Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substituting Modules

Options
  • 17-08-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭

So basically i totally fucked up my final year last year. ended up failing 5 modules overall. so im back now for another year to complete those 5 classes. i was given the option to resit all my classes this semester during registration. however i wanna actually take the classes again cause i dont want my grades to be capped for each class.

so i was wondering does anyone know what the procedure is for substituting modules? i know the cost and all that, but who do i have to talk to, is it like doing the module if i hadve done it last year? (ie will my grades be uncapped etc.) have to go in to UCD tomorrow but any help before then would be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You can only substitute non-core modules. Contact your programme office.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

You've probably already been told by UCD.

You drop the resit/repeat unless they're core modules and select new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

If you have already failed a module, the only thing you can do is resit or repeat it. It sounds like you want to take the module from scratch - ie, repeat it. This means going to lectures and doing whatever the assessment is. But as it's a second attempt, your grade is capped.

Repeating a module is not the same as substituting a module, which means you are registering to an entirely new module that you have never attempted before in lieu of the failed module.

So if you want to actually take the same module over, then your grade will be capped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

dublin daz wrote: »
    You've probably already been told by UCD.

You drop the resit/repeat unless they're core modules and select new ones.

That isn't true for all programmes. Some students will need to be enrolled in modules by their programme office for substitutions. That happened me before, if you try and do it yourself the system won't recognise it.

And as is said above, substitution does not equal repeating. So in short:
    Resit=end of semester exam, grade capped
    Repeat=Take the module again in full, grade capped
    Substitute: Take a new module in place of an elective or option, grade not capped. Costs more than a resit or repeat.

Advertisement