Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subjects are doable in a year to repeat the LC?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

My results weren't the best. I'm gonna keep geography , maths ,business and English and pick up 2 new subjects I'm dropping my other two I'm not that good at them.

I'm thinking of taking up economics , classical studies or accounting.
    My mum is really against me doing economics though. But I heard it's a short course and doable in a year. I like business too.

I did the business for the junior higher level and know a little how to do the balance sheets and trade profit and the budget a few of the others. I found it hard but maybe with practice I could do it. But I'm not great at maths , my mum wants me to do that I'd rather do economics.

Classical Studies looks interesting I heard you have to read lots of books , and I'm quite good at english.
    I'd want t take them up as honours the most ordinary subjects I'll have is two. Maths and English but you can't do english in a 1 year higher level.

How hard is repeating?Is it easy to stay motivated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

What results did you get in each subject?

I did economics, you really need to be the type of person who would listen with interest to all news on inflation/deflation/banking crisis/ECB/imports/exports to get on any bit fair in it.

If you are going repeating then don't do it in the same school or else you will get lazy........and yes you will get lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Liveit wrote: »
    What results did you get in each subject?

I did economics, you really need to be the type of person who would listen with interest to all news on inflation/deflation/banking crisis/ECB/imports/exports to get on any bit fair in it.

If you are going repeating then don't do it in the same school or else you will get lazy........and yes you will get lazy

I think I'm going to rathmines hopefully.

I got B3 English ordinary (I had the ability to do higher) I just dropped down
    D2/D3 in the others business higher and geography higher and failed maths. So I really need the repeat.

I'm not sure if I'm the type to listen to all of that I could start. Is it very detailed like a lot of theory?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i repeated, took on classical studies and wiped the floor with it, its shockingly easy, had the course done by feb, not alot of reading to be fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People say Economics but judging by results here it seems quite difficult to get an A in, iirc it has one of the lowest A % out of exams taken.

i repeated, took on classical studies and wiped the floor with it, its shockingly easy, had the course done by feb, not alot of reading to be fair...

Oh everyone says theres loads of book to read. Do you like need to write essays on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

AdamD wrote: »
    People say Economics but judging by results here it seems quite difficult to get an A in, iirc it has one of the lowest A % out of exams taken.

True but a B or C for a year's work isn't too bad.

I did Economics in two years though I think it's more than possible to do the course well in one. For me I felt everything 'clicked' at the end of the 6th year and I was like: 'I get this! :D', so I couldn't of really done it in a year.

If you like watching the news/Vincent Brown etc. you'd like it.

There's also almost no maths in it (plugging stuff into formulae, and the usual dividing, multiplying, subtracting adding, nothing scary if you know what the question's asking ya)

A lot of the grinds schools seem to cover Ag Science in a year (as far as I can tell), but as I've never done the subject or really know anyone who did it. I don't know enough about it to say if that's feasible in a year - as it has coursework and stuff. (I have so much knowledge, eh? :pac:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I know people who did Ag Science in a year (only started in October). One of them got an A1.

I did Economics in two years though I think it's more than possible to do the course well in one. For me I felt everything 'clicked' at the end of the 6th year and I was like: 'I get this! :D', so I couldn't of really done it in a year.

There's also almost no maths in it (plugging stuff into formulae, and the usual dividing, multiplying, subtracting adding, nothing scary if you know what the question's asking ya)

A lot of the grinds schools seem to cover Ag Science in a year (as far as I can tell), but as I've never done the subject or really know anyone who did well. I don't know enough about it to say if that's feasible in a year - as it has coursework and stuff. (I have so much knowledge, eh? :pac:)
    Maybe I'm just bitter cause I wanted an A and got a B2

A lot of the grinds schools seem to cover Ag Science in a year (as far as I can tell), but as I've never done the subject or really know anyone who did well. I don't know enough about it to say if that's feasible in a year - as it has coursework and stuff. (I have so much knowledge, eh? :pac:)

I've never tried watching that I would if it was useful. I watch the news occasionally. Rathmines doesn't have ag science I'd have to take that up outside or something. Is there a lot of theory in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Business is easy, can definitely be done in a year and get an A. Theres hardly any maths in it and no accounting.

