Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I do now? will I repeat?

• 17-08-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

Right my results were awful I got B3 in english and D's in the other subjects and failed engineering, I'm sure I done a lot better and maths.

I probably won't get anywhere now. But I did this course which is related to what I'd be doing in university and I get a fetac lv5 award from it. Would I be able to get them to combine my results?

I also applied to england . Should I still phone them up? an try and speak to them? I really don't know what to do.

I got 175 points :( below 200 :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Before you do decide to repeat, ensure you check all possibilities. Wait to see what you are offered in the CAO and do see what the unis in England have to say. As for the combining of results, not sure about that, best to talk to your guidance cllr in your school about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Get the papers re checked first.
    I got a D in honors physics and got it rechecked and it came back a B. so they do get it wrong from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Don't panic. Ring the UK and the university you want to go to over here. Give yourself a day to calm, as your head must be wrecked. Even if you decide to do a PLC course or repeat, remember you are young enough and have options open to you. Things might not be clear at the moment, but help is out there, the school, the university and colleges, all are willing to advise you. My advice is to explore all the options and take a couple of days to decide. One year of repeating won't make any difference in years to come. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Any ideas on what I could say when I phone them up? They might just tell me no straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Any ideas on what I could say when I phone them up? They might just tell me no straight away.

A level results come out tomorrow - you may need to wait until then for an answer.

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    A level results come out tomorrow - you may need to wait until then for an answer.

They receive the a level results early so they'd know . I'll try anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Right my results were awful I got B3 in english and D's in the other subjects and failed engineering, I'm sure I done a lot better and maths.

I probably won't get anywhere now. But I did this course which is related to what I'd be doing in university and I get a fetac lv5 award from it. Would I be able to get them to combine my results?

I also applied to england . Should I still phone them up? an try and speak to them? I really don't know what to do.

I got 175 points :( below 200 :eek:

You can't combine results from LC and FETAC they are separate assessments. What course are you looking for? What points did you need? What were you told you'd need by UCAS?

I can't do a plc either as none of them are course which I want to do. So my only option is to repeat :(.

You can't combine results from LC and FETAC they are separate assessments. What course are you looking for? What points did you need? What were you told you'd need by UCAS?

I needed at least 280-300+. I needed AABBBB for ucas :(. I could ring up maybe try and convince them and the fetac relates to what I'd be doing. I want to do information systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I got 335. I needed 360 to do Arts in UCD and 405 to do Economics Politics and Law in DCU. I didn't get it.
    Is there some sort of PLC I can do to get more points added onto my leaving points. Is there a course in somewhere like Rathmines where I can get more points towards Arts in UCD for next year?
    Or is there another course I should do?
    I have a course with the CAO but I could always reject it. I don't really want to do it for the sake of it when I can take a year to do a PLC and then come back and do what I really want.
    Or is it too late for PLCs?

Any advice, opinions or feedback is appreciated.

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    I got 335. I needed 360 to do Arts in UCD and 405 to do Economics Politics and Law in DCU. I didn't get it.
    Is there some sort of PLC I can do to get more points added onto my leaving points. Is there a course in somewhere like Rathmines where I can get more points towards Arts in UCD for next year?
    Or is there another course I should do?
    I have a course with the CAO but I could always reject it. I don't really want to do it for the sake of it when I can take a year to do a PLC and then come back and do what I really want.
    Or is it too late for PLCs?

Any advice, opinions or feedback is appreciated.

You can't add PLC points to LC points. You can apply with both sets of results but they are treated as separate sets of results. Also there is a PLC course you can do to apply for Arts (can't think of it off the top of my head right at the moment) but the max points you can get in PLC is 400.

So if you did a suitable PLC you would have to come out with all Distinctions. Maybe it might be worth considering repeating the LC. You are not far off the points and should be able to come up by that much on a repeat year.

You also don't know how the points are going to go next Monday, so wait until then and see what you are offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

If you can see them, they're my points.
    Would it be worth getting them corrected or am I too far off?
    Am I ONLY 25 points off (meaning a little bit) or am I way off)

Edit: whoops.

I'll just do them here
    English- C2-65
    Economics- C1-70
    Geography- C2-65
    Business-D1-55

Ordinary:
    Irish- C2-25
    French- C1-30
    Maths-C1-30

LCVP: Merit-50

Total of 335

oh my god did I fail the leaving? I didn't pass 5 subjects only 4 I did 6 tests.

oh my god did I fail the leaving? I didn't pass 5 subjects only 4 I did 6 tests.

