Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status of lines and availability of broadband

Options
  • 17-08-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I had previously asked Tony to answer a few questions, but I figured I would be better off getting results if I posted in the thread. Here are some questions that need answering:

I live in Athy, Co. Kildare. I have been told that Athy is due for migration to NGB any time now. Got the business letter today to state that we would be getting the automatic upgrade to 12mb.

At the moment I have 7mb broadband at home and the same package in work.

However, I have been informed that even though we will be migrated to NGB, we will see no performance/speed difference as our lines are capable of only 7mb and 6mb respectively.

I generally only get about 4.5mb on my home 7mb connection
    and I get roughly the same on my work connection.

What I want to know is this:

1) If you are upgrading the local exchange what the hell is the point? If the lines arent capable of dealing with it isnt it just a waste of time?

2) Why are eircom misleading customers if half or all of the area I am (right smack in the middle of town) cannot receive NGB? I have been waiting for well over a year, and been told by eircom on numerous occasions that I will be moved to NGB and will be eligible for higher speeds such as 12mb and 24mb.

3) If it is a case that our lines are limited, I want to know WHY? Is it eircoms problem that the lines are incapable of dealing with higher speeds? What can be done about it?

4) What are my current options? Am i stuck with unbearable mediocre broadband for the foreseeable future? Like I said already, I am paying for 7mb but instead am getting slow, chuggy and problematic broadband, and I'm not alone, as many people in the town have reported similar issues.

Hopefully someone in eircom can clear this up immediately because I am damn well furious to have been strung along like an eejit for a long long time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I had previously asked Tony to answer a few questions, but I figured I would be better off getting results if I posted in the thread. Here are some questions that need answering:

I live in Athy, Co. Kildare. I have been told that Athy is due for migration to NGB any time now. Got the business letter today to state that we would be getting the automatic upgrade to 12mb.

At the moment I have 7mb broadband at home and the same package in work.

However, I have been informed that even though we will be migrated to NGB, we will see no performance/speed difference as our lines are capable of only 7mb and 6mb respectively.

I generally only get about 4.5mb on my home 7mb connection
    and I get roughly the same on my work connection.

What I want to know is this:

1) If you are upgrading the local exchange what the hell is the point? If the lines arent capable of dealing with it isnt it just a waste of time?

2) Why are eircom misleading customers if half or all of the area I am (right smack in the middle of town) cannot receive NGB? I have been waiting for well over a year, and been told by eircom on numerous occasions that I will be moved to NGB and will be eligible for higher speeds such as 12mb and 24mb.

3) If it is a case that our lines are limited, I want to know WHY? Is it eircoms problem that the lines are incapable of dealing with higher speeds? What can be done about it?

4) What are my current options? Am i stuck with unbearable mediocre broadband for the foreseeable future? Like I said already, I am paying for 7mb but instead am getting slow, chuggy and problematic broadband, and I'm not alone, as many people in the town have reported similar issues.

Hopefully someone in eircom can clear this up immediately because I am damn well furious to have been strung along like an eejit for a long long time.
    Hi Fatal Exception

Yes speeds are dependent on distance from exchange, line capacity and connecting apparatus.
    No plans to upgrade existing lines at the moment Fatal Exception, it is likely that when underground lines and cables will be upgraded this will more than likely be to fibre optic cables which is the future plan for broadband delivery. This roll out will commence next year but I honestly cannot say when Athy will be upgraded.
    The NGB upgrade does improve speeds for many users and does offer an un-congested broadband service, where the speed you get will be constand and not drop during peak hours.
    My apologies that you do not qualify for 24Mb at this time nor does the free Business line upgrade from 8Mb to 12Mb give you greater speeds, however as I have mentioned you should see an uncongested speed connection.
    We can have your line tested again once exchange migrated to NGB, there may be some increase in speed capacity. I cannot promise this increase but can promise we will do our best to provide the best speed possible to you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Thanks Tony,

I'll be in touch and let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PaulieBeef

Hi Fatal Exception

We can have your line tested again once exchange migrated to NGB, there may be some increase in speed capacity. I cannot promise this increase but can promise we will do our best to provide the best speed possible to you.
    Tony

Hi Tony - would it be possible for you to perform this test for my connection? I was migrated over to NGB earlier this year and I'd like to find out if there would be any improvement. Details sent via PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

PaulieBeef wrote: »
    Hi Tony - would it be possible for you to perform this test for my connection? I was migrated over to NGB earlier this year and I'd like to find out if there would be any improvement. Details sent via PM.
    Hi PaulieBeef
    yes have received your PM and should be back to you later this afternoon.
    Tony

Advertisement