Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recheck help -fail

• 17-08-2011 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi, I failed French (H) somehow I don't know. I really didn't expect to fail it. Would a recheck be worth my time.

I also got a D2 in business(H) but was expecting a c2 minimum

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You can view the papers before you recheck them, so you'll know when looking at them if there is any justification for rechecking. You can have your French teacher beside you while checking the paper as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Go and view them first before you make a decision to send them back. Sometimes there is genuine reason to send it back and you can get marked up. Sometimes students see that the page and a half they thought was a brilliant answer got zero marks because they didn't actually answer the question they were asked.

Definitely view the papers because you probably won't be happy until you know for sure if there were errors or if you actually got a fair mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

So I bring the form to the school and then they get the scripts?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Sometimes students think they did much better in the Oral than they actually have if you have a pleasant encouraging examiner. That can bring your result down.
    Or, it's possible, not likely but possible that one of the sections of your French exam wasn't included in your final mark. A longshot but easy to check that by viewing your script.Bring the form to the school - they'll arrange to get the scripts and then you go in the weekend after next to view them. If you plan to ask any of your teachers to view them with you call the school and ask them to ask the teachers involved....do that asap as teachers are usually very willing to do it but need a bit of notice (they might have previous plans for a Fri evening or Sat morning).
    Best of luck if you go for a recheck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

If someone has decided to recheck how long before the results are given?

• Advertisement

femur61 wrote: »
    If someone has decided to recheck how long before the results are given?

Usually mid-October.

So I bring the form to the school and then they get the scripts?:confused:

Yes, you fill in which scripts you would like to see, bring it back to school with the fee, it will be sent to the State Exams Commission and your scripts will be sent back to your school for viewing, normally it's the first weekend in September. You will be given a viewing time either on the Friday evening or the Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Usually mid-October.
    That's too late though isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

mtb_kng wrote: »

That's what I think. It's too slow a process. Your place is already gone by that time and you would be late starting so what's the point just repeat.

mtb_kng wrote: »

No, if the recheck brings up your points so you would have been offered a place on your course of choice you will be offered that place. Now if it's say something like Arts where there are huge numbers of places they might tell you that you can start straight away but you'll have a few weeks to make up. You can choose to take up the place or defer until the following year whatever the course is.

If it's a course like Medicine where there are a strict number of places and no one has dropped out so far, you will be offered a place for the following year.

A former student of mine appealed her chemistry paper, it came back unchanged when it should have been changed, so she appealed it a second time (you can do that) and won on her second appeal. This dragged out until the first week of December. She had started Science in Trinity at this stage. She was offered her first choice, Pharmacy in Trinity and was told she could transfer in or defer until next year. Some of the stuff she was doing was similar and she did have some ground to make up, but decided to make a go of it and transferred to Pharmacy and never looked back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement