Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importance of Leaving Cert?

• 17-08-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi all. I got 455 points today. I didn't deserve any more, but I definitely feel I could've done much better if I'd put in the effort.

I'm sure that what I got will get me into my first choice, but not into any of the other courses I'm interested in.

I want to know if it's worth repeating, even if I've gotten into uni. I'm worried that I don't have a lot of options (what if I don't like my course and want to change next year? Or what if I finish my degree and want to go back and do another degree course that requires higher points?).

I know that I could up my points by a hundred or more if I repeated- but is having a good LC important enough to spend another year at it...?

(As a sidenote, I won't turn 18 until next April, so I'm also relatively young to be going to college; I feel like I have more time 'to spare' by repeating because of this, but I'm not sure it's worth it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

IMO if you get into uni there is no point in repeating. Go to uni, if you don't like the course then drop out and repeat. Mostly likely by the time you finish your degree you will be old enough for mature entry or you could just do a Masters in the area you are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

IMO if you get into uni there is no point in repeating. Go to uni, if you don't like the course then drop out and repeat. Mostly likely by the time you finish your degree you will be old enough for mature entry or you could just do a Masters in the area you are interested in.

If I'm ever going to repeat, it'd be this year when a lot of the material is still fresh in my mind and most of the courses are the same.

Do you mean I could drop out early this year, and then repeat? I suppose that's an option, I just fear it'd be leaving things too late.

What qualifications do people need for mature entry if not the LC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Meller wrote: »
    If I'm ever going to repeat, it'd be this year when a lot of the material is still fresh in my mind and most of the courses are the same.

Do you mean I could drop out early this year, and then repeat? I suppose that's an option, I just fear it'd be leaving things too late.

What qualifications do people need for mature entry if not the LC?

Not 100% but if you already hold a degree I think you have proved yourself enough for them. Generally you need a CV and do an interview I think, but not 100% sure.

A friend of mine wanted to do med, didn't get the points, got science in TCD, did it for a few weeks, didn't like it so he dropped out and repeated. He is now going into his third year of med in NUIG.

Also, like I said, if you do a degree in one thing but don't really like it, you can often do a conversion Masters which will teach you the skills required for the area you do like.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I'm sure that what I got will get me into my first choice, but not into any of the other courses I'm interested in.

If you were interested in other courses, why weren't they your first choice(s)?

If you were interested in other courses, why weren't they your first choice(s)?

You can only have one first choice. I'm interested in them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

If you decide to accept your course and aren't too sure whether your going to stick it out or not, you need to make that decision pretty early or else you will have to pay full tuition fees for first year (of the next course) if you drop out and return the next year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

If you got your first choice whats the problem?
    Your first choice is meant to be the main course you really want, appart from your level 6/7 course you can't get any of the lower choices.
    If you want to take a year out a good choice is PLC course to get you ready for college type learning.
    You can also defer your course for a year if you do want to take it, but I really recommend you really research your course and take one you REALLY think you'll like.
    Also remember that you can get into some courses through PLC, or as a mature student at 23, neither of which involve your leaving cert points.

Also to add, 455 is a good score, people who try really hard sometimes can't make that so don't brag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Don't repeat, if you have enough for your 1st choice then you'll be getting that. Plus there are hundreds of people out there tonight who wished they got what you got, don't forget the country average is something around 305.

There is always the possibility of transferring during the 3-4 years of the degree. It could happen during your first term or your 3rd year but there is always some sort of option if you attain enough points/do certain modules

Noodleworm wrote: »
    If you got your first choice whats the problem?
    Your first choice is meant to be the main course you really want, appart from your level 6/7 course you can't get any of the lower choices.
    If you want to take a year out a good choice is PLC course to get you ready for college type learning.
    You can also defer your course for a year if you do want to take it, but I really recommend you really research your course and take one you REALLY think you'll like.
    Also remember that you can get into some courses through PLC, or as a mature student at 23, neither of which involve your leaving cert points.

Also to add, 455 is a good score, people who try really hard sometimes can't make that so don't brag.

It's all relative - 455 isn't a good score for people who were hoping to do dentistry, just as I'm sure some people who try really hard couldn't get 300 points. It's not bragging, it's different goalposts for different people.

My problem was that my results leave me one sole option for the next three-four years: my first choice. I was just wondering if having a better LC would leave me less 'trapped' and with more options if I don't like my course or want to change, or wanted to take a higher points course when I'm finished. I didn't realise returning as a mature student didn't depend on LC points. If the LC's importance doesn't stretch beyond the next couple of years, then I suppose there's not much point repeating.

Is there anything else that a good Leaving is important for?

LC is really only used as one way of getting into college. You'll find that degrees and work experience are actually the most important things on a CV.

also, cheer up, you have a choice of HUNDREDS of courses less than 455.
    actually according to Qualifax, 1079 courses.
    and theirs always the option to work up form a level 6/7 course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

It's all relative - 455 isn't a good score for people who were hoping to do dentistry, just as I'm sure some people who try really hard couldn't get 300 points. It's not bragging, it's different goalposts for different people.

My problem was that my results leave me one sole option for the next three-four years: my first choice. I was just wondering if having a better LC would leave me less 'trapped' and with more options if I don't like my course or want to change, or wanted to take a higher points course when I'm finished. I didn't realise returning as a mature student didn't depend on LC points. If the LC's importance doesn't stretch beyond the next couple of years, then I suppose there's not much point repeating.

Is there anything else that a good Leaving is important for?

A good Leaving Cert is only valuable until you finish college and get some work experience. The points are only a passport into a course and mean very little on a CV compared to what type of degree you got and how many years you've worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I think we can all see the point you are making but it's like you are conceding defeat before you play the match, so to speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think it would be a waste of time to repeat the leaving cert before you even try out what you get offered on the CAO. Presumably you put it down because it’s something that interests you. However, IF you find you don’t like the course then you could start thinking about repeating the leaving cert this coming year (just starting a little late). And depending on what your first choice vs your lesser choices were, there’s sometimes the possibility to transfer between the courses in the first term if there is some overlap (although I don't know the specifics of this process).

If you decide to do a second degree, you’ll be a mature student at that stage so the leaving cert won’t mean a thing.

Like some people have said, there’s always the possibility of branching out into other areas by doing a postgrad course after your degree.

And I don’t mean to sound negative, but I know a few people who repeated the leaving cert and didn’t improve their points much or at all… and I’ve heard that that’s fairly commonplace.

If you try out the course you get offered and are thinking of dropping out, just make sure to think it through fully. A lot of people get disillusioned in the beginning because the topics being covered aren’t what they expected, but you have to look ahead to what will be covered for the rest of the year too and over the following 2 or 3 years. It’s normal for there to be numerous topics that don’t interest you, but as long as there’s a few you’re enthusiastic about that should make it worthwhile.

Also remember that it costs you to repeat a year of college, you don't get a grant for doing a doing first year again. You're better to maybe think of transfers in the college. My course had at least 4 people from completely different courses within a month.

Advertisement