Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting and activating herd number and also getting into forestry

• 17-08-2011 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all I am owner of small farm that is currently rented. I inherited this land a few years ago. I wish to purchase a few yearling cattle to sell on in a year or so. I have a crush and pen although old will need to check if up to standard. I have no interest in farming long term but want to get a current active herd number with a view to looking into forestry for longer term investment. Can anyone advice me on what is best to do? I am stuck with land that I cannot sell at present and rental income is very poor so think forestry is best for me as live many miles away from farm. Forestry is much better if person applying is a farmer and has active herd number. Can anyone advice me on best way to proceed? I have contacted coillte and will be contacting teagasc.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You just want a herd number to get higher forestry premiums don't ya?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

You no longer need to own cattle to get the farmer rate for forestry.

After being told a million different things by different people this spring we eventually spoke to the forestry approvals people in Johnstown Castle.

If you are in receipt of a payment under any dept of agriculture scheme then you qualify as a farmer.

So you could get your herd number but instead of buying cattle, buy some entitlements instead, and then once you have received a payment under the SFP scheme you'll be eligible.

The problem with this approach is you wont be able to apply again for the SFP until May 2012, and it will quite probably be Jan 2013 before you actually receive any money. In which time the criteria could have changed five times over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm closing this thread- as regardless of how you try to put it- you are advocating the fraudulent claiming of a non-applicable farming status in order to unlock enhanced premia payments as a farmer for afforesting farmland.

For your information- in order to unlock 'farmer' status and enhanced premia-

You must:
    • be engaged in farming activities within the State
    • owns, leases, or be involved in the joint management of, at least 3 hectares of an agriculture holding
    • derives min of 25% of total income from farming (including dairy farming, livestock production, the cultivation of grass, tillage and other crops)
    • resides on a permanent basis within 70 miles of the forest plantation

The income rule can include rental income from the lease of farmland- however the farmland must have been leased for a period of less than 11 months........

Please do not ask how to circumvent these rules, or advocate illegal activities of any nature whatsoever in this forum- or you will be banned.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement