Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating :(

• 17-08-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I failed maths and irish if i repeat that means ive to learn of project maths and i dont know if there is anything new irish so annoyed got an e in both

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Irish course is also new next year.

In the grand scheme of things one year of your life isn't much. It should fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aaron547

dambarude wrote: »
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Irish course is also new next year.

In the grand scheme of things one year of your life isn't much. It should fly.

great i might just do those 2 subjetcs because i only need to get into a plc

do you know if pearse or plunket allow 2 subjects only?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Aaron547 wrote: »

I've never heard of either of them, so I don't know, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

I'm pretty positive they do, my friend only repeated her Maths last year and the college she done it in let her. Ring them up if your unsure and I'm sure they will be happy to help you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Try O'Connells, they will prob be able to cater for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't always need to have passed subjects to get into a PLC. There will be people in your PLC class with no Leaving at all - talk to the PLC college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Mate, I know you might think it's all bad, but as has been said, it's only a year in your life. From this you'll be far more mature and more willing to succeed, things like this sometimes do people the world of good! Also, you do have options, repeats isn't exactly necessary, you can do Post-Leaving Cert courses, go to places like FETAC colleges and actually follow on and do courses you really enjoy without having to pull through the multi-subject over-hyped crap that the LC throws at you.

I done a FETAC course myself, and I recommend it to everybody who don't get what they'd like in the LC, even if they do well, as I did, I would still recommend it. In doing one of those courses you know exactly what you're getting, if you're doing a Business or Science or Arts course you don't have to tolerate all of the Maths, English, Irish or whatever, and it's a lot less pressure. Everything is far more relaxed - and it's also a very realistic option for your future in academics and career prospects.
    Take myself for example, I went on and done a Further Education course as I said, I favored it far more than I did the LC system, I was happy doing what I was doing. And now I am on my way to completing a Bachelor of Science degree in a subject that I love in one of Ireland's top Universities and will hopefully I will carry it on further into Post-Grad, hopefully if I continue my root.

What I', just trying to say is keep your options open, dude. All the best for the future! ;)

Nailz wrote: »
    Mate, I know you might think it's all bad, but as has been said, it's only a year in your life. From this you'll be far more mature and more willing to succeed, things like this sometimes do people the world of good! Also, you do have options, repeats isn't exactly necessary, you can do Post-Leaving Cert courses, go to places like FETAC colleges and actually follow on and do courses you really enjoy without having to pull through the multi-subject over-hyped crap that the LC throws at you.

I done a FETAC course myself, and I recommend it to everybody who don't get what they'd like in the LC, even if they do well, as I did, I would still recommend it. In doing one of those courses you know exactly what you're getting, if you're doing a Business or Science or Arts course you don't have to tolerate all of the Maths, English, Irish or whatever, and it's a lot less pressure. Everything is far more relaxed - and it's also a very realistic option for your future in academics and career prospects.
    Take myself for example, I went on and done a Further Education course as I said, I favored it far more than I did the LC system, I was happy doing what I was doing. And now I am on my way to completing a Bachelor of Science degree in a subject that I love in one of Ireland's top Universities and will hopefully I will carry it on further into Post-Grad, hopefully if I continue my root.

What I', just trying to say is keep your options open, dude. All the best for the future! ;)

thanks for cheering me up! i want to do creative digital media though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

You can get into a PLC often without passing, and can repeat leaving Cert subjects during by taking a weekly class in each.
    Also just a hint, I did a PLC in Multimedia, (pretty much same thing as creative digital media) and fetac doesn't really get you very in depth with it, Im doing Multimedia in DCU now and we covered the all same things I did at Fetac level in just a few months.

Noodleworm wrote: »
    You can get into a PLC often without passing, and can repeat leaving Cert subjects during by taking a weekly class in each.
    Also just a hint, I did a PLC in Multimedia, (pretty much same thing as creative digital media) and fetac doesn't really get you very in depth with it, Im doing Multimedia in DCU now and we covered the all same things I did at Fetac level in just a few months.

where did you go and what are the requirments?

• Advertisement

For Fetac or university?
    for Fetac I did level 5, multimedia in Waterford College of Further Education.
    They just ask that you did the leaving cert, and that you do an interview (which is easy, all they want to do is make sure your actually interested)
    Im doing Multimedia in Dublin city University now, I got into that through HEAR as I didn't get the points, but I could have tried to get in through the PLC too is I got enough distinctions

Noodleworm wrote: »
    For Fetac or university?
    for Fetac I did level 5, multimedia in Waterford College of Further Education.
    They just ask that you did the leaving cert, and that you do an interview (which is easy, all they want to do is make sure your actually interested)
    Im doing Multimedia in Dublin city University now, I got into that through HEAR as I didn't get the points, but I could have tried to get in through the PLC too is I got enough distinctions

ye i failed maths and irish i really dont want to have them as an E on my cv want atleast a pass

You don't have to pass everything, just to have done them , PLCs are not a fussy bunch.
    When I finish college im never gonna put the LC on my CV, no one will care by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

^ That's it exactly. All that is actually needed from you is that you did the LC, you don't even have to pass. Where I went, Cavan Institute, we didn't even have to do an interview, we just had to register and that's it. PLC courses are also quite cheap, the course that I done only required a €200 payment in via Bank Giro to the local VEC and that was it (€300 for late submissions I believe). I had many friends who done Multimedia also, and I think their fee was €350, which is still quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

i may be wrong.. but i heard that 11/12 leaving cert will have the same maths exam as the one we just had along with project maths? but from then on itll just be project maths?

Advertisement