Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17hmr vs .223

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I am looking at getting myself a rifle for shooting foxes and rabbits. Could some please give me advice of prices of ammo for both calibers? Also could they tell me what rifles to be avoided .I am also open to any offers from any one selling a rifle or gunsafe suitable for scoped rifle and shotgun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I am looking at getting myself a rifle for shooting foxes and rabbits. Could some please give me advice of prices of ammo for both calibers? Also could they tell me what rifles to be avoided .I am also open to any offers from any one selling a rifle or gunsafe suitable for scoped rifle and shotgun.

I'm sorry to do this... But a .204 would sit nicely between those two calibres... (runs and hides under table)

On a serious note, 17hmr is going to be a lot cheaper to run and get licenced on than a .223. But the .223 is the superior calibre, especially for fox shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Im just taking a guess here.

Is this your first rifle?

If it is Id steer clear of the 223 for now. Just for the fact that the bullet price is going to kill you (and aswell its overkill for rabbits, if you take a bodyshot it looks like he got hit by a lorry). A packet of v-max bullets is about 26euro and you only get 20 bullets in the pack. And believe me, for your first rifle your probably going to go through a couple of hundred bullets in the first half hour :D

THe 17hmr is cheaper. I think its about 19 euro for a pack of bullets.

If this is your first rifle Id really advise you stick with a 22. You will kill foxes with a 22 easily enough and your not going to make sh!te of a rabbit when you shoot him. Plus you got the added benefit of being able to buy 500 bullets for little under 30euro. Its a cheaper gun in general. Easier to licence. And a lot more fun to shoot.

EDIT: On the licence note. Im not saying it cant be done. But you might find it very tricky to get a 223 as a first rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

good point by glensman there re the 204 but that is a bit more expensive again. If your plannin on shootin loads of rabbits and a few foxes and do some plinking the 17 will be best. If your planning on shooting loads of foxes and only the odd rabbit and the odd target go for the 223. Head shots on a rabbit will take the Head clean off alot of the time and the meat will be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Gerry L has made a bunch of good points in his post, especially the cost difference between even the .22 rimfire and the .17cal.

Getting good with a .22 will teach you a whole lot about shot placement and the need to carefully consider everything else around you before you squeeze that trigger - all of which will be vital lessons to have learnt when you finally move on the the far more lively .223. If you can demonstrate a couple of years safe and conscientious shooting behind you, then the eventual acquisition of a .223 might be looked on more favourably by AGS when the time comes to move up a notch.

Bleeve me, a good hit with any of the modern high-speed .22 bullets in the right place is every bit as deadly to Charlie as a hit with a .300Win Mag. Dead is dead.

Over here in yUK, where the fox population is every bit as crafty as it is in Ireland, at least half the foxes taken in my county fall to a .22 fired by a careful marksman at between 50 and 75m.

Another point is that the .204 Ruger is VERY noisy without a moderator, but a .22, even without one, is not going to alert the entire county with a shot.

Just sayin'.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Not to start the row again, it's been had here before...

But a .22lr is NOT suitable for foxes.

Apart from that, all the advice above is good advice.

• Advertisement

ah lad come on a 22lr is well able for a fox at short range. Hate this bein brought up again myself but its usually people who have never shot foxes with a rimfire that say they are not suitable. No one is saying centerfire is not better suited but at sensible ranges a 22lr 22 mag or hmr will all kill foxes and as tac said dead is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 HarryGorman

Gerry and Tac are right. Id take 223 of the list.

Not meaning to stir the pot, but I have shot foxes dead on the spot with a 22lr. Once you have the right bullet, and hes close range and your a good shot there shouldnt be a problem.

