Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Service Providers

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:33am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you are out of contract you can change service providers.

For example my 3 contract is up I can port to Vodafone when ever. No notice. Just pop in to the shop and port.

Does this apply to other service providers?

I am wondering can I port from one tv provider to another like I have done in the past with a mobile provider. Also with electricity provider?

Do the consumer agency have any policies on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

All providers have different T&C's but as a general guide 30 days notice is good. Then once thats up contact the other provider and ask them to move you.

Some providers once you're not in contract require no notice but you''d need to check this with your own individual providers. For example, for me Three require 30 days notice before I move networks or they'll charge me for a month where as when I moved from Bord Gais to the ESB recently they required zero notice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Also worth remembering that "some" providers may charge a cancellation fee, an example of this is UTV charge 30e even if your not in contract

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Usually 30 day notice is required.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

there is a notice period regardless if a contact is in place or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

godtabh wrote: »
    It depends on the provider. Read their T&C's it should be clear from them. Maybe tell us the provider?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

godtabh wrote: »
    But you are still in a contract; only difference is that the minimum time of the contract has been completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

TV operators don't share networks, so you can't port from UPC to Sky, for example. There is nothing to port anyway, you just cancel one and join the other. There may be a cancellation notification period on this, and usually it is 30 days.

You can change electricity and gas provider any time you like, and no notice is required. That is unless you are in some special payment plan, which comes with a minimum term and other conditions.

Basically, it all boils down to the terms of use for whatever service you're talking about. Operators are allowed by law to request notification periods and termination fees. As long as they don't hide these things from you, then it's all OK.

Advertisement