Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrianisation of Howleys Quay

• 17-08-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

I see there are discussions about pedestrianising Howleys Quay. I think it would be a much better idea to pedestrianise all the way from the Shannon Bridge roundabout right down through Howleys Quay, Harveys Quay under Sarsfield Bridge and up to the junction of Liddy Street and Arthurs Quay. There is not a huge amount of traffic going through there anyway. It would open up the riverfront. Clohessys And Milanos could put out more tables, it would encourage more waterfront business. cycle routes and a nicely designed walkway would look cool. Street furniture, a few statutes and bobs your uncle would look way better than it does now.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/discussions-about-possible-padestrianisation-of-howleys-quay-in-limerick/b802c95f-13b1-43e0-93aa-66d2d5568754

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Totally agree with you. There are few nicer spots in Limerick when the weather's good. Making it more pedestrian/cyclist/diner friendly would be a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭adaminho

Wasn't Howleys Quay meant to be the main orbital route when O'Connell street was pedestrianized?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

adaminho wrote: »
    Wasn't Howleys Quay meant to be the main orbital route when O'Connell street was pedestrianized?

Just had a look at the city council website, the map is in the link but I fairly sure its Henry Street that is the orbital route

http://limerickcity.ie/Transport/MajorProjects/LimerickCityCentreRemodellingandPedestrianisation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

adaminho wrote: »

Yep it was mentioned as being part of the orbital route along with Henry street once O'Connell street was done.

I agree with the lads that say if it was done right that done by the river could look amazing, but if that stretch and O'Connell street are made no car zones, along with spots like John's square being made one way, then it could lead to even more people avoiding the city centre in favour of the Crescent shopping centre or other towns/cities for shopping. It could make coming into the city centre to go to one or two shops too much hassle for a lot of people who may then simply shop out of town instead, and that would just continue the closing of units in the city centre.

As it is I know quite a few people from the Ennis/Galway side who used to come to Limerick for the day to shop, chill, do lunch etc., but now use the time saved by using the tunnel over driving in across the bridges to go to Cork for their shopping days/chill out days. Their logic is that the 20 or 30 so minutes they can save at peak times in the morning or evening makes a trip to Cork more attractive.

If Limerick wants to merge pedestrianisation and shopping/entertainment, then I think planners could do a lot worse than look at how the Liverpool One project was done, and at the impact that has had on the city of Liverpool. Now I am not saying the same scale would work in Limerick, but close to it might given the catchment areas around Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

They should pedestrianize Howley's Quay and make full use of the river which is superb and one that should be treasured and leave O O'Connell street alone when will they learn...impossible to do any delivery's now in the city and provide any residents of these streets with Utility services..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The question is:

Are we a river city or not?

Send the planners on a trip to Lapps Quay in Cork to see what we should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Totally agree with you. There are few nicer spots in Limerick when the weather's good. Making it more pedestrian/cyclist/diner friendly would be a great idea.

Fully agree, great idea. Clohessy's and Milano's would definitely benefit and it might encourage a few more businesses to open up also.

Aidric wrote: »
    Fully agree, great idea. Clohessy's and Milano's would definitely benefit and it might encourage a few more businesses to open up also.

Sell and rebuild on the ESB lot with something nice like Wagamama!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

From what I'm hearing the businesses in that area could do with a bit of a boost. Was in clohessys briefly at about 11pm one Friday night lately and it was empty. Mentioned it to someone and they told me things at quiet in that general area.
    It could be a good idea! The city looks well from both banks along there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Aidric wrote: »

Sell and rebuild on the ESB lot with something nice like Wagamama!!

Mmmmm Wagamama! Might have some in Dublin tomorrow! :)

• Advertisement

Mmmmm Wagamama! Might have some in Dublin tomorrow! :)

I'm in Dublin tomorrow and would love some myself but I know the work colleagues won't walk the 10 minutes from Southern St Stephens green to get to it. :(

Probably end up in the hotel with a fillet of chicken supreme for €25 :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thought Clohessys was one of the busier pubs in Limerick is it gone that quiet there on a Friday night?

As i said in another thread we need to pick one area in Limerick to try and develop.Is it Pery Square,Johns Square,Nicolas st,King Johns,locke bar marina area,Milk Market,Market quarter and do a good job of it and make it work then maybe move on to another area

My dad was telling him King Johna area was only done in 1991 and it was suppose to be the tourist hub,also round that time Steamboat was suppose to be a tourist hub and look at them now

King Johns / John St area was ruined because it was in a "difficult" area. They thought they could do wonders with the area since they opened the "bypass" through "The Island". They wrongly assumed that people would be able to increase business with the less traffic going through Nicholas Street.

Steamboat Quay was ruined by Section 32ers, greed and laziness. Many apartments, section 32s, are built just for profit and often landlords/owners will NEVER even see the apartments. I know a guy in Paris whom has 3 apartments somewhere in France. He has no idea where they are, doesn't care, as long as his money comes through in rent. :eek:

I was only talking to somebody about the Kings Island bypass the other day and asked them if they remembered the Garage/Panel Beaters across from St Marys Church / next to the credit union. Not many people can remember the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Lots of activity on Harveys Quay yesterday. Could they be starting the new boardwalks I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

pigtown wrote: »
    Lots of activity on Harveys Quay yesterday. Could they be starting the new boardwalks I wonder?

They were working there all last week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Anyone have any photos of this?I take it this is the pedestrianisation that was mentioned in the leader before Christmas.Should look good when it's finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Don't think it's started. Think they were just fixing a few bricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

You have the Dunnes site, the old ESB site and the back of the Garda station as 3 great development sites to redo that whole section but as mentioned elsewhere its robbing Peter to pay Paul as places like around the market.

Advertisement