Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DkIT Computing department is now online

Options
  • 17-08-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

With the Leaving Cert. results now out, potential college students are probably starting to think about what's going to happen in the next month or two. I'm starting this thread so that any potential incoming DkIT computing first years can ask questions about DkIT's computing department and get an answer straight from the source (I'm DkIT computing department's I.T. Retention & Recruitment officer). Any questions about how the department runs, what kind of subjects you'll study, what induction week will bring, where to go, how to get here, ask them here and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

Having completed 3 years in DkIT's computing department as both a student and class rep/level 8 program board member I'd also be happy to provide any insights or answers for potential incoming students about how things work in the department, from a students perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

4 years in DKIT doing the Software Development Level 7 for 3 years and then the Commercial Computing Level 8 for 1 year. Spent 6 months looking for a job and have been working as a Software engineer for 20 months now.

And I'm happy to provide any insight into questions on the course, prospects after completing it and anything about real life work in software development also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Just a quick question,

Do you change lecturers when you head into second year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Didn't do computers but in my case yes. Whole set of new topics and new lecturer faces aswell. In third year new topics again, but a mix of the same oul faces, both a blessing and a hindrance at the same time!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DkIT_Computing

The answer is probably. For a topic like maths or programming, you may end up with the same lecturer (more likely in maths than in programming), but other than that you will probably change.

• Advertisement

When will the repeat results be out?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DkIT_Computing

The date for repeat results hasn't been released yet, but it should be some time after the 12th of September (that gives time for the CA repeats to be graded, the examination boards to occur and the final results to be processed and sent out). As soon as I get an official date, I'll post it here as well as on the ITLC's twitter feed (@DkIT_ITLC)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

Some lecturers teach more than one topic so you could find that a lecturer who taught you java in 1st year could be teaching you networking in 2nd year. Also a few subjects like Maths and programming will keep the same lecturer.

The date for repeat results hasn't been released yet, but it should be some time after the 12th of September (that gives time for the CA repeats to be graded, the examination boards to occur and the final results to be processed and sent out). As soon as I get an official date, I'll post it here as well as on the ITLC's twitter feed (@DkIT_ITLC)

Hopefully the results are out before 5pm hate waiting around for them :pac:

Advertisement