Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i failed the lc

• 17-08-2011 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i'm still 17 and recently i recieved my results but i think i failed it because i got an E in english ( so does thtat mean that i failed it? ) but the problem is that i'm ashamed to go back to school beacause i think that some of my friends will laught at me beacause i failed it. What should i do???:(:(:(

also u know in my school we could LCVP so i did it but i got only a pass and in % a pass is 50<65% does anybody know how much is that in points???

i know i should not be afraid ( in case no college accepts me ) but i'm still afraid because the people from the nationality that i'm from /which are ( the people my age ) will look down on me.
    it's just i can't stad the pressure. i don't know what should i do. also i think my parents are dissapointed as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

kaila wrote: »
    i'm still 17 and recently i recieved my results but i think i failed it because i got an E in english ( so does thtat mean that i failed it? ) but the problem is that i'm ashamed to go back to school beacause i think that some of my friends will laught at me beacause i failed it. What should i do???:(:(:(
    Get it rechecked. You may be bordering on a pass and English is one of those subjects that can easily go up in an appeal.

And no you haven't failed the entire LC just because you failed a core subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Is English your native language?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you passed 5 subjects you 'passed the Leaving', though nobody really uses that term anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

You have not failed but it does tend to restrict you course options for next year.

It really does not matter what you friends think, it's your life. I repeated the leaving this year and can honestly say it was the best thing I have ever done. If you need any advice you can always PM me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Do what you think is best. I didn't get a great LC but didn't repeat. I had, just about, got enough to do a PLC course. Best hing I've ever done. I returned to Education and got a Diploma a few years ago and now hold down a good job.

1) They're not good friends if they laugh at you for wanting to do better for yourself.
    2) They won't be paying your bills in a few years. Probably won't even be your friends.
    3) Enjoy today, you passed. Tomorrow you can worry about it and make the right decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

By the way, I was 17 last year doing the leaving cert as well. Please don't be ashamed of repeating. It is amazing how much of a difference one year can make in terms of your overall maturity.

Once again, feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding repeating. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kaila

Is English your native language?

no english is not my native language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Then you should not be ashamed. Many who speak it as a native language still fail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Then you can't fail the whole thing by not passing, I don't think. And surely no one would laugh at you for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

also u know in my school we could LCVP so i did it but i got only a pass and in % a pass is 50<65% does anybody know how much is that in points???

no you did not fail the leaving cert at all ,and if you want to repeat it next year ....why should you give a sh1te what your friends think ,
    you must do what you think is necessary in order to take your next step

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you do an exam in your native language and pass that? I think that can substitute for English. Check with your college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A pass in LCVP is 30 points.

Do not worry about your friends. You don't have to tell them your grades. I'm a teacher and every year I meet students around the town who tell me the grades they got in their LC which I know they didn't achieve, now I'm not going to correct them because it's none of my business, all you have to tell your friends is that you didn't get the results you wanted if you choose to repeat.

Just out of curiousity did you do Irish? Institutes of Technology will accept a pass in English or Irish for entry to courses.

There are many native English speakers getting LC results today who also did not pass English. You're not alone. Do go and view your exam. If you are close to passing it might be worth getting it rechecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brennaldo II

Don't be !!... Nothing wrong with repeating the Leaving Cert, I did it last year and it was the best decision of my life, I would of been doing nothing or a course I hated but I just didn't care about what everyone else thought and went for it and just finished my 1st year in college there. Trust me, If you want to get something and doing the LC again will get you it, GO FOR IT, who cares what anyone else thinks.

people who make fun wouldn't have the bottle to do it themselves anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Kaila, don't worry. At Leaving Cert level it is actually quite difficult to do well if English is not your first language.

That is because a lot of marks go for spellings, punctuation, grammar, syntax. The Junior Certificate is very different - all those things are not so important in the Junior Cert.

To be honest, even getting an E is ok - it means that you tried hard and that your language was letting you down.

Get a re-check, Kaila - and don't be afraid; you can repeat the exam, thousands of people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

So disappointed...failed my 2 subjects, I somehow managed to get a B1 in english which is my 2nd language and failed my native language exam...Also failed engineering not sure how that happened :)

Advertisement