Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Persistent Punctures

• 17-08-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guy'sHopefully somebody can help.I'm relatively new to cycling and I'm having bother with persistent punctures in my back wheel. I've changed the tube a number of times myself and i'm getting fed up with it at this stage.After each ride, I leave the bike back in the garage it is invariably flat the next day. On the last occasion i actually brought it to the local bicycle shop who fitted a new tube. He was of the opinion that I was pinching the tubes. However, one cycle (50km) later it's flat again.the bicycle is a trek 1.2 and came with Bontrager wheels, with tape around the wheel (I presume to stop the spokes puncturing the tube from the inside) which is in good condition. The tyre is a Bontrager Select B with approx 800km on it. The tyre itself isn't wearing well but it is by no means worn out and I have checked it inside and out for anything that may be stuck in it.any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What does the puncture look like? Does it always occur in the same place?

Sounds like it might be pinch flats, which occur cos the tyre isn't pumped up high enough. It should be pumped to a minimum 100PSI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

is the puncture always at the same place on the tube? inside or outside of the tube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Swap the tyres from front to back or vise versa and fit new tubes. Inflate the tyres to the correct pressure. If your still getting punctures in the same wheel, it has to be the wheel rim.

Never use tyre levers when fitting tyres and if you can, don't use levers when removing the tyre either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Check the inside of the tyre again, I had the same persistant puncture problem and I found that the inside of the tyre had become worn (or possibly faulty in the first place) and was causing a puncture where it was rubbing against the tube.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What tyre pressure are you running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Did you look at the punctured tubes? If not, have a look at this one. Is the puncture a pinch flat (generally two holes - like a snakebite)? Where is it - on the rim-facing side or the tyre-facing one? Before you take the tyre off, mark it at the valve hole. See if there's anything on the tyre roughly where the puncture was. Have a look at the rim tape there also.

The fact that none of these punctures seem to result in an immediate loss of pressure might suggest something very small pushing against the tube.

Of course, the shop may have been right about you pinching the tubes and you have just been unlucky with the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

07Lapierre wrote: »

Never use tyre levers when fitting tyres and if you can, don't use levers when removing the tyre either.

So what should you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

ShayK1 wrote: »
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    So what should you use?

Just use your hands when fitting a tyre. You'd need levers to get one off though.

OP you might just be extremely unlucky or have rubbish tyres too. I was getting one puncture a week (200kms approx) on a set of kenda tyres, switched to the gatorskins over a year ago and not one since..... jinxed now anyway

Just use your hands when fitting a tyre. You'd need levers to get one off though.

OP you might just be extremely unlucky or have rubbish tyres too. I was getting one puncture a week (200kms approx) on a set of kenda tyres, switched to the gatorskins over a year ago and not one since..... jinxed now anyway

Most Road bike tyres can be removed without levers. It takes practice and the correct "technique" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Check your tyres to see if there is anything embedded in them (stones, bit glass, shards of metal etc) - you might also check to see if the tyre has any significant cuts or lumps missing from it which could leave it weak in a particular spot.

Have you got a track pump? One you have to anchor with your foot and and which has a dial on it showing pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

The wheel rim is made by getting a long bit of steel and welding the ends to make circle.
    Sometimes the weld isn't smoothed down enough and it punctures the tube,repeatedly, in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

@OP - I had Bontrager tyres which came stock with my Spesh - brutal. Punctures every few days. Changed to ContiGP4000s and haven't had a puncture in months.

Bin the Bontragers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭086Jazzy

Thanks Guy's for all your responses. It has certainly given me food for thought and I will carry out a few checks this evening on the tyre tube.

Just to answer a few questions, I run a tyre pressure of 100psi in accordance with the specification on the tyre, using a trackpump.

I'll let ye know how i get on. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Haleakala wrote: »
    @OP - I had Bontrager tyres which came stock with my Spesh - brutal. Punctures every few days. Changed to ContiGP4000s and haven't had a puncture in months.

Bin the Bontragers

I've had bontragers for a year and a half without a puncture. Keep the bontragers ;-)

ShayK1 wrote: »
    So what should you use?

This guy makes it look easy!

Advertisement