Saying that, Id be inclined to say go 17hmr. I wouldnt dream of 204 if this your first rifle. Unless you got a money press out the back. Im paying over E30 for 20 bullets for my 204. Could be hard to licence aswell. Stick with the 17hmr or 22lr.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads,

There are literally dozens of threads about .204, rimfire -vs- C/F, suitable fox calibers, etc. PLEASE lets not turn this into another 100,000 page debate on .204 -vs- .223, etc. I know all threads go somewhat off topic, but lets try and get the OP an answer or suggestion on his question before the thread heads off into the sunset.

A .17 is a great rifle to start off with. Its well capable of taking rabbits, and foxes at longer distances than a .22lr. It has not got the reach or power of a .223, but then its cheaper to run than a .223.

In relation to the license. There is no reason whatsoever why you cannot get a .223 as a first rifle. I kow two members here that have gotten their first license on a .308 rifle. The only reason why someone should not rather than could not get a license for a .223 as a first license is the person's own ability as has been mentioned above. Just because you can get it does not mean you should.

If it came down to the choice between the two as a first rifle i would look at the .17hmr especially as a first time rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jackdarabbit

Thanks for all the post so far .I was thinking the .17hmr would be a better option for me . Any advice on good .17hmr rifles . I had a go with the marlin 17v but wasn't too impressed with how difficult it was to get magazine on when lying down . Any advice will be much appreciated.Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

I had a sako quad in 22lr a while back... It was a great wee rifle. So good Im actually on the look out for another one. Just make sure that when your ordering you tell him you want a 17hmr barrel. Brand new your looking near 800euro. Then say an extra 250euro for a scope and youve got yourself one helluva of a setup that will serve you well for years and years to come. And its got good resale value aswell. Whats your budget by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

CZ, Anschutz, Sako, etc all do a great .17, but if like me you fancy something a little different i'm currently waiting to get a look, with a view to uying, one of these;
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-zXaL252GHYjNiCZ1KeHpQnvH9E0SVX9qj6bptOZC4iUu13fB

Savage TRR-SR in .17hmr. apparently its going to run around the €800 mark.

However if you're budget will not hit that mark then check out the for sale section, and your local dealers. Always a few going with scope, and accessories for the right money.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

every single person has the same prob with the marlin 917 mag! They put it on too far forward and miss the spot. I did it a few times when i got the rifle first but not since the first day id say has it happened again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

To the op I have a Marlin 917VS-CF 17 HMR & A Sako 75 223 ,find myself picking up the HMR more often then the Sako.Both are exremely accurate & deadly on any small game.Get yourself a scope costing as much as the rifle & enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭beretta391

Willie iv a 223 and .17, if ya buy the 223 and shoot ur rabbits ya will have nothing of them to collect lol, bullet price im giving from 9 euro to 27 euro but savage on foxes, i bought the .17hmr and was impressed with it, i do buy 50 fedrals 18gr for 14euro but often hear ya get them cheaper but i still think thats SQUEAK and savage for the rabbits up on 200yards, had it there for time fox shooting and bursted 3 foxs in the one night with it up to 150 yards, Brilliant gun , if i was you i buy the two of them, buy your .17hmr first get used to it and then buy the 223 you will be impressed. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Hi everybody, I'm new on here been reading for years but just joined up.

I have a CZ .17hmr, a CZ .22 and a Ruger 10/22, i use the .22's loads more then the .17hmr. and would say the .22 is way more useable but then again i have a slight disability and only shoot out to about 80 or 90 yards max from my house and i've got a few foxes with both the .22 and .17 but i mainly shoot magpies, crows etc because i keep hen's and the steel a load of food.

ah yeah 22 is the only job for the shootin you described Pedro. If your regularly shooting further than that and at larger animals than crows and mags you would want the hmr especially for foxes past that range

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jackdarabbit

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

bump

You must have a fair pain in your head now lad from all the bumps you've suffered today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Not sure if you got a rifle yet but if your still looking Patrick Carley in ballymurn co. Wexford has a sako quad .17hmr for sale. Its pricy but heard great reviews about them.

http://www.patrickcarleyfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=4

Advertisement