Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subjects are doable in a year to repeat the LC?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I can do the ordinary as two of my texts are on the course still and I only have to go over the poetry really. I could aim for an A instead. My teacher every work that I handed up to my teacher she'd always say that I was good. Rarely got bad comments. I don' think I can do the honours I'd need to learn the poetry, the hamlet the play and how to do the essays longer. I'd need two years. I shouldn't have dropped down. So aiming for an A in ordinary is probably the best thing to do.

If it's points you're looking for, you should reconsider. An A at ordinary level is a waste of time as it means you would've got a C at HL (I've marked both). There isn't a huge difference in the standard of paper 1 essays at OL and HL, that's why I think you should view your script. However, taking up Hamlet could be daunting, but you could do it as part of your comparative and do another text for your single text.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Whatsername92

Hey!
    I don't do either of business or Economics, but I promise you, Accounting is not possible to do in 1 year. I did 2 years of it and had to drop to pass in the end because theres just far too much to learn!

I also have to repeat as I failed Higher level Maths and higher level Chemistry, so I'm kinda in the same boat! Are there any other subjects people would recommend me taking up? (Bear in mind, I'm not great with numbers! =/ )
    The subjects I do/am doing are:
    English (H)
    Irish (O)
    Maths (H)
    German (H)
    Accounting (O)
    Chemistry (H)
    Biology (H)

I was thinking of taking on LCVP if thats possible as a repeat? Any ideas guys? Thanks! :p

EDIT: Btw, I got an E in maths and an F in Chem. I got B's in everything else! Got about 300 or so me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

deemark wrote: »
    If it's points you're looking for, you should reconsider. An A at ordinary level is a waste of time as it means you would've got a C at HL (I've marked both). There isn't a huge difference in the standard of paper 1 essays at OL and HL, that's why I think you should view your script. However, taking up Hamlet could be daunting, but you could do it as part of your comparative and do another text for your single text.

I do know I would have done quite well. It's one of my strongest subjects. I don't think it's doable in a year. I won't be able to learn all the texts and poetry in just a year. If I didn't drop it in the beginning of 5th year. I'd be better off. The texts are completely different to the ordinary so I can't use any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AceOps

Or would biology be doable in a year? or maybe I should repeat french but I hate the subject and I'm not good at languages. I'm better and science subjects.

Well, tbh Biology is a fairly long course.. I did it by myself,without a teacher, as an extra subject in order to have 2 science subjects for my course. I started in september in 5th year and only finished aprox. in April in 6th year,balancing it with my other subjects. I got an A1 in it in the end :D. So regarding repeats, in order to finish biology in 1 year you will have to seriously push it.. dunno, maybe you will be able to do it. Good Luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭DaBomb

Id really recommend AG science. There's a project which is worth 25% and its not too hard. There is also a lot of overlap from geography and loads of biology :) i know you might tink its for 'farmers' :P but it is a science subject and its mostly science :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

im repeating and was planning on dropping chemistry and taking on either geography or economics or maybe both.. I know economics is a 1 year course so im not too worried about that but is geo. possible in a year??

im repeating and was planning on dropping chemistry and taking on either geography or economics or maybe both.. I know economics is a 1 year course so im not too worried about that but is geo. possible in a year??

I did geography , I think it's doable in a year. There is quite a bit to know.
    Theres two books and another chapter for the essay question if you do honours.Theres the two cores physical and regional . Then one of the two electives and then the essay chapter(higher). You just have to practise the long questions. Theres also a investigation and you do a report on it it's worth 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Anyone think Chemistry or Construction Studies would be doable in a year? I wouldn't mind doing either one and I need one more subject as I'm not doing Art again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Anyone think Chemistry or Construction Studies would be doable in a year? I wouldn't mind doing either one and I need one more subject as I'm not doing Art again next year.

chemistry, its short enough course, but it only came together for me in 6th year, id look at all my options first, id put chemistry at the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    woodwork for the junior cert.

Project worth 25% (half for project, half for the write-up)
    Practical exam worth 25%. 3-4 hours long.
    Written exam worth 50%. Answer 5 questions of 10, Must answer the first question which is a drawing based 1. So basically pick 4 out of 9.

Very easy to learn the theory, just do the papers, they repeat themselves a lot!

Would wholely advise anyone who can to do the subject.

• Advertisement

Crow92 wrote: »
    woodwork for the junior cert.

Project worth 25% (half for project, half for the write-up)
    Practical exam worth 25%. 3-4 hours long.
    Written exam worth 50%. Answer 5 questions of 10, Must answer the first question which is a drawing based 1. So basically pick 4 out of 9.

Very easy to learn the theory, just do the papers, they repeat themselves a lot!

Would wholely advise anyone who can to do the subject.

How hard is the practical side of things? I did Technology in 1st-3rd year and Engineering in 5th and 6th. I'm decent at working with my hands and marking things out and measurements. I just have no experience working with woodworking tools. I work in a hardware so could get practice in the next 2 weeks. What tools would I need the most?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I didn't find it difficult to learn the practical side at all (Besides gettting used to powerful drillers and belt sanders ect.)

Proper sawing technique, cutting in straight lines, Accurate measuring and marking. Being good with a chisel too. Electric srewdriver.
    You'll need to be good with the wood, like with amount of force you apply and what not in order to not split the wood.

If you used to working with your hands it'll be grand. Does your school have the facilities for construction studies though? You'll get plenty of practice of the year.

Yeah it does. We have a fairly good Constuction room actually! When I told my two friends I might be repeating they both suggested Construction to me. Thanks for the input about the practical. I think its the chiseling that'll take most practice. Getting pressure and angles etc. right will be hard enough. Hopefully I'll pick it up fast though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

My results weren't the best. I'm gonna keep geography , maths ,business and English and pick up 2 new subjects I'm dropping my other two I'm not that good at them.

I'm thinking of taking up economics , classical studies or accounting.
    My mum is really against me doing economics though. But I heard it's a short course and doable in a year. I like business too.

I did the business for the junior higher level and know a little how to do the balance sheets and trade profit and the budget a few of the others. I found it hard but maybe with practice I could do it. But I'm not great at maths , my mum wants me to do that I'd rather do economics.

Classical Studies looks interesting I heard you have to read lots of books , and I'm quite good at english.
    I'd want t take them up as honours the most ordinary subjects I'll have is two. Maths and English but you can't do english in a 1 year higher level.

How hard is repeating?Is it easy to stay motivated?

I think you're getting shockingly bad advice here, including advice from teachers and exam correctors. What's your actual goal here in repeating? do you want to get a certain level of points to get into a college course? I don't know exactly how you did but it sounds like you got between 130 and 160 points. (just read you got more than that on other thread)

You did mostly ordinary level subjects and the higher level subjects you got Ds in. There is a chance you just picked bad subjects for you, didn't like them, bad teachers, didn't suit you but the signs here are that you don't have the academic ability to take a brand new leaving cert subject at higher level and pass it while doing reasonably at the other 5.

People here are telling you which subjects are easiest to get an A in when you should be concentrating on passing your core subjects, English (O/H), maths (O) and French (O?)/ (presume Irish is passed and doesn't need to be repeated for matriculation). Another year studying for Geography (H) and Business (H) should see you get a C at least in both. You haven't told us what the 6th subject is (presuming you did 7 in total), unless you really really hated it I'd suggest you keep the same 6 subjects and go at it hammer and thongs from September on and do your best.

EDIT just saw your other post sorry.

I think you're getting shockingly bad advice here, including advice from teachers and exam correctors. What's your actual goal here in repeating? do you want to get a certain level of points to get into a college course? I don't know exactly how you did but it sounds like you got between 130 and 160 points. (just read you got more than that on other thread)

You did mostly ordinary level subjects and the higher level subjects you got Ds in. There is a chance you just picked bad subjects for you, didn't like them, bad teachers, didn't suit you but the signs here are that you don't have the academic ability to take a brand new leaving cert subject at higher level and pass it while doing reasonably at the other 5.

People here are telling you which subjects are easiest to get an A in when you should be concentrating on passing your core subjects, English (O/H), maths (O) and French (O?)/ (presume Irish is passed and doesn't need to be repeated for matriculation). Another year studying for Geography (H) and Business (H) should see you get a C at least in both. You haven't told us what the 6th subject is (presuming you did 7 in total), unless you really really hated it I'd suggest you keep the same 6 subjects and go at it hammer and thongs from September on and do your best.

EDIT just saw your other post sorry.

I'm exempt from irish only because I moved here from england. I was capable of getting a B in geography and business. In geography on the day the exam didn't go well and my essay didn't come up or it did under a different name so I lost the 80 marks. I think it has alot to do with my subject choices. I was originally meant to do biology , geography and french (I only did that because I didn't want history) Then my geography teacher wasn't good I knew I'd fail as he talks for the whole time. So I had to change my subjects to get a good geography teacher then ended up having to do engineering as I can't do art had to drop biology. My business teacher basically read through the book he didn't tell us anything about the different ways to answer the question. Or even go through the abq or the paper and didn't correct our work. I when I did ask he'd say it was good. French I hate it I've done it for years and I'm still not good , I'm not really good at languages. I just need to study more which I left late last year. I can't do engineering it's too hard. So I need the two new subjects. So classics and one other not sure which one. English I'm really good at . My goal is to get into a good uni I need at least A's and B's I'm hoping one in england or one here.

All universities are equally good in Ireland, however even if you double your points to 360, there aren't a whole lot of suitable courses in universities in Dublin. However, NCI, a 3rd level college would have courses you may be interested in e.g. Business, Accounting, Human Resources.

Geography, Business, English, Maths, Classical Studies...

can you investigate Home Economics in your new school?

All universities are equally good in Ireland, however even if you double your points to 360, there aren't a whole lot of suitable courses in universities in Dublin. However, NCI, a 3rd level college would have courses you may be interested in e.g. Business, Accounting, Human Resources.

Geography, Business, English, Maths, Classical Studies...

can you investigate Home Economics in your new school?

Out of the places I'd applied for the highest points I needed were 325 or 340 can' remember it was DCU and its a computer business course the points aren't as high as other subjects. I'm applying to both england and ireland. I just want to move away for university. I still like those unis though nci and dcu I only needed 290 for nci.

If home economics is doable in a year I could but theres a lot of cooking and a project which needs to be done early on. I might pick economics instead though. Even though my mum and her friend are telling me not to everyone else says it's well doable in a year and the test has probably changed since when they did it. I enjoy business, and it could tie into some stuff like the land labour captital and enterprise.

Just check you have all the requirements, you need passes in two languages, English and one other. You've got an exemption for irish but i'm not sure if they still expect you to have a pass in french. If you passed the french already then it's grand.
    What happens if I do not take a language other than Irish and English?

The National University of Ireland demands a pass in a third language for entry to almost every course at its colleges - University College Dublin, University College Galway, University College Cork and NUI Maynooth. The exception is at NUI Maynooth, which has dropped the requirement for its engineering programmes. You also need a third language to become an Army or Air Corps cadet. Trinity College in Dublin accepts Irish as fulfilling its second-language requirement.

The University of Limerick, Dublin City University and the institutes of technology require a continental language only if the course involves its study.

from http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/senior.asp?id=3173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

REligion and Ag Science trust me!

Just check you have all the requirements, you need passes in two languages, English and one other. You've got an exemption for irish but i'm not sure if they still expect you to have a pass in french. If you passed the french already then it's grand.

from http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/senior.asp?id=3173

Yeah I got a D1 in french. I really don't want to do french again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

A lot of people are put off by history but i did higher level myself this year and got a B2. I think if you have any interest in history and understand how to write essays, it can be picked up quite well by just reading it. As if you find it interesting the information will stick pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I did Agricultural Science HL this year. Didnt understand ANY OF IT.
    Half of it is Biology which gave me a benefit!

