Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling dublin to dundalk

• 17-08-2011 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Want to cycle from Dublin (Blanch side) to Dundalk and looking for nice route and feedback.
    have done Ashbourne Slane Ardee but wish to avoid this route and maybe try some of the coastal route, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I would chance something like this.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5012835

I know the route up to Drogheda well and it takes in a couple of nice hills. I don't know the Drogheda-Dundalk bit quite so well but I think it's more or less the way I would go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Good route by manwithaplan, although if you're going from Blanchardstown side I would go via Rathoath, Curragha, Duleek and then join his route from Drogheda, nice bit of scenery and quiet roads from Clogherhead to Castlebellingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

it would go something like this blanch- balbriggan-drogheda(or go to drogheda via laytown and bettystown)-baltray-termonfeckin-clogherhead-annagassen-catlebellingham-dundalk
    something like this maybe http://ridewithgps.com/routes/new
    not sure on the route to balbriggan but from there on your following the coast and the roads are pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

This route is probably the most costal you can go. It could be easy to get lost around Termonfeckin, Clogherhead, Annagassan without a good map (and map reading skills).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

OR you could be a bit adventurous;) head to slane into collon tough enough spin fom collon head to ardee straight through town head to tallanstown beautiful village stop for a well earned lunch from there to castlebelligham swing left head on the main dundalk road turn righ for blackrock from there hear to dundalk and back by the coast all the way to drogheda balbriggan well you know the rest .;)
    there you go a much better route that will test bike and rider.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

i knew we should have asked you first feck sake lads

ah my neck of the woods granda:D:D
    jeez i'm going to have to get out with you in the next few weeks i heard your flying. but you would hardly stick it to an auld man;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 davis3

Thanks Guys for all the suggestions,

On Friday went Mulhuddart, Ratoath, Curragha, Duleek,Drogheda, Termonfeckin( Waterside for tea and sambo, nice place) Clogherhead, Annagassan, Castlebellingham and then finished in Dromiskin.

Nice route especially along coast at Clogherhead and the hills around Slane cut out but more importantly no long straight busy roads.

Next to explore some nice routes around Carlingford!!

davis3 wrote: »
    Thanks Guys for all the suggestions,

On Friday went Mulhuddart, Ratoath, Curragha, Duleek,Drogheda, Termonfeckin( Waterside for tea and sambo, nice place) Clogherhead, Annagassan, Castlebellingham and then finished in Dromiskin.

Nice route especially along coast at Clogherhead and the hills around Slane cut out but more importantly no long straight busy roads.

Next to explore some nice routes around Carlingford!!

well before heading to carlinfort try heading left at lordship over the longwomans grave and then down hill too omeath swing left to carlinfort that will keep you ticking over for awhile;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

well before heading to carlinfort try heading left at lordship over the longwomans grave and then down hill too omeath swing left to carlinfort that will keep you ticking over for awhile;)

That's one of my favourite cycles, but the hills up to the magic hill and the long woman's grave are difficult! Omeath and Carlingford are lovely to cycle through! The main Dundalk-Carlingford road isn't all that scenic.

• Advertisement

just got back from rostrevor camped at kilbroney park what a fantastic place ,so the op could try cycling that route sure is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Cycle to Omeath to do this route

Turn left just after this petrol station

Take the first right here

Next left

Then take the next right up the lane.

It may look like your not allowed up there but you are. Proper man's climbing that is. You'll eventually see a large mast in the distance. You can (and should) go the whole way up to it.

After that you could come back down the way you went up and take this route to Newry via Flagstaff. A-B is all downhill. B-C a climb and B to D another good tight decent. Watch out for oncoming cars its a narrow road. Flagstaff is point C and good for eating, looking at the views and doing doughnuts in your car.

Advertisement