Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App Developer -How to view

Options
  • 17-08-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hello!

First off I am not a Apple head...use PCs etc. Here's my thing, I am working with an app developer (in a non english speaking country) on a app for iPhone/iPad and he is going through the various stages of developing it. How best can I look at his progress and actually see the app in action?

He has sent some files, however I have had no joy being able to load them onto a iPad. He referenced something about the iPad being jailbroken etc. This went over my head.

He then sent some movie files of him scrolling through the app. This is fine as it is good for layout and structure etc.

My query is can the app be viewed on the PC? Can a demonstration or work in progress be uploaded onto the app store?

Any help that you can give would be appreciated as I am pulling my hair out, with him and myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You need to get him to create an ad hoc distribution version of the app.
    You need to send him the IMEI of the devices you want to load the app onto.
    He will need to be signed up as a developer with Apple and create an ad hoc distribution provisioning file.
    You put this on your device(s) via iTunes.
    He will then need to add the app to this in xcode, set it to be signed with the distribution file.
    He can then archive and send you a .ipa file and you can install this by syncing apps through iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

Id recommend highly using testflightapp.com for quick/easy distribution of app distributions.The developer just needs to sign up,you provide your devices UDID (can be found via itunes,or a quick of apps will display the devices UDID) Then browsing to the site via your ipad for example,its basically one tap install of the app to your device.
    HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Heres another reason why you should use a local developer/company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Heres another reason why you should use a local developer/company.

The €10k difference in price was a great incentive!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

finisklin wrote: »
    The €10k difference in price was a great incentive!

Assuming the developer isn't charging negative figures sounds like you got a harsh quote at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jreanor wrote: »
    Assuming the developer isn't charging negative figures sounds like you got a harsh quote at home.

Agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I know there's gonna be a price difference. But in the long run you'd find things to be easier. Sounds like you should have shopped around though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You could get him to use TestFlight to publish the package for testing

https://testflightapp.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Freddio

Why exactly do you need to jailbreak the device? Apple wont touch it with a bargepole if you do ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I got three quotes all from high street developers. In the end I got cheesed off and hence my foreign friend got the biz.

As I said I am not a Apple head and my foreign friend recommended jailbreaking the iPad. TBH something got lost in translation somewhere hence the confusion. All sorted and iPad not jailbroken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

jreanor wrote: »

How can you say that without knowing the spec or the overall cost of the app?

Obviously 10k less would be a lot if it's costing him 5k. On the other hand if it's a 50k app it could be a false economy.

Advertisement