Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SmackDown is.... Mizark Henry!

Options
  • 17-08-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Who the hell are the writers for this show?? Ok wrestling as a whole has not been as entertaining but RAW has been holding it's own & The last couple of PPV's have been OK...But by god SmackDown has been puke for ages,They have a good enough roster
    Christian
    Cody Rhodes & DiBiase
    Daniel Byran
    Zek
    Kane
    Orton
    Henry
    Sin Cara
    Barrett
    Sheamus
    Khali

Why can't they produce a few good story lines?? I have been watching IMPACT lately and it's really coming on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I was gonna give you a valid response, but then you said Impact is better than Smackdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Cant fault the booking of Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

rovert wrote: »

Pity he is a fat bag of ****e who only gets canned reaction most weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I would fault it,Henry always gets a good push,But bad story lines never get a crowd reaction..Shame though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Actually, considering SmackDown always dealt with the short straw in the draft and has such a small roster, it's always a much better show compared to Raw in terms of actual wrestling.

Without SmackDown, the likes of Edge and Rey Mysterio would never had gotten that main event spot.

Storyline wise, considering the current SmackDown roster, they have created a good few feuds. Orton-Christian has been excellent, Wade-D Bryan has been pretty good, hell they've gotten Mark Henry to become SD's dominant heel.

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    Pity he is a fat bag of ****e who only gets canned reaction most weeks

He isnt a bag of ****e he is a great monster who plays his role well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

He isnt a bag of ****e he is a great monster who plays his role well.

But unfortunately after 15 years of rubbish nobody really cares about or wants to see him no matter how well he's booked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

But unfortunately after 15 years of rubbish nobody really cares about or wants to see him no matter how well he's booked.
    Disagree. When he gets in the World Title picture he'll be a great heel. Just a matter of time really.

Disagree. When he gets in the World Title picture he'll be a great heel. Just a matter of time really.

Didn't he take on Angle for the title in the Main Event of a Royal Rumble a few years back it was a awful match made worse when taker came back afterwards & teased challenging Angle making you wish if only it was them two who wrestled. I think Henry could even hinder Orton who's been getting great reactions during the run with Christian now he'll still get them but they'll probably be canned if Henry is involved

They've done this numerous times before. Push Henry as a heel, build him up to a big PPV match, the match sucks and he's dropped back to the midcard. It might not happen quite as quickly this time due to the severe lack of depth on Smackdown but it will happen.

• Advertisement

I think casual racism is a bit of a factor too. Controversial I know but there is observable mental blocks or biases online at least when it comes to certain workers. As much people refuse/refused to take Masters seriously because in their minds a "muscle guy" could never be a good worker. I genuinely havent seen it on this forum with Henry but Ive seen it elsewhere with all the "sweaty black man" type posts.

He was headed his direction in 2006 to feud with Batista until he hurt his leg on SNME.

Didn't he take on Angle for the title in the Main Event of a Royal Rumble a few years back it was a awful match made worse when taker came back afterwards & teased challenging Angle making you wish if only it was them two who wrestled.

That match was Angle's fault not Henry's.

I think casual racism is a bit of a factor too. Controversial I know but there is observable mental blocks or biases online at least when it comes to certain workers. As much people refuse/refused to take Masters seriously because in their minds a "muscle guy" could never be a good worker. I genuinely havent seen it on this forum with Henry but Ive seen it elsewhere with all the "sweaty black man" type posts.

I think it's alot more to do with his matches never rising above decent at the very best. They do a great job building him up but he just can't deliver in main event matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i dont want to see henry anywhere near the title

keep hhh off the show i'm sick of him already

I think it's alot more to do with his matches never rising above decent at the very best. They do a great job building him up but he just can't deliver in main event matches.

When was he put in that position before? That match with Angle isn't proof of anything IMO I cant give you the exact details at the moment but I remember something like Angle's neck REALLY was bothering him at the time and he couldn't bump - it was the same year that Angle was released anyway.

I think casual racism is a bit of a factor too.

Casual Racism is a bit of a shot in the dark to blame that on him not getting over,don't think i've ever seen a wrestler in wwe getting a racist chant & it hasn't stopped the likes of Kofi & Booker getting pops. I'd blame it on boring,slow & bad matches. As for the match with angle just look at what I mentioned for the blame on that.

When was he put in that position before? That match with Angle isn't proof of anything IMO I cant give you the exact details at the moment but I remember something like Angle's neck REALLY was bothering him at the time and he couldn't bump - it was the same year that Angle was released anyway.

Angle had a blinder of a match with Taker a month later(at No Way Out I think) while Henry had a stinker of a Casket match with Taker a month after that at Mania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I have always liked Henry tbh! He was great on ECW when he was the champ there and they've gone back to booking him like that again.

He is a helluva lot less stale than the likes of Kane who have been on out TV's just as long.

Casual Racism is a bit of a shot in the dark to blame that on him not getting over,don't think i've ever seen a wrestler in wwe getting a racist chant & it hasn't stopped the likes of Kofi & Booker getting pops.

They both played positive, non threatening characters/stereotypes. Nor were they black and sweaty. :pac:
    I'd blame it on boring,slow & bad matches.

No saying he is speedy gonzalez or a technical. But he gets the psychology of being a menacing big man in the ring. I dont think he is boring. His match with Sheamus was compelling stuff.

You will be lynched for saying anything was Angle's fault on this forum rovert. Especially if mark henry is in the other corner.

