Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom Start Sat Nav wont start!

Options
  • 17-08-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

HELP pls

I have the above for Europe. I recently upgraded my map and after which I got a flashing red x. I went onto the site and followed the instructions to the letter and guess what happened - It won't start at all now! I have spoken and emailed TomTom. Bottom line minimum €75 to repair. I was in Maplin and someone mentioned downloading flash but I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any assistance would be appreciated before I bin it and look for alternatives. I only use it for holidays abroad and the the occassional unusual destination here.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the GPS forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does the PC recognise it when you connect it?
    If it doesn't start it probably won't but did you try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ammg

biko wrote: »
    Does the PC recognise it when you connect it?
    If it doesn't start it probably won't but did you try that?

No computer does not recognise it either

Try pressing the reset button for 10 secs or more?
    Afaik - the reset button is the small hole on the right as you look into the back just above the cradle connections.

manual

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Try pressing & holding the power button for 20-30 seconds.
    All going well the device will reset & will start with the drums.
    Otherwise try removing the device from the cover.
    Just beside the USB connection there is a reset pin.Press & hold for a couple of second & release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ammg

I have tried holding down the reset button for 10 seconds.
    I have tried holding down the power button for 10 seconds.
    I have tried holding down both for 10 seconds.

Nothing happens.

Anyone know what the story with "flash" is? One of the guys mentioned it in Matlin but I don't know what to do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Dont know if theres much of an option if you cant get a connection to your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,324 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is it charged? Have you tried starting it when connected to the power supply of the car?

Flashing refers to installing new software on a ROM card in the device but if it won't start that won't work.
    After googling a bit it seems most/all similar issues were fixed by a reset so that's the way to go I think. Keep trying holding the button/s down longer.

75 to fix is quite steep as you can probably get a new one for that price on ebay. It would probably entail changing the ROM inside.

Advertisement