Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nirvana 20th Anniversary Nevermind Gig in Dolans

• 17-08-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to highlight this gig which we've now created a Facebook Event for. It should be a great night for any Nirvana fans that can make it.

nirvanagig.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

20 years already. I remember seeing them support Sonic Youth in Cork at Sir Henrys in the summer of 1991 about a month or so before Nevermind was released. Still have the ticket stub that Grohl autographed for me that night.

Homerun Homer,

Hope ya don't mind but I put the link to yer facebook page in the Rock/Metal forum as well as there are a lot of guy/gals from Limerick, Clare, Tipp etc that post in that forum that I never see in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Thanks Kess, I would have posted in the Clare forum too but I did it before and was accused of spamming so trying not to reap the wrath of prickly mods.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    20 years already. I remember seeing them support Sonic Youth in Cork at Sir Henrys in the summer of 1991 about a month or so before Nevermind was released. Still have the ticket stub that Grohl autographed for me that night.

Extremely jealous, I would have been too young for any gigs they played here but I bought an RDS ticket as a souvenir the day after he died.

Thanks Kess, I would have posted in the Clare forum too but I did it before and was accused of spamming so trying not to reap the wrath of prickly mods.

Extremely jealous, I would have been too young for any gigs they played here but I bought an RDS ticket as a souvenir the day after he died.

Just realised that you said "we" in your first post in relation to the Facebook page. You are not N D by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Just added to my FB, looking forward to it :)

krudler wrote: »
    pics!

You forgot to add "or GTFO" :D

Just realised that you said "we" in your first post in relation to the Facebook page. You are not N D by any chance?

Nope, I'm A C.

Tickets now on sale. Be sure to book early as there is a lot of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

I feel old:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll go in for 2 tickets on my way to training later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

This sounds great,deffo going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

:( If only it was a couple of weeks later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Is it a DJ set? I'm not on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

finbarrk wrote: »
    Is it a DJ set? I'm not on Facebook.

from the bookface page
    To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the release of Nirvana's Nevermind a bunch of Limerick musicians decided to get together to pay tribute to this great & influential album. Members of Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters, The Hip Neck Blues Collective and friends have joined forces for a one off performance of Nevermind from start to finish, as well as a selection of Nirvana favourites. It will be a night of celebration that no Nirvana f...an should miss.

Support on the night comes from Dead Red Light plus guests TBC.

Doors open at 9pm : Admission €6, on sale now.

Nevermind not only popularized the Seattle grunge movement, but also brought alternative rock as a whole into the mainstream, establishing its commercial and cultural viability. It is an album that changed the shape of the musical landscape and continues to influence each generation since it's arrival.

Released in September 1991, Nirvana's sophomore album and major label debut elevated Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl from a critically acclaimed Aberdeen, Washington, cult band to generational spokesmen who'd unwittingly created a cultural shift and musical touchstone. Rising to No. 1 the world over by year's end and ultimately selling over 30 million copies worldwide, Nevermind would come to be much more than one of the most successful and influential albums of its or any era. As the album that returned unaffected rock ’n’ roll integrity and passion to the top of the charts, Nevermind would prove a singular inspiration to fans and musicians alike over the last two decades and will undoubtedly do so for generations to come.

Just want to bump this as tickets are selling well and demand is high on Facebook. I just want to warn anyone interested not to wait around to get a ticket on the night as it looks like it will sell out before then. Was in Dolans pub tonight and heard that they can't believe how well it is selling without any posters up or around town.

The power of the Internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LisaLimerickR

Sounds good. Pity i'm not home :(

Final poster for the night. Tickets may not be available on the night so if you're thinking of heading you'd be best to book ahead.

6156618882_66e4a26607_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Now 480 attending, according to the Fakebook.

39JD

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I booked two tickets, but it my +1 won't be coming after all. Just sayin'.

• Advertisement

When is it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Just booked a bunch'a tickets there. :D

The poster doesn't show when looking on the iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Holy smokes what a gig! Great performance from the first band and the last set was incredible. Delighted to see that Limerick still produces great music.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Which cover was best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Couldn't tell you, they were bang on.

Thanks to all who made and I'm over the moon at how well the night turned out. That first band made me right nervous they were so bloody good. Amazing, don't think it could have Been planned any better. Can't wait to review photos and videos now.

Delighted to see Niall Quinn playing live. Top class on the drums during the second set of the night.

Fair play to all three bands, the quality was amazing from start to finish.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good night. Gutted that I missed it as I had bought a ticket for it, but went back to Liverpool on a bit of a whim very early Saturday morning to catch the game and got back into Shannon this morning.

Bloody wrecked though. Leaving Limerick in the wee hours of Friday night/Saturday morning to be in Dublin for the ferry and then getting from Holyhead to Liverpool thanks to the brother driving down to meet me, then to the game, a bit of a night out with the brother, and being back in Shannon before 10am Sunday morning makes for a tired Kess now.:D

Advertisement