Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope for a .22

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I need a new scope for my .22 . My old one was a 4X12X40. I was searching around the web and i found this one for incredible value http://www.sutter-gmbh.de/Rifle-Scopes/Illuminated/Zoom-6-24x50/Rifle-Scope-6-24x50-AOE-d%3D254-MD::2404.html.

It is a 6X24X50 and at €70 it seems like a good deal. I was just wondering has anyone else ever bought or owned a Sutter scope. Also would I need all the zoom or is it a case of the more you can get the better and how good is the illuminated mill-dot.

What is the ideal zoom for a .22 scope? 19 votes

No zoom necessary
    0% 0 votes
    A fixed zoom eg.4X
    0% 0 votes
    4X12
    0% 0 votes
    4X16
    42% 8 votes
    6X24
    10% 2 votes
    10X40
    47% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Im not saying it will happen with this scope. But Ive bought manys a cheap scope over the years for it to break 6 months later. Im sure Im not the only person here on Boards who thats happened to. And to be honest with you, that scope looks like just another one of those cheap chinese scopes.

I had a chinese one and it was allright for holding a basic zero, but that was it. I couldnt track with it. Every click had its own value. One click might take you up 1/4 off an inch and the next click would might take you up an additional 2/4's and then after 4 clicks instead of being up an inch you could be up near 2 and half inches.

My advice, get a good scope, it might take a bit longer to save up, and it might be a bit more of a sting on the wallet. But better clicks, better glass, will take a beaten.... and will actually be cheaper in the longrun since your not buying a new scope every year.

And to answer your question, 6-24 isnt too bad for a 22. I had one for years. But given the choice Id much prefer something that starts at 4x (and goes up to say 12) for the wider field of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Balls I voted wrong.

I voted for 10x40 thinking it was a fixed 10 times magnification scope with a 40mm objective lense. I think Clive had one of these on his CZ and it seemed a tidy little scope.

I now realize the poll was for a magnification range of 10 up to 40. That's more than likely overkill for a lot of peoples needs.

I'd say 6-24 too, .22lr rifles with well suited ammo are accurate guns but shot placement is still important for humanely dealing with your quarry. So as the saying goes, and I think Ezridax said the same yesterday, when it comes to magnification I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've said it recently that the Father stuck a 6-24 Hawke Varmint SF on his .22lr. Cheap enough, but not so cheap that i'm nervous everytime i pull the trigger will it still be holding its zero.

As Vegeta rigtly quoted above i'd sooner have it than not. Also at 6-10 power i have the field of view as a fixed or low power scope, but when i need it (for any reason) i can go all the way to 24.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭clivej

I've had many scopes on my 22lr. From 8-32x60, 6-15x40, 4-12x40 and the best was a 10x40 fixed mag with good glass.
    You'll only be shooting out to a max distance of 130y and the last scope did all I wanted. Could also hit clays out at 300y as well and still see them.
    That 10x40 was a Bushnell elite3200 with target turrets and they retail for £250ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Vegeta wrote: »
    Balls I voted wrong.

I voted for 10x40 thinking it was a fixed 10 times magnification scope with a 40mm objective lense. I think Clive had one of these on his CZ and it seemed a tidy little scope.

I now realize the poll was for a magnification range of 10 up to 40. That's more than likely overkill for a lot of peoples needs.

I'd say 6-24 too, .22lr rifles with well suited ammo are accurate guns but shot placement is still important for humanely dealing with your quarry. So as the saying goes, and I think Ezridax said the same yesterday, when it comes to magnification I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I voted the exact same way for the exact same reason.

I thought you meant 10x42 fixed power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I have used a Sutter scope on my 223 and on a 6.5x55 and found them very good for the price. with both scopes I took foxes out to 200 meters under lamp light and both scope held Zero.

Both scopes were this one:

http://www.sutter-gmbh.de/Rifle-Scopes/Illuminated/Zoom-6-24x50/Rifle-Scope-6-24x50-E-SF-d%3D30-LP::2407.html

and if you could stretch to the €130 mark it would be a good buy.

Advertisement