video or gaming response time isnt really an issue. Watching TV on it fast sports will be effected, but thats about it.

IMO 27 would be a little big, if you think you'd benefit from it(do you need glasses or w/e? ) go for it, but I couldnt say any bigger would be worthwhile.

The screen you mentioned is "pro" end stuff, most people only go up to 1920x1280. Do you have a particular need for it?

What laptop do you have? It all depends on that and 90% of the time the GPU cannot be changed.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help!

My current laptop specification is:
    Dell Studio 1555
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P 8600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB
    Display Adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series

Windows Experience Index (not sure if this is of any value):
    Processor: 6
    Memory: 6
    Graphics: 5
    Gaming graphics: 6.2
    Primary Hard disk: 5.6

I would be looking to upgrade to a new laptop or desktop this year so this laptop would just be used to keep me going until then - I know it's quite old!

To confirm, my desks is 80 x 119 metres so I would be sitting less than 80 metres from the screen.

Obviously the bigger the better but would I get a better display if I was to get a 24" (with resolution of 1920X1200 and apsect ratio of 16:10) rather than a 27" (with resolution 2560x1440)?

In your opinion which would be the best 24" and which would be the best 26/27" monitors for document reading/writing, video watching, application development, etc.?

That card would be ok I think.
    Two integrated DVI display outputs
    Primary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)2
    Secondary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI only)2
    Each includes a dual-link HDCP encoder with on-chip key storage for high resolution playback of protected content3
    Two integrated 400 MHz 30-bit RAMDACs
    Each supports analog displays connected by VGA at all resolutions up to 2048x15362
    DisplayPort™ output support
    Supports 24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x16002
    Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 KHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution4
    HDMI output support
    Supports all display resolutions up to 1920x10802
    Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 KHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution4

HDMI is going to limit you to 1920x1080 it seems. And google says you have a HDMI port(If you arent a photoshopper its no biggie tbh).

In that case I'd recommend Dell again but drop to the "ST" line, or SX if available(few extras on that line).

Screens are a really interpretative thing, personally I like Samsung and Dells, and as I have an ST2210 I can be sure in recommending that line.

Advertisement