Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a car boot sale

Options
  • 17-08-2011 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi guys
    I am in the middle of relocating to an area that does not have a car boot and i am interested in starting one off
    Does anyone know what i need and who i contact?
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

local council (or whoever owns the area you wish to set it up in)

then contact the local printers (to do some flyers) and get some advertising done.

contact a local paper to advertise, contact churches (for parish newsletter), local radio station (some radio stations have a "whats on in my area" section which usually means free advertising)

work out your structure for cars/vans, tables and general space... payments up front to book a space, non refundable, ensure strict rules are applied.

No selling of illegal materials (pirate DVDs, "hot" tools, etc)

Contact the local Gardai and invite them along to check the stalls and ensure all traders are operating legally.

For added security - put it as part of the terms and conditions that can photograph each of the stalls and sellers for your own records - to put with contact details
    (best not to tell the sellers but with this information you can create a database of sellers so that if you move or want to expand or if someone is looking for X item and you know "Joe" normally deals with X items you can find it for the buyer - and make a bit of profit on buying it from "Joe " and selling to the buyer)

EDIT PS. I don't know how to set one up - but I would imagine the above and also check with local council about traders permit - requirements etc.

Might be best to set up a Ltd company to organise the car boot sale - so if something goes wrong you are not personally responsible.

Oh also - you might need to sort out insurance to make sure if anyone suffers an injury - you are not going to be sued personally because you organised the event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 a1l33n72

Wow PcPhoto

Fairly detailed answer. Well done all angels covered. Cheers

:D
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    local council (or whoever owns the area you wish to set it up in)

then contact the local printers (to do some flyers) and get some advertising done.

contact a local paper to advertise, contact churches (for parish newsletter), local radio station (some radio stations have a "whats on in my area" section which usually means free advertising)

work out your structure for cars/vans, tables and general space... payments up front to book a space, non refundable, ensure strict rules are applied.

No selling of illegal materials (pirate DVDs, "hot" tools, etc)

Contact the local Gardai and invite them along to check the stalls and ensure all traders are operating legally.

For added security - put it as part of the terms and conditions that can photograph each of the stalls and sellers for your own records - to put with contact details
    (best not to tell the sellers but with this information you can create a database of sellers so that if you move or want to expand or if someone is looking for X item and you know "Joe" normally deals with X items you can find it for the buyer - and make a bit of profit on buying it from "Joe " and selling to the buyer)

EDIT PS. I don't know how to set one up - but I would imagine the above and also check with local council about traders permit - requirements etc.

Might be best to set up a Ltd company to organise the car boot sale - so if something goes wrong you are not personally responsible.

Oh also - you might need to sort out insurance to make sure if anyone suffers an injury - you are not going to be sued personally because you organised the event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I think you might get more responses in the Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum so moving you over in that direction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Venue - Rental of same, checking their insurance.

Insurance - Normally you will need your own insurance in addition to the venues insurance. One venue I use for events has essentially household style insurance (fire and theft / damage) but limited public liability - so any third parties using it need their own insurance.

Safety Statement - Normally required for above, but if not required do one. Its an examination of the probability and severity of any and all hazards at the venue and measures to minimise and avoid same. Give it to all your sellers, or at least tell them where they can see a copy (electronically perhaps?).

From above - First Aid cover and Fire Safety Equipment. A first aid kit and a few powder fire extinguishers would probably be enough for a small event.

Consider Safe Parking, Children etc, policies for people who wish to leave the venue during the day (E.g. car boot sale in a car park or large yard - can traders drive through the yard when the general public are there?)

Perhaps consider concession prices - lower priced stands for students, charities etc. It can bring in extra foot traffic. Balance this with the need to avoid some charity book stand destroying the trade of a regular seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 a1l33n72

cheers guys

great info on all replies. will keep me busy

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

a1l33n72 wrote: »
    cheers guys

great info on all replies. will keep me busy

;)

Please keep us informed!!!!