Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Flickering On Dark Screens And Certain Games.

Options
  • 17-08-2011 1:59pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just got my new computer a few months back, absolutely love it, fast, solid FPS graphics in fancy games, cooled at all times etc

However, now that time has gone on I've a very aggravating flicker issue which started when I booted up WoW on the new machine. If I play any game, I often have a crystal clear screen, maybe the occasional bit of flicker - But I noticed with WoW, the game would flicker 100% more, relentlessly, in dark areas. I posted on their forums, hunted advice, they all led to typical common knowledge such as 'refresh rate' or 'degaussing', update graphics drivers etc which I've known since yesteryear and have already looked into.

After about a month with it, I notice the monitor has started flickering on dark-screens full-stop (At least it's more prominent on dark screens - If it's actually global flicker, I can't see it on anything other than dark screens...)

Example, I use the Boards Cloud skin which is black/grey, so I can often get sessions of very noticeable and annoying flicker when on boards, yet if I tab out to my desktop, which is just a bit brighter / more colourful but also with dark-areas, there is no flicker.

Right now I have this window semi-downsized to show a partial bit of the same desktop and the flickering is quite lessened (but not enough to not still be completely noticeable, though you have to know it's there and look for it to see it).

This isn't a major issue to me but it's obviously plain annoying and something I should look into for the sake of my eyesight.

It seems colour specific and sporadic - Sometimes I assume that when the monitor is active it halts (or lessens) the flicker but this isn't always the case.

I've looked up countless links on Google about the issue, both WoW specific and monitor specific and all generally give the same tips of which I've performed most.

This monitor's recommended/default resolution is 1920x1080 and, sadly, I've grown accustomed to it - Problem is, this monitor only supports 60hz refresh rate at that resolution. On downsizing it seems to lessen the flicker purely because I can up the rate to 75hz (but only on much smaller resolutions) yet if I play WoW on said resolutions with increased refresh rate, the same flicker problem is here.

Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30ghz 3.30Ghz 8gb RAM

64-Bit Windows 7 Home Premium

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series GFX Card

Edge10 LCD Monitor (These guys don't actually make drivers for their monitors and there's not a lot of helpful info on their forums)

Anyone have any general thoughts? Don't be shocked if I completely bypass some advice because I suspect a lot of what I've already heard/read will be said, but by all means throw it all into this thread so I can get some ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Edge10 LCD Monitor (These guys don't actually make drivers for their monitors and there's not a lot of helpful info on their forums)
    I would focus my attention here personally. Have you ruled out the monitor yet, by trying another? I have a Samsung LED myself that works mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Overheal here, check the monitor.

If the backlight was on the blink it could create such a flicker I suspect. If you have another monitor, try that, if not, hook a laptop/console up to the edge ten with a dark game.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Test it, it'll take ten mins to do.

The fact that its new does not preclude it from failing. Actually, google....
    I bought three of these monitors for a triple monitor system. Every one had 3-4 dead pixels but with each running at 1920x1200 I decided to live with it. That was about six months ago. Now I have two more dead pixels on one and a second has died completely. The screen flicked on and off intermittently for about a week and then stayed black. I have changed the monitors and cables around and it is definitely the monitor. I will be chasing the company but given what I have heard here and on other sites, I am not very hopeful. It sounds like others have escaped without problems but I won't be taking the risk with this company again.

An update:

Two of the three monitors have now died but I did eventually get replacements. Now the third one has started with the same problem. Flicking on and off intermittently and getting worse so I will be chasing them yet again. These monitors seem like good value for money but getting a good one seems like Russian roulette with bullets in five chambers.
    This monitor is not too bad to begin with, you are just in awe of all that screen real estate. My first monitor came with 2 stuck pixels, and after 6 months it started turning on and off, a sure sign the inverter has failed. So I call up tech support and get it replaced after a month.

Now the new one after the usual 6 month period has the exact same issue as before, and after a week harassing them I get a reponse, telling me they have ordered the part, and itll be a month to get it from China, great.

So out of my 12 months ownership Ive had 2 months and counting with a useless monitor. It comes with a 3 year warrenty and god knows how many ill have gone through by the time that comes. Thinking of just buying a better brand and using this as a nice second monitor when its working.

Awful quality on these screens, I would fork out the extra 50 quid and get a known brand as the hassel you will save in the long term is easily worth this.

Thats just amazon.

Review here: http://www.rediscussed.com/2008/02/27/edge10-h170-lcd-monitor-review/ (17", but same line)
    The Good

This screen is simple and the frame is small for maximum view. Sound is included as 2 x 2w stereo. The stand takes up minimal room and the screen itself is not bad to look at.

The Bad

Okay a point about these Edge10 screens I’ve had 5 of these and 3 of them have been replaced under warranty because the power was not working on them, the problem was not with my power but something was wrong with the screens. The serial numbers were something close e.g 1110, 1111, 1112. So it probably was a bad batch (let me know if you have similar problems). As i mentioned earlier the stand is hard to decompile. The sound is quite tinny.

Should i buy one?

If your looking for a screen just to replace an old crt monitor or a broken screen then yes, they are cheap and won’t break your bank. If you are looking for something a bit more upto date and more stable.. longer lasting go for something else.

Overall they dont sound like great screens. When buying panels I always go with big name brands that can be thoroughly researched and have good QC and customer support. Dell and Samsung being top on that list.

Check the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Electronics typically fail either a) Just after the first year, or b) After the first 10 minutes.

Shouldn't preclude the fact that it could be a lemon. Most places you get it from have a very short return policy window where you can get it swapped out without a spanish inquisition.

Advertisement