Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-lacing a Pro-Lite wheel with good spokes

• 17-08-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a set of Pro-Lite Merano wheels and I am very unhappy with them. In less than three weeks and 1,200km, I have had two unprovoked spoke failures on the rear wheel. By 'unprovoked' I mean that they just failed spontaneously without hitting anything. Two friends of mine have had the same happen to their Pro-Lite wheels, albeit over a slightly longer time period and with the Bracciano model rather than the Merano.

So I'm wondering if, rather than just endlessly replacing one crappy Pro-Lite spoke with another, I'd be better off to just bite the bullet and get the whole lot replaced with a set of DT or Sapim spokes. One of the things that attracted me to Pro-Lite was the very conventional design, i.e. a standard J-bend at the hub and a standard nipple hole at the rim. So in theory it should be a straight swap, right? Does anyone know any reason why this would be a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I wouldn't describe Pro-Lites as a very conventional design. By appearance they are but they make a big thing of the fact that they over-tension the spokes when building their wheels. The manual/guide on their website used to give an order in which to un-tension *all* of the spokes in order to slot a new spoke in and then you obviously have to re-tension them all again - I haven't checked their site in a while but I can't imagine they've changed the design since, as it is the increased tension that they say makes their wheels strong and reliable. I think they might also mention something about using very specific spokes which are capable of handling that high tension.

So could you do a straight swap? I don't know but personally I wouldn't be keen to try it myself. The first thing I'd try would be to contact Pro-Lite directly and report the issues you've been having, maybe they'll offer help. For what it's worth, I've done a little over 1,600km on a pair of Pro-Lite Luciano's (a grade below Merano, I think) and I've had no problems with the spokes at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

a set of cx-rays would be the way to go, should set you back about 50 euro , will make the wheel a better wheel, put new nips on as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

tension them up to 120kgf should do the trick on the ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

doozerie wrote: »
    I wouldn't describe Pro-Lites as a very conventional design. By appearance they are but they make a big thing of the fact that they over-tension the spokes when building their wheels. The manual/guide on their website used to give an order in which to un-tension *all* of the spokes in order to slot a new spoke in and then you obviously have to re-tension them all again

Thanks. Yeah, I was aware of the high tension thing. I guess what I meant by conventional design was the fact that they take a spoke with a J-bend at one end and a 'standard' sized nipple at the other end (unlike, say, the straight pull spokes with those proprietary fat nipples that you find on Mavic factory wheels).
    I think they might also mention something about using very specific spokes which are capable of handling that high tension.

Or not as the case may be!
    levitronix wrote: »
    a set of cx-rays would be the way to go, should set you back about 50 euro , will make the wheel a better wheel, put new nips on as well

Yes, it was them that I was leaning towards.

Advertisement