Classical Studies is grand, nice if you like stories. But you do have to write a lot of essays in the exam. More of a subject to do if you are good at history leaving cert.

If I was picking the best for points I would go geography, business, biology. All good learners, straight forward and can be done in a year.

• Advertisement

Business is easy, can definitely be done in a year and get an A. Theres hardly any maths in it and no accounting.

Classical Studies is grand, nice if you like stories. But you do have to write a lot of essays in the exam. More of a subject to do if you are good at history leaving cert.

If I was picking the best for points I would go geography, business, biology. All good learners, straight forward and can be done in a year.

I'm good at essays and I didn't do history in the lc. I'm keeping the geography and business probably pick classics not sure between economics and accounting I'm not the best at maths but I've done a bit of it in the jc. But there'd be all the formulas to learn .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Business, Economics, Biology, Geography, Home Economics, Classics all doable.

I repeated a few years ago and did Economics, Geography and Economic History in a year. Not sure if Ec. History is still a subject? Got an A2 in it repeating, very easy. Economics is also very very easy to get a good honours score in. Geography and Biology are bigger in terms of syllabus but put the work in and you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I love classics. Straight a1 student. Took extra classes.

Yet i get a B1 today.
    Shocked.

Always heard the markers of classics could be random. It's true. =\ keep that in mind!

I think I'll do classics it's just the other subject now.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

I did Biology in a year and got an A2, so it's well doable in a 9-10 month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

I did the three business subjects and economics and business are definitely doable in 1 year but I wouldn't advise doing accounting

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I think I'm going to rathmines hopefully.

I got B3 English ordinary (I had the ability to do higher) I just dropped down
    D2/D3 in the others business higher and geography higher and failed maths. So I really need the repeat.

I'm not sure if I'm the type to listen to all of that I could start. Is it very detailed like a lot of theory?

I don't know if rathmines is different to where you went last year but I am assuming it is

Well it's easy to say you were able for HL english but you only got a B3 after two years, it may be a new course in one year next year?

Was it OL or HL maths you failed?

Well pick up the sunday newspaper and go to the business section and see if you find it interesting.
    There is a fair amount of theory, the exam is about applying what you learned to situations more than straight learning a paragraph and spit it out onto the page.

Like another poster said, biology might be a good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Not economics! It may, just may melt your head. I'd suggest business if you're heading in that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

I teach all three Leaving Cert Business Subjects in my school. I take regular 5th and 6th Year classes in Accounting and Business and teach Economics as an extra subject for 1 hour per week to 6th Years (2 hours per week after the mocks).

Accounting is not doable in 1 year in any circumstance. Business and Economics are both achievable. Business is an easier subject than economics but is a much longer course. Economics is without doubt the shortest Leaving Cert course and probably has most choice (4 out of 8 questions with 3 from guaranteed topics). The language is more difficult and the concepts more complex but the idea that you must keep up to date with news and statistics is rubbish. You need to know 5 current statistical figures for the exam. You will need some teacher help with economics though as there are some tricky topics.

For the record, I had 21 students doing economics this year. All 21 got a C or better and every one of them counted it for points. Most also do business (6 classes per week) and the business results were marginally better on average.

Liveit wrote: »
    I don't know if rathmines is different to where you went last year but I am assuming it is

Well it's easy to say you were able for HL english but you only got a B3 after two years, it may be a new course in one year next year?

Was it OL or HL maths you failed?

Well pick up the sunday newspaper and go to the business section and see if you find it interesting.
    There is a fair amount of theory, the exam is about applying what you learned to situations more than straight learning a paragraph and spit it out onto the page.

Like another poster said, biology might be a good choice

I was suposed to do the honours english I dropped beginning of 5th year. An decided to get a B in ordinary instead and that happend. I'll probably leave it I had a look I'd have to learn 3 new texts in a year. I'll just do the ordinary two of my texts are still on the course so I only need one more and can maybe get a A.

