Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe Acrobat Accessibility Test?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I've done a job but have now been asked for the following...
    PDFs of print publications must pass the Adobe Acrobat Accessibility Test (full check) as part of any requirements for graphics providers; for example, images must be all include Alternative Text (ie description ‘behind’ the picture that screen readers can pick up) and use tables not text boxes.

Where's best to start with this? Anyone have experience or know a good guide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I haven't heard of Adobe's Accessibility Test but perhaps W3C Web Accessibility Initiative is a better place to start.

As far as I know it's usually fairly common sense stuff - implementing a site map, hot keys, alt tags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks for the reply. I've just realised that I posted in the web section – not the Digital Art & Design. Although being about digital PDF it might be more relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

PDFs should meet the same accessibility standards as html documents, so the W3C's WAI specifications for accessibility apply.

Also have a look at http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/implementation-report/PDF_accessibility_support_statement , it's a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

As far as I know it's usually fairly common sense stuff - implementing a site map, hot keys, alt tags etc.

That kind of stuff, but also:
    • Specifying flow for text not in single columns. For a 2 column layout, a screen reader by default will read the first lines of both columns when it should be reading a column at a time. The reader needs flow tagging instruction to read like this.
    • Handling side-by-side displays with more than 1 page at a time.
    • Magnification/scaling issues.
    • Probably a few other issues that I can't recall.

Take a look at Document > Accessibility Setup Assistance in Adobe Reader for some info.

I've made only simple PDFs lately, so can't remember/haven't learnt how it's done in Acrobat, Foxit, OpenOffice these days.

Advertisement