Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking placenta home form hospital?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if hospital (Sligo) will let me do this? Going to ask at my next appointment but just wondering if they say no do I have the right to demand they let me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Just wondering if hospital (Sligo) will let me do this? Going to ask at my next appointment but just wondering if they say no do I have the right to demand they let me?

can I ask you a question?
    Why are you taking it home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Supposed to be very good for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Placenta pate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

:) I'm not going to eat it although it is meant to be very good for you but I would never even dare just a bit too gross for me.
    My mum has buried in her garden under a tree for each the placenta of myself, my younger brother and my sisters baby. They were homebirths so issue. It's just become a nice tradition. And I love that I have my tree if feels special.
    Hospitals consider the placenta "medical waste" after this I don't know what the do with it I'd say its just dumped. I don't like the idea of this, without it you would never have your baby its this that nourished and connected you and baby for the last 40 weeks. I've heard that they are used for testing and stem cell research I have no idea if this happens in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can request it, and usually they let you do it too. Just speak to the midwives/consultant before you go into labour and have it noted in your hospital notes.

Make sure your birthing partner knows you want this done too so he can remind them at the end of it.

I don't think they can test it without your prior permission, although my placenta was tested after my first daughter (an emergency c section) as there's a report in my notes saying they sent it for testing as there was two white lesions on it when they took it out.... I know the Coombe in Dublin do cord blood sampling for some research group but they have to get your consent.

• Advertisement

Thanks January great help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

After my first birth (Sligo) the midwife asked me if I wanted it. From that I'm assuming it's done frequently enough & acceptable by hospital protocol. My second delivery was really (really!) quick & we were all a bit too shellshocked afterward to even notice if they asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    :) I'm not going to eat it although it is meant to be very good for you but I would never even dare just a bit too gross for me.
    My mum has buried in her garden under a tree for each the placenta of myself, my younger brother and my sisters baby. They were homebirths so issue. It's just become a nice tradition. And I love that I have my tree if feels special.
    Hospitals consider the placenta "medical waste" after this I don't know what the do with it I'd say its just dumped. I don't like the idea of this, without it you would never have your baby its this that nourished and connected you and baby for the last 40 weeks. I've heard that they are used for testing and stem cell research I have no idea if this happens in Ireland.

There was a post in this forum before about taking home the placenta...I can't remember who posted it or the exact info in it. But you definitely need to tell them before hand, it's not a matter of just saying it on the day because as you say it's deemed medical waste and I think if you want to bury it there are some rules about it....I'll try and search for that post see if I can find it for you

There was a post in this forum before about taking home the placenta...I can't remember who posted it or the exact info in it. But you definitely need to tell them before hand, it's not a matter of just saying it on the day because as you say it's deemed medical waste and I think if you want to bury it there are some rules about it....I'll try and search for that post see if I can find it for you

Great thanks. Yes I am going to mentioned it to them before will also put in it my birth plan

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

a friend of mine ate hers, she said she felt it really helped with recovery.. (it was mixed into a drink) but i'm sure once you say it (as you've already said you'll do) there shouldn't be a problem. i remember looking at mine after, amazed at the colours.. i wish i'd said it,i'd loved to have it buried with a tree.. lovely tradition your family has:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement