Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official merchandise and licence agreements

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

I am at planning stages of setting up my own business. Part of my business will focus on selling official and non official sports merchandise. However I am really stuck here so I have a few questions that I would really appreciate help on.

1. Where would I source official merchandise from? Not so much jerseys but other types, like hats, cups, t-shirts etc? I have contacted many of the clubs and they said to contact the likes of adidas, umbro, cantebury etc but these are not the manufactures of such merchandise. I cant seem to find any wholesalers anywhere. I have scoured the net!

2. If wanted to design my own merchandise how do i go about getting license agreements for the use of the club logo?

3. What are the legal rules surrouning unoffical merchandise? I see many sites selling replicas and "unofficial" stuff so I was just wondering is this legal? If not where would I begin to look for suppliers?

Apologies for all the questions but I am new to this area so just really in need of helping hand to get me started.

Thanks a million :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Toplion do Umbro in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

ljd wrote: »
    Hi

I am at planning stages of setting up my own business. Part of my business will focus on selling official and non official sports merchandise. However I am really stuck here so I have a few questions that I would really appreciate help on.

1. Where would I source official merchandise from? Not so much jerseys but other types, like hats, cups, t-shirts etc? I have contacted many of the clubs and they said to contact the likes of adidas, umbro, cantebury etc but these are not the manufactures of such merchandise. I cant seem to find any wholesalers anywhere. I have scoured the net!

2. If wanted to design my own merchandise how do i go about getting license agreements for the use of the club logo?

3. What are the legal rules surrouning unoffical merchandise? I see many sites selling replicas and "unofficial" stuff so I was just wondering is this legal? If not where would I begin to look for suppliers?

Apologies for all the questions but I am new to this area so just really in need of helping hand to get me started.

Thanks a million :)

1. Have you particular clubs in mind? A lot of the premiership club tat is produced under license and sold through normal gift wholesalers.

2. It depends on the club, talk to them. Try asking for the merchandising office.

3 If you are caught, the fines are very stiff, tens of thousands depending on the "brand"/Club

Advertisement