Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth was in ... Ulster!?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

So just been chatting with a friend, who is visiting relatives in Derry at the mo. They have a very old map of Ireland on their wall which has the River Boyne is the border for Ulster, putting Louth in Ulster...

Personally, I'd never heard this before, and some usually informative googling has brought up nothing of use for me!

Can anyone help? Either a link of said map, or similar, or even some info on when this may/may not have occurred. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

"Counties" in Ireland are a "new" development, as the country was only really divided into counties in about the 17th Century.

Much earlier than that, as in before the Norman invasion, Ireland was a hotch potch of little kingdoms, groups of which were in turn ruled by 'Over-Kings'
    The number of these varied, but generally there was about 5 of them. So the country was broadly speaking divided in 5; Uladh, Laighean, Connacht, Mumhan and Midhe.
    Midhe was, roughly, what is now Meath, Westmeath and I think bits of Louth too. The rest of Louth was part of Uladh.
    Even though Midhe is now part of what we call Leinster, it's history as a fifth province still lives on; the Irish word for province is "Cuige", which translates as "Fifth".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Thanks lucum-motion :) That makes more sense to me now.

Advertisement