Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice quick!

• 17-08-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Ok so a friend of mine (seriously) put his 1st choice second and his 2nd choice first ages ago on his CAO and only realized now, if you get what I mean.

What are his options at this stage? He has the points for both.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If he has enough points, he'll get offered his first choice. It's too late to change that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Provided he has the points for his first choice he could take a risk, reject his first offer and hope to god he gets a second round offer! Or he could just take a year out and reapply next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

jumpguy wrote: »
    If he has enough points, he'll get offered his first choice. It's too late to change that now.

No roundabout about way for him to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Jaafa wrote: »
    No roundabout about way for him to change?
    There's no way I know of, except maybe having a look at the "clearing" process in the UK if he's not already applied to UCAS or something. Try contacting the CAO and see what they say, but I doubt there are many options for him. :-/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

THFC wrote: »
    Provided he has the points for his first choice he could take a risk, reject his first offer and hope to god he gets a second round offer!

Under no circumstances should he do this.

If he's offered his first choice he will not be offered any more courses in later rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Alright thanks for the advice folks. I think that'll do. Appreciate it. I'll let him know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

dambarude wrote: »
    Under no circumstances should he do this.

If he's offered his first choice he will not be offered any more courses in later rounds.
    Are you sure??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Are you sure??

If he's offered his first choice he can't be offered his second choice later on. The CAO assume that you wanted your first choice more than your second, so that you've achieved your optimum result. That's the way it works all the way down the list. If you're offered your 3rd you can't be offered your 4th/5th/6th afterwards, but you CAN be offered something higher (1st or 2nd).

If however he's offered his second choice, there IS a chance that he could be offered his first choice in later rounds. In the meantime, he should accept his second choice. Even if you accept a lower course, you can still be offered a higher course in the 2nd/3rd round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Provided he has the points for his first choice he could take a risk, reject his first offer and hope to god he gets a second round offer!
    He won't and he shouldn't!!

READ the CAO sticky at the top of the forum.
    Are you sure??
    Yes.

You can only be offered a *higher* choice in Round 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

OK, this is why they keep sending you those letters
    saying 'ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO PUT THIS ON YOUR CAO"
    just be careful about these things in the future and encourage others to do the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement