Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month lease

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Okay so this might seem a silly question, but I was wondering is there definitely a clause in lease's to say that you can move out of a place after 6 months, once you give the landlord the required 5 weeks notice? Is that the standard thing or is that only some lease's? I'm moving to Carlow soon and I know I'll only be there for 6 months. I'm looking at a place that has been on rent.ie for 4months now so it's clearly not being snapped up...

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

No, it's not in every lease, just in some leases. You could always ask the landlord to put in a 6 month break clause or even just to rent to you on a 6 month short term lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Like above, just ask for a 6 month lease. If it's been up for 4 months the LL would probably be happy enough to give 6 months instead of a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Ask him for a 12 month lease with a 6 month break clause AND an option to exercise the additional 6 months. - that way if you don't like it there you can leave after 6 months. If you do like it and want to stay the LL has to give you first refusal on your extension option.

Advertisement