I already do business . I'm just trying to decide which other one to take up as well as that it's between accounting and economics my mum doesn't want me doing economics though.

I failed ol maths. I'd failed most the year though. I can get better an get grinds.

• Advertisement

milosh wrote: »
    I teach all three Leaving Cert Business Subjects in my school. I take regular 5th and 6th Year classes in Accounting and Business and teach Economics as an extra subject for 1 hour per week to 6th Years (2 hours per week after the mocks).

Accounting is not doable in 1 year in any circumstance. Business and Economics are both achievable. Business is an easier subject than economics but is a much longer course. Economics is without doubt the shortest Leaving Cert course and probably has most choice (4 out of 8 questions with 3 from guaranteed topics). The language is more difficult and the concepts more complex but the idea that you must keep up to date with news and statistics is rubbish. You need to know 5 current statistical figures for the exam. You will need some teacher help with economics though as there are some tricky topics.

For the record, I had 21 students doing economics this year. All 21 got a C or better and every one of them counted it for points. Most also do business (6 classes per week) and the business results were marginally better on average.

Oh right so would you advise me not to do economics or accounting. Or if I did economics I'd have to watch the news . How hard out of 10 would you rate the economics?

Or would biology be doable in a year? or maybe I should repeat french but I hate the subject and I'm not good at languages. I'm better and science subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fred09

classics,home ec,agricultural science ive heard are very manageable.........i did accounting and did well but i worked really hard and wouldnt advise doing it as a year is not enough time i think anyway.

It's so hard to decide . The thinks I'm definitely going to do are english(o) , maths(o) , geography(h) , business (h), classical studies (h) ,

I just need one more something that would be mangeable in a year to do higher level. Everyones advising me not to do economics. Accounting does it cross over on the stuff you would have learnt in the higher business studies in the junior cert like the trade profit and loss and balance sheet , budget etc.

I'm thinking possibly taking up home economics or I would like to do ag science, would I have to take that up outside the college?

I could do french but I need to do something in honours level 3 honours is not enough to get the points. I'm not good and hated french I know I won't work hard at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Don't do accounting, its probably the reason i'm going to repeat :/
    Economics is very doable in a year so i would suggest doing that

xclw wrote: »
    Don't do accounting, its probably the reason i'm going to repeat :/
    Economics is very doable in a year so i would suggest doing that

I want to do economics my family keep telling I'm I will fail if I do that as they failed theirs and they think I shouldn't :S.

If you are in any way intelligent you will not fail Economics. There isn't much to learn and you have a choice of 4 out of 8 in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I was suposed to do the honours english I dropped beginning of 5th year. An decided to get a B in ordinary instead and that happend. I'll probably leave it I had a look I'd have to learn 3 new texts in a year. I'll just do the ordinary two of my texts are still on the course so I only need one more and can maybe get a A.

If you got a B in OL, you're capable of at least a D in HL. I'd advise you to view your script and see where you got the marks. If you did well in Paper I, you're half-way there and don't have a lot to build on for HL. I don't have the 2011 OL syllabus to hand, but your comparative would've covered Theme/Issue, wouldn't it? Have you done Hamlet?

Has the economics paper changed maybe it was harder back then?

They keep saying they found it difficult

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    If you got a B in OL, you're capable of at least a D in HL. I'd advise you to view your script and see where you got the marks. If you did well in Paper I, you're half-way there and don't have a lot to build on for HL. I don't have the 2011 OL syllabus to hand, but your comparative would've covered Theme/Issue, wouldn't it? Have you done Hamlet?

I can do the ordinary as two of my texts are on the course still and I only have to go over the poetry really. I could aim for an A instead. My teacher every work that I handed up to my teacher she'd always say that I was good. Rarely got bad comments. I don' think I can do the honours I'd need to learn the poetry, the hamlet the play and how to do the essays longer. I'd need two years. I shouldn't have dropped down. So aiming for an A in ordinary is probably the best thing to do.

Advertisement