Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SmackDown is.... Mizark Henry!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Are you a proponent for Ted Arcidi and Dino Bravo as well? :pac: He was never world's strongest man, but did great in the Arnold Strongman Classic and with bicep curls. But tbh these 'outside' credentials mean nothing in sports-entertainment, look at Ken Patera! It's what you do week to week that matters.

So many failed pushes over the last 15 years; he needs a fresh gimmick, or at least a mouthpiece or something to say 'this is a new day, we're serious about pushing henry as the main guy'. I can't get behind him in his current same-y form but if WWE actually get behind him (ala JBL) then I might.

But for me he's just a steady hand, steak and stripclubs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I posted it a couple of days ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Mark Henry is probably my least favourite wrestler of all time. I truly dread watching the man.

Also the earlier mentions of casual racism are ridiculous. Fans don't take to him because he is a lumbering, useless, boring goon. The era of black wrestlers being held back purely because they are black is thankfully long gone as The Rock, Booker T, R-Truth etc show.

The era of black wrestlers being held back purely because they are black

Your middle name isnt "P.S." by chance?

rovert wrote: »
    Your middle name isnt "P.S." by chance?

I think the rest of my sentence proves that to be a giant NO.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Are you a proponent for Ted Arcidi and Dino Bravo as well? :pac: He was never world's strongest man, but did great in the Arnold Strongman Classic and with bicep curls. But tbh these 'outside' credentials mean nothing in sports-entertainment, look at Ken Patera! It's what you do week to week that matters.

I think the line in bold needs to be pointed out more often!

I think the line in bold needs to be pointed out more often!

Yup Wrestling promotions should be called out for embellishing things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

In other embellishing news, the Undertaker does not actually harvest souls.

Yup Wrestling promotions should be called out for embellishing things :pac:

Last time I checked people in this thread calling him the world's strongest man are not wrestling promotions. In other words:

Vince McMahon calling him the world's strongest man=Fine
    Boardsies=Stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Just wanted to chime in here to point out for the Henry fans, that we've got a big feature on the man in the next FSM, so look out for it. There's also quite a few facts and tidbits that detractors might a little eye-opening.

In terms of the moniker, "world's strongest man", it may suprise some people to learn how many people in weight-lifting and power-lifting would consider Henry as having had a legitimate claim to that title.

I think Henry's been on terrific form the past few months, and has a real presence about him.

• Advertisement

has a real presence about him.

What makes you say that?

henryusojoca.gif

smellc7ch.gif

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

In other embellishing news, the Undertaker does not actually harvest souls.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

What makes you say that?

henryusojoca.gif

smellc7ch.gif

:P

Just not the same without the usual canned Heat in front of a disinterested crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I've read the 15 years thing a few times in this thread.

Why hold what he has done in the past against him like that?

The only thing that matters in Wrestling is what you are capable of doing today. Is Mark Henry capable of playing a credible monster, a credible threat to the WHC? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Holding his previous gimmicks and actions against him isn't fair.

Thats like holding Mean Mark Callous against The Undertaker and Rocky Maivia agsint The Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

I stopped watching WWE 4 years ago as it was just getting worse & worse but i'd follow it every now & then. So I log onto the website I see Mark Henry win a 20 man battle royal. I mean Mark Henry was NEVER any good, he has never got over, his most famous moment was fathering a rubber hand with Mae Young.

Does anyone actually rate him?

I stopped watching WWE 4 years ago as it was just getting worse & worse but i'd follow it every now & then. So I log onto the website I see Mark Henry win a 20 man battle royal. I mean Mark Henry was NEVER any good, he has never got over, his most famous moment was fathering a rubber hand with Mae Young.

Yes

And in here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056359904

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Judging by the amount of discussion about him recently, Mark is a draw:D

4 years ago when you stopped watching, the roster was probably better. Since 2007 WWE have lost Shawn Michaels, Batista, Ric Flair, Chris Benoit, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Edge, Jericho, Booker T, RVD, Umaga, Ken Anderson, and Undertaker and Triple H rarely wrestle anymore.

They are trying to make new stars the last 18 months with The Miz, Del Rio, Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett and Sheamus, but compare these names to the ones in the above paragraph and they aren't at the same level yet.

Thus Mark Henry's status on the roster has risen merely by default, despite him not really being any better now than he was in 2007.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Thus Mark Henry's status on the roster has risen merely by default, despite him not really being any better now than he was in 2007.

Wait hold on what?

• Advertisement

Wait hold on what?

He's closer to winning the WHC title now than he was in 2007, but largely in part due to the amount of main event talent that have left WWE since 2007 and not really been replaced.

He's closer to winning the WHC title now than he was in 2007, but largely in part due to the amount of main event talent that have left WWE since 2007 and not really been replaced.

Erm he had main event title programs prior to 2007.

Secondly he greatly improved as an act during his 2008-9 ECW title run.

Erm he had main event title programs prior to 2007.

That's true, but I never felt like he was ever going to win the belt from the likes of Taker or Batista.

Fast-Forward to 2011, and I think there's a real chance he is going to win the belt by the end of the year. Christian has had his run, Sheamus is face now, Bryan has said he wont cash in his MITB until Mania, really only leaves Henry and Barrett at the moment to take the belt from Orton.

Secondly he greatly improved as an act during his 2008-9 ECW title run.

Matter of opinion really. I do like Henry, but to me he's been the same guy for several years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

agreed Charisteas although i see Mark Henry as a jobber to the stars b/c of 15 years of failed pushes i've turned around and sure, why not, what have WWE got to lose by trying to make a new guy champ? It's the 2ndary belt in an age where titles mean nothing anyway. The dude has been booked real strong and i'm on board the gravy train. :)

he's gotta do something about the quality of his matches though. I wonder what Randy can do with him. He's a massive step down from Christian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

That's a real nice piece on the guy.

The new issue of FSM also has an in-depth look at the guy :) , that I would obviously recommend ahead of his big moment tomorrow night.

He looked like an absolute beast on this week's Smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah they put him over really well this week. The whole segment was great, emphasising Henry's frustration at never winning "the big one". If he doesn't win tomorrow he'll surely get the belt next month or at Survivor Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,118 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

4 years ago when you stopped watching, the roster was probably better. Since 2007 WWE have lost Shawn Michaels, Batista, Ric Flair, Chris Benoit, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Edge, Jericho, Booker T, RVD, Umaga, Ken Anderson, and Undertaker and Triple H rarely wrestle anymore.

They are trying to make new stars the last 18 months with The Miz, Del Rio, Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett and Sheamus, but compare these names to the ones in the above paragraph and they aren't at the same level yet.

Some of the new talent coming through is very good in my opinion. I like The Mizz, Punk, R thruth (now used to hate him), Rhods, Ted DB....and like "Air Boom" about time there was a proper tag team instead of "the team of X and Y" At night of champions, i though the worst 2 matches were the WWE and Heavyweight championship fight. Im sick of cena, dont mine ABD, not gone on randy or mark henery. The Womens match was very good too. The whole WWE roster has become very young, the oldest wrestlers are Taker (gone after mania when he gets 20-0) HHH, Mark Henery, Kane and Big show.

I wouldnt say its be default, they wanted to give him a push.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say its be default, they wanted to give him a push.

I did read in the last week or so that Henry was contemplating retiring earlier this year (or maybe late last year) and they persuaded him to stay with the promise of a WHC title run.

Advertisement