Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BB Replacement

• 17-08-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi, my Specialized Secteur Elite has over 3000km on it and I've noticed a few clicks and squeeks from the bottom bracket. I looked up a few websites and replacement BB's seem pretty cheap so I was thinking of doing the job myself. I think it would be good to be able to replace the BB annually because I am pretty heavy and strong so I'm sure it wears a bit.
    The specs say the Crankset is a Shimano Shimano FCR-553 and for BB it just says "with crankset". I did a bit more googling and I found that the BB is a Shimano BB-7420.
    Will a 105 or Ultegra BB and Crankset fit my bike? It's 105 5600 at the moment.

What tools are required?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

If it's an external BB, then any of the Shimano externals will do. Even the MTB BBs will do, just swop the inner sleeve over.
    Absolutely no need to replace the BB on a yearly basis, only replace parts when they need to be replaced (or if you are 'upgrading').
    I would recommend fitting the BB with anti seize grease on the threads, and standard bike grease on the axle sections.
    If you are using the bike a lot, no harm in removing the crankset every 3 months and cleaning the lot and regreasing - no need to remove the BB from the frame however.
    Finally, be careful of using the correct spacers on your ext BBs - consult with Park tools or Shimano websites for correct set up.
    Tool from CRC -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

All "Clicks and Squeaks" sound like there coming from the BB. u sure a new BB is Necessary? Have you checked the headset? Pedals? Seatpost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

07Lapierre wrote: »
    All "Clicks and Squeaks" sound like there coming from the BB. u sure a new BB is Necessary? Have you checked the headset? Pedals? Seatpost?
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

The pedals and seatpost are fine. I've checked them.
    I'll do a full check on crankset and chainrings to see if there's anything loose.
    How do I check a headset? The last time I looked there was no play in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Donie75 wrote: »
    The pedals and seatpost are fine. I've checked them.
    I'll do a full check on crankset and chainrings to see if there's anything loose.
    How do I check a headset? The last time I looked there was no play in it.

You need to;
    remove, regrease and refit/re-adjust the Headset
    remove, regrease and refit the pedals
    remove, regrease and refit the seatpost.

If you still have a creaking/clicking noise, then check the BB. The BB is usually the most unlikely cause of clicking/creaking noises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Often the clicking is spokes under stress particularly if you are 'heavy' and the sound echoes around the frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

If you've had a dodgy hip replacement recently from Stryker in The People's Republic try regreasing it or replacing it. Hard to come by on CRC though.:D

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-178763.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

gman2k wrote: »
    If it's an external BB, then any of the Shimano externals will do. Even the MTB BBs will do, just swop the inner sleeve over.
    I would recommend fitting the BB with anti seize grease on the threads, and standard bike grease on the axle sections.QUOTE]

I didn't know mtb BB's could also be used on road bikes. By the inner sleeve do you mean this (inner cover)?

picture.php?albumid=1728&pictureid=10413

Can you recommend an anti-seize grease? I have teflon grease and lithium grease. Which one is anti-seize if any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I didn't know mtb BB's could also be used on road bikes. By the inner sleeve do you mean this (inner cover)?

picture.php?albumid=1728&pictureid=10413

Can you recommend an anti-seize grease? I have teflon grease and lithium grease. Which one is anti-seize if any?

Yeah, the inner cover is the sleeve - that's the only different part between road and MTB Shimano BBs.
    Can't remember the brand of anti seize I use - it's a white grease.
    Here be some examples
    Park tool
    Shimano
    Finish Line

Surprise surprise, the 'bike specific' ones are way more expensive!

Advertisement