Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise disruption from screeching tires

Options
  • 17-08-2011 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Wondering if anyone out there has any advice on this situation.

We live very close to a chipper, in a residential area and recently this chipper has begun to attract individuals who like to pull hand brake turns, and accelerate away at speed leaving their "elevenses" on the road. In addition to the obvious dangerous driving aspects, the unsightly skids on the asphalt, the worst aspect is simply just the aggressive sound that these tires and cars make.

Last night again, two cars pulled away at speed at 12:30 or so, with the loud screeching of their tires. If I call the Garda, they ask me to identify the car, which I can't do as I am in my bed, outside of that it is obviously after the fact so they cannot really help.

I am next going to canvas the other residents of the area and see if as a collective the chipper manager may take some action to not allow these individuals to perform these "stunts" in front of his business. As a background I have previously spoken (politely) to the "manager" but this approach has not yielded results, as he claims to be powerless in what people do outside his shop.

If your advice is to move, don't bother responding, I'm interested to see if anyone has had any success in overcoming a community problem like this through the involvement of your neighbours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Your best option would be to report the activity to your local authority and ask them to consider speed bumps.

I remember when they built the road from the M50 into Leopardstown racecourse, there were donut marks all over it. Once they put in speedbumps, the problem stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

homer911 wrote: »
    Your best option would be to report the activity to your local authority and ask them to consider speed bumps.

I remember when they built the road from the M50 into Leopardstown racecourse, there were donut marks all over it. Once they put in speedbumps, the problem stopped
    I agree speedbumps would stop that straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fintanspark

Thanks All, there actually is a speed bump on entrance to the road, and it's literally only about 50 meters space that they screech their tires in.

It's crazy but they still continue to do it. We've been speaking to the local Gardi and they have just told us to keep letting them know when it happens. On the weekend I'm going to knock on the doors of those around the area, and let everyone know that we should all be together in this. Strength in numbers I guess.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

In fairness, there's not alot the fellas in the chipper can do as it's outside. If it's the young delivery drivers that are causing it well then he should have a word in fairness. I'm assuming it's the same car(s) that are doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's crazy but they still continue to do it. We've been speaking to the local Gardi and they have just told us to keep letting them know when it happens. On the weekend I'm going to knock on the doors of those around the area, and let everyone know that we should all be together in this. Strength in numbers I guess.
    That's a good idea. We live pretty much on the Dublin mountains in a development, and there are plenty of roundabouts, eh, about the place.
    Scumbags drifting around them before lashing on up the mountains was a constant problem, nightly. So the residents committees and management companies of a number of the estates got together and spoke to the Gardai, who started patrolling on a nightly basis for about 2 months.

I came back from the pub one Thursday night at 2am and there was a bicycle Garda out on one of the roundabouts keeping an eye out!

It worked though. We still get it the odd time, but probably a couple of times a month rather than the nightly crap that used to go on.

It's worth noting that although the car park is likely privately owned, it is still a public place under the definition of the road traffic act, so these gob****es can be charged with driving offences. If you really wanted, you could go down with a video camera, but that's likely to get you beaten up.

• Advertisement

Dun laoire wrote: »
    In fairness, there's not alot the fellas in the chipper can do as it's outside. If it's the young delivery drivers that are causing it well then he should have a word in fairness. I'm assuming it's the same car(s) that are doing this?

Thanks, although I disagree, I think that the chipper boss should be more than willing to not allow people who he serves and then linger about in front of his shop to create a disturbance for the resident's that surround the shop. Considering he also lives on top of the place. Part of what I see the problem is that he almost encourages it, and seems to thinks it is "cool" to have this happening in front of his home/business.

It seems to be mostly the same fellas, so now all I can do is try to apply the community pressure on them to stop. No other physical obstacle can be created as there are already speed bumps in place.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks, although I disagree, I think that the chipper boss should be more than willing to not allow people who he serves and then linger about in front of his shop to create a disturbance for the resident's that surround the shop. Considering he also lives on top of the place. Part of what I see the problem is that he almost encourages it, and seems to thinks it is "cool" to have this happening in front of his home/business.
    It's attracting people who are most likely popping in and out all night to buy stuff from him.
    Maybe see if you can get in touch with the actual owner of the property, they might be willing to install CCTV to monitor the car park.

It's attracting people who are most likely popping in and out all night to buy stuff from him.

I wish that's all it was, but they are in their teens mostly, and they hang out there. The people who pop in and out for dinner and late night eats, we have no problem with, the odd late night revellers enjoying a chipper, such is life. But to have almost consistent tire screeching is not something that needs to be tolerated as part of living next to a chipper.

Like you pointed out above, it's a phenomenon that teens (I hate sweeping statements but they mostly are) just like to make noise with their cars. It's not new, and while this is a very NIMBY approach, I'd prefer they went to Mondello, or the empty industrial estates, you often see these markings on the motorways around the country, it has no place in a residential area. It's aggressive and not exactly something you want to put up with when you are trying to relax/sleep, as you'd appreciate from your experience too.

Any advice on how to find the landlord? It may potentially be them who own the freehold on the building.

Advertisement