They both played positive, non threatening characters/stereotypes. Nor were they black and sweaty. :pac:

No saying he is speedy gonzalez or a technical. But he gets the psychology of being a menacing big man in the ring. I dont think he is boring. His match with Sheamus was compelling stuff.

Booker played a heel for a nice chunk of his career & I don't recall one nasty chant thank god. Black & Sweaty last time I checked yip booker is black & does sweat. There are plenty of men around Henry's size in the Nfl & I doubt people mock them. As for he vs Sheamus never bothered renting S'fest just watched Ufc on Setanta instead.

• Advertisement

Angle had a blinder of a match with Taker a month later(at No Way Out I think) while Henry had a stinker of a Casket match with Taker a month after that at Mania.

There is the inherent problem with Kurt's moveset (hate that term :pac:) it doesnt really work with monsters like Henry. Henry is too heavy to be suplexed all over the place by Angle and Henry cant really trade technical/MMA chops like Undertaker.

So there is not much left other that bumping, selling and "creating movement." In the condition Angle was in that year that really wasnt possible at the Royal Rumble. Now contrast Angle's match at the Royal Rumble with every match Henry/Rey have had & you will see a significant increase in quality.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    You will be lynched for saying anything was Angle's fault on this forum rovert. Especially if mark henry is in the other corner.

You probably know that the Angle/Henry match spawned the Mark Henry > Shawn Michaels meme/taking point on DVDR.

Booker played a heel for a nice chunk of his career & I don't recall one nasty chant thank god. Black & Sweaty last time I checked yip booker is black & does sweat.

Booker was a comedy heel not the "Silverback" or the guy who told Rey that he was going "tear off his mask and tear right down to the white meat"

I dont want to overplay the racial thing stop start pushes, being slotted as a midcarder, being the kool aid man, being a sex addict all played a significant part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got to agree on the Henry hate. For years he is an instant channel changer. I did not see his match the othe day with Seamus, but I have seen enough of his slow lumbering and cumbersome matches to know that I never want to see hi on my TV.

It amazes me how he has kept his job for so long. I know he got a silly long contract day one so thats 10 years taken care of. A decade where his most memorable contribution was fathering a hand with an octogenarian. A decade where wresdtling went through probably its most exciting period ever, and he did nothing.

This monster heel push starts about once every 18-24 months, last 3-4 months. Nobody cares, he disappears for a bit. Comes back as a smiling face. Nobody cares, disappears etc etc etc.

You probably know that the Angle/Henry match spawned the Mark Henry > Shawn Michaels meme/taking point on DVDR.

Shawn's chops are sh*t like.

gimmick wrote: »
    Got to agree on the Henry hate. For years he is an instant channel changer. I did not see his match the othe day with Seamus, but I have seen enough of his slow lumbering and cumbersome matches to know that I never want to see hi on my TV.

It amazes me how he has kept his job for so long. I know he got a silly long contract day one so thats 10 years taken care of. A decade where his most memorable contribution was fathering a hand with an octogenarian. A decade where wresdtling went through probably its most exciting period ever, and he did nothing.

This monster heel push starts about once every 18-24 months, last 3-4 months. Nobody cares, he disappears for a bit. Comes back as a smiling face. Nobody cares, disappears etc etc etc.

A lot of your criticisms of him, especially the last two paragraphs ashould be aimed at whoever was doing the booking, not at Henry himself.

Shawn's chops are sh*t like.

Michael's gimmick is that he sucks. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

A lot of your criticisms of him, especially the last two paragraphs ashould be aimed at whoever was doing the booking, not at Henry himself.

Fair point. But as the man who appears on screen, he is the one who will bear the brunt of it all.

But, I would imagine, given his initail contract, there was a fair amount of coasting involved on his part.

Fair point. But as the man who appears on screen, he is the one who will bear the brunt of it all.

But, I would imagine, given his initail contract, there was a fair amount of coasting involved on his part.

If WWE booked me in some sh*tty storyline that involved my character riding a pensioner and her giving birth to a hand I'd be a bit inclined to coast along as well.

Its like they gave him the 10 year contract and then decided to set about making as big a fool of the man as they could for the next decade.

It amazes me how he has kept his job for so long.

Well for reasons that includes that he is one the nicest and most sensitive workers on the roster. He writes poetry FFS. You may remember him doing that when Owen died. He did this amazing level headed and intelligent interview post Benoit that I wish I saved. The most recent example is this:

Few people knew or reported it at the time this video went up that the reason he got emotional is that his brother suffered a stroke the prior October which Mark took as a wake up call.

Yeah that is really key actually. If you listen to the Formerly Creative podcast all the writers on there inexplicably him especially Alex Greenfield. On the podcast that was recorded the same week as Punk's initial big promo in June:

http://iwantwrestling.com/2011/06/29/formerly-creative-cm-punk/.

They spoke about Vince inexplictably jobbing him as soon as the creative would get Henry's character hot again and crucially a certain head writer (*cough* Michael Hayes *cough*) not liking Henry

#teamhenry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Considering Henry was a weighlifter strongman guy with no wrestling background he was out of his depth for years.

Its easy to pan his work but on ECW he was great. WWE ruined that by turning him babyface at a draft raw, it made no sense.

He was stuck in no mans land as a face, but got decent reactions during that period.

I think he has got his ECW momentum back now and thats a credit to Smackdown.

smackdown has been great at times lately, Orton v Christian has been top notch. Look at how Cody Rhodes has developed since going there and it proves how good Smackdown is for WWE.

Advertisement