There isn't such a thing as passing or failing the Leaving Cert anymore. It's more a case of meeting the entry requirements for college. You need five passes to go to college so unless you get a recheck it's unlikely you will be able to do so this year, but spend the next few days looking into your options. You mentioned in another thread that you have done a PLC, if you have included that on your CAO application you may still be offered a place in college.

There isn't such a thing as passing or failing the Leaving Cert anymore. It's more a case of meeting the entry requirements for college. You need five passes to go to college so unless you get a recheck it's unlikely you will be able to do so this year, but spend the next few days looking into your options. You mentioned in another thread that you have done a PLC, if you have included that on your CAO application you may still be offered a place in college.

It's not a plc it was this summer 6 week course and we get a fetac level 5 at the end. I'm not sure what to do.

What subjects are doable in a year I'm dropping two of mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

BOHtox wrote: »
    If you can see them, they're my points.
    Would it be worth getting them corrected or am I too far off?
    Am I ONLY 25 points off (meaning a little bit) or am I way off)

Edit: whoops.

I'll just do them here
    English- C2-65
    Economics- C1-70
    Geography- C2-65
    Business-D1-55

Ordinary:
    Irish- C2-25
    French- C1-30
    Maths-C1-30

LCVP: Merit-50

Total of 335

Get the whole lot rechecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Well worth it i think. I did my leaving cert in 09 and decided to repeat last year. It was tough at first because most of the friends moved on but gradually got over that, some teachers would sometimes criticise me for repeating but i shrugged it and i did a lot more work, also important to have free time, came up 85 points and it all paid off. A year isn't much and like in 09 and now, you won't miss out on much, given the state of the country.

It's not a plc it was this summer 6 week course and we get a fetac level 5 at the end. I'm not sure what to do.

A full FETAC Level 5 certificate or just a few modules? A full certificate usually takes a full academic year.

A full FETAC Level 5 certificate or just a few modules? A full certificate usually takes a full academic year.

Only a few modules. I think 3 not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

If the A level results are out tomorrow, then don't ring the university of your choice in the UK until friday, as they will be inundated with queries. the clearing section of UCAS might be an option to contact for advice as well. Before you ring them write down all the questions you wish to ask, as they are under a time limit and you won't get confused by them.
    If they do tell you 'No', do not be too upset, the UK have reduced their places and you are not alone in asking the questions you want answers to.

As I said before, if you have to repeat, then the next time you will be more prepared. I would advise you to view your scripts with a teacher or someone who knows the subjects, then decide to have them re-checked.
    You will be fine.

Only a few modules. I think 3 not sure.

You won't be able to use it then. A full FETAC cert includes 8 modules and there are some compulsory ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Op I would repeat the LC you should make up the points and you won't miss the year going by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

To the OP, what do you want to go into, and where are you based? theres a lot of PLCs out their relating to different courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

born2bwild wrote: »
    Get the whole lot rechecked.

Look at the scripts first!!

Noodleworm wrote: »
    To the OP, what do you want to go into, and where are you based? theres a lot of PLCs out their relating to different courses.

I'm on the northside I'll probably go to Rathmines hopefully I'll pass the interview luckily I already applied to there as a back up. No plcs do what I want to do. My only option is repeating and my points are too low to get a offer. I want to repeat for myself and get better results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Im just asking what area our looking for as maybe some people around know a bit about other ways to get into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Hi,

I got 230 points. I applied for law in DBS,
    I checked the points for last year and it say that the median points were 320 and the final points were 205.

Will I get offered a place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

dan786 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got 230 points. I applied for law in DBS,
    I checked the points for last year and it say that the median points were 320 and the final points were 205.

Will I get offered a place?

I'll just get out my crystal ball, shall I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ciara, if you were a guy I'd tell you exactly what to do with your balls tbh!

Dan, what she's *trying* to say is that we don't know.

Nobody knows.

You're going to have to wait 'til Monday I'm afraid ... and even then, there's still Round 2 (and possibly subsequent rounds) still to come.

You'll just have to sweat it out like everybody else, but at least Monday should give you a good idea, even if you're not lucky enough to get in in the first round of offers.

Advertisement