Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some parents expect too much?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

Its leaving cert day again:P

For the amount of study my daughter did she did very well, but I am just after hearing a parent say they are disappointed with what their son got, and then they said he didn't study enough!! now this young lad did about 4 hours study a night and Saturday study as well far more that my daughter ever did.
    IMO some parent have big chips on there shoulders about their own education and are now inflicting it on their children.

If you did not do well in school and did not go to college that's your problem NOT your children's problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Congrats to your daughter. :)

The LC depends on the amount of study done/what arises in the exam/sleep they got the night before/you get the idea.

If parents think the LC is easy and 600 points are something that should be achieved, get them to do it! A 17-18 year old is only human and is quite an awkward age to do anything. They are just becoming adults and are trying to balance social lives with study!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

At 24, the leaving cert isn't too far behind me (at least thats what it feels like) but as far as my kids are concerned, there won't be any pressure on about that sort of thing. I've seen too many loopholes, back doors and all manner of methods to get into desired college courses to say that the leaving cert is that life defining.

P.S. Congrats to your daughter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Congrats to your daughter, MariaAlice!

This other parent was disappointed with their son's result - how about the boy, was he happy? Any happiness he had was ruined by his parent's reaction! Ooh, some people! Like Red XI4 said, there are so many ways to get onto the course you want and you can even repeat - it's not the end of the world. It's only a year and it flies.

My prerogative is I just want my children to be healthy and happy!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Different people are capable of different things not all are academic.
    I do think kids should work towards the lc but some no matter how hard they work will never get near top points .
    They need to be awarded for their effort not their result.

There are now loads of options for the kids that don't get their 1st uni choice or their parents top uni choice as the case often is!

We have brilliant IT's and brilliant PLC courses which open up a whole world of opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

..... I just want my children to be healthy and happy
    I'm with Roseanne Barr on this one "I just want my children to leave home & be happy, ah hell I'll settle for them leaving home!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think doing well in leaving cert is very relative. A friend of mine wanted to medicine but did 4 hours a night plus saturday study. Her parents were disappointed with her results because she did not get what she wanted and told her that if she wanted medicine she should have done crazy hours.

Fair comment in that case imo.

Same friend's sister got 350 points in her leaving and parents were delighted cause she got what she wanted and thats all that mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Congrats to your daughter mariaalice!

Ah the Leaving Cert is so awful- it's such a snapshot- 1 assessment of the work done over 2 years is crazy!
    I definitely think that some parents are way too hard on their children when it comes to LC results. I was so lucky with my parents- they were happy as long as I was happy, and when I was having a rough year that year anyway they were amazing- my mam told me after she was so proud that I even made it into the exams!

Despite not getting the most amazing LC results, I'm still studying and have gotten where I am now via the scenic route!
    My partner didn't have the best LC either but is in a great job after PLCs and other courses and is far more advanced in his career than most people his age are.
    I'd like to hope when it gets to the stage of my kids doing exams etc, that I'm not a horrible pushy parent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I think doing well in leaving cert is very relative. A friend of mine wanted to medicine but did 4 hours a night plus saturday study. Her parents were disappointed with her results because she did not get what she wanted and told her that if she wanted medicine she should have done crazy hours.

Fair comment in that case imo.

Same friend's sister got 350 points in her leaving and parents were delighted cause she got what she wanted and thats all that mattered.

My partner got 575 with 4 hours a day, plus 6 at weekends. he also had gym, a few points with the lads and occasional days off (usually one every 2 weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Once they can walk away happy, having done themselves justice, I'll be happy. As parents we can want the best for them but we can do little more than prepare, encourage and give them the opportunity to learn, and maybe an occasional dig-out when they're stuck - you can't force them to learn or to do good exams.

I would hate to see them live their lives regretting that they watched repeats of the Simpsons or Southpark for hours on end and it cost them a chance of college or whatever - but at least it'd be their regret, not mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I would hate to see them live their lives regretting that they watched repeats of the Simpsons or Southpark for hours on end and it cost them a chance of college or whatever - but at least it'd be their regret, not mine.

It'd be your regret for not ditching SKY or imposing a TV limit. IME, and I work with young people, most pressure comes from themselves or their peer group to achieve in exams. Of course there are crazy pushy parents, but they are in the minority (with the group I work with anyhow).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

It'd be your regret for not ditching SKY or imposing a TV limit.

I could do that all I wanted - I could force them to sit at a table with their books and to look at the books. But nothing, and I mean nothing, can force them to learn if they don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am fairly well paid so my daughter won't get any help this year ( she might next year when the full decreases in my salary is apparent)

The cost of paying for my older daughter to study in the UK wiped out any saving I had, but at the same time I think one you have them you have to do your best for them.

I would be in a favour of some sort of student loan ( provided they dont end up in huge debt.)

Advertisement