Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining a cycling club

• 17-08-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi folks, i’ve been cycling since January and have started thinking about joining a local cycling club. My 2 main concerns are:
    1) I don’t want to be holding anyone back (I am currently averaging 24 km/h on my own); and
    2) I was checking out a couple of the club websites and saw that there is a lot of etiquette (literally pages). I’ve never ridden as a group before and i’m afraid of making a mistake.
    Have any of you had similar experiences or advice that you could offer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

If there are organised beginner spins at this time of year you should be fine. Mostly though I thought the "winter" spins start up October November sort of time. That would be the ideal time to join up without any fear of holding anyone back.

You should contact whichever club(s) you are interested in and take it from there. There are quite a few sportives still to come which could hold your interest until official winter training anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Most clubs start up their winter training come the autumn and that's when most new members would join. So you'd be in the same boat as all the other noobs who join up at the same time. A lot of club would have beginners specific spins from that time of year, where the pace would be slow enough and the emphasis would be on getting people used to riding in a group.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Contact club, go out for a couple of spins, remember it'll be very hard at the beginning and if you like it join club (probably for 2012).

Do not hum and haw about whether or not you'll be slowing the pace down or you don't know the etiquette, you'll pick these up as you go along.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

If you cycle in a group then assumin you're not at the front you'll be doing 50% of the work of the fellow in the front. If you do make your way up to the front and can't take the lead then someone will call 'roll up' and you'll no longer be in the lead. So it basically resolve itself.

The 'etiquette' is easily learned, and if you cycle in a group afterwards then people who 'do their own thing' will drive you crazy.

The more you do, the fitter you become, and your average speed will increase.

So its all 'win win'.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I'll keep an eye on this thread as have started Cyling myself this year and did two Triathlons and two Duathlons. My bike needs considerable improvement and i find it very hard to get motivated to go cycle on my own and just end up going running so really would like to get into a club for the winter also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

Thanks for the replies; you’ve helped me to make my mind up. I am going to get in contact with the club about the possibility of joining this winter like you have suggested. I’ll try to not to worry about the etiquette as much and hopefully I will pick it up as I go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Hi there just to let everyone know that Thinkbike.ie CC are currently putting their beginner programme together for this year starting first weekend in October.We have a nice little package on offer including beginner and intermediate groups , bike fitting , basic maintenance classes, group and rider etiquette etc.

More detailed information available soon.....

To register your interest please give us a shout at : teamthinkbike@gmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

I am a member of Cuchulainn CC in Dundalk. We havedifferent groups going over the winter. The 9am faster ride & the 10am touring/coffee stop group. Over the summer we ran a 6 week beginner's group. Am not sure what other clubs do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

I watched this video today and thought it was pretty good.

Advertisement