Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are J1's just for students?

• 17-08-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Stupid question but is a J1 just for students?

I'd love to go work and live in the US but getting a H-1B is extremely difficult as most employers aren't interested once they hear I need a visa. Transferring on an L visa in my current company is not an option as I'm not permanent with them.

I wondered if J-1's are open to most people and possibly using that to get my foot in the door with a company over there.

I'm an IT professional and have about 10 years experience but I don't have a degree.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Sorry but yes, the J1 one year intern visa is just for students and those who graduated within the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It might also interest you to look at the trainee visa. There's information here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

silja wrote: »
    Sorry but yes, the J1 one year intern visa is just for students and those who graduated within the last year.

There are other types of J1 visas that do not require you to be within a year of graduating, or to be a student. The J1 program is a visitor exchange program, for short periods of work (up to 5 years). These visas are very common in academia, Im not sure how/if they apply in other professions. In any case, the employer would still need to sponsor you, but a J1 doesnt cost them anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

avalon68 wrote: »
    There are other types of J1 visas that do not require you to be within a year of graduating, or to be a student.

That is true (thoguh the others tend to be more difficult to get into, at least going by friends' experiences), which is why I qualified my response, refering to the intern program here: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/general/twelve-month-intern-work-and-travel-pilot-program.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicC

The J1 visa is also open to part-time students, so if you were to continue working for your company, and start a part-time course (level 6 or higher) you could do that say from septem to june then head off next summer for the 12month j1 visa , you would be taking a "year out" from your studying to do the visa. i think this could be possible if any1 can correct me on this, please do!

• Advertisement
Advertisement