I got same as the mock, HL C3. I aint complainin :D

Heard Geography and Biology are duable in a year too.
    You gotta be studying all the time if you do an new subject to get a good grade.

Can you do ag science outside the college?

How hard is classics? and economics?

I think I'll be picking classics. Maybe economics still undecided but I know I really do not want to do french again.

Is classical studies easy to get a B in higher?

How much books do you need to read? would you be answering questions similar to the way you'd do in english?

Would you need to learn of quotes for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My results weren't the best. I'm gonna keep geography , maths ,business and English and pick up 2 new subjects I'm dropping my other two I'm not that good at them.

To be honest, I think that you're going to make life very difficult for yourself in an effort to try and do 'easy' subjects for the LC. You didn't get great results in the subjects you studied over 2 years. Why do you think that taking up a brand new subject for one year is going to be different?

You have an excuse for everything you did badly in, you say you like English and reading, but you don't want to put the effort in to read new texts (even though you would be in a class where they could be starting from scratch too). Maybe it's time to take responsibility for yourself this year and really give it your all. An extra year at the subjects you're not too good at has to improve your mark and may allow you to go from OL to HL.

There is no easy way to improve your results, hard work is what it'll take. I apologise if I sound harsh, but you could be using this time to revise your old subjects or read a novel, instead of looking for a shortcut to great results.

deemark wrote: »
    To be honest, I think that you're going to make life very difficult for yourself in an effort to try and do 'easy' subjects for the LC. You didn't get great results in the subjects you studied over 2 years. Why do you think that taking up a brand new subject for one year is going to be different?

You have an excuse for everything you did badly in, you say you like English and reading, but you don't want to put the effort in to read new texts (even though you would be in a class where they could be starting from scratch too). Maybe it's time to take responsibility for yourself this year and really give it your all. An extra year at the subjects you're not too good at has to improve your mark and may allow you to go from OL to HL.

There is no easy way to improve your results, hard work is what it'll take. I apologise if I sound harsh, but you could be using this time to revise your old subjects or read a novel, instead of looking for a shortcut to great results.

I would do the english it's just most people would have done the honours for the leaving cert. Paper 1 in english is usually where I score the highest. I'd have to learn Hamlet and poetry and be able to write an essay in a year.I'm not sure I might try in english I'll see what the place says. I might stick with the french and keep it as a 7th subject , I've just always found it really hard. I'm really interested in the two subjects I'd be picking up. With french I know I'm not capable to do the honours, I could do well in the ordinary but the honours is too hard. I'm just worried about making the wrong choice when picking the subjects to repeat .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dnalyh

hey i was wondering could anyone help i am thinking of repeating my leaving cert and that this yr but i hear there are a few new changes to the course could anyone help me please and give me some information on this also i would be very grateful if anyone could tell me of any night colleges that do the leaving cert at night as i am in college already but want to do this as part time to see can i get into the course i want for next yr ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TeachMealog

all those years ago I did Geography in one year and turned out to be one of my better subjects embarrassingly.
    Subjects like Geography, Accounting, Classics, Agri Science, Applied Math and Economics where the curriculum stays the same from year to year are the most possible to do in a single year

A number of repeat schools do evening classes in subjects which you can add on to your existing year if your school doesn't do it

e.g.
    www.ashfieldcollege.ie (templeogue)
    www.plunketcollege.ie (whitehall)

I am sure yeates and bruce college do them as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sckool

Japanese would be doable in a year contact the Language Intiative as they do classes in dUBLIN and Cork, i think they are free

• Advertisement

all those years ago I did Geography in one year and turned out to be one of my better subjects embarrassingly.
    Subjects like Geography, Accounting, Classics, Agri Science, Applied Math and Economics where the curriculum stays the same from year to year are the most possible to do in a single year

A number of repeat schools do evening classes in subjects which you can add on to your existing year if your school doesn't do it

e.g.
    www.ashfieldcollege.ie (templeogue)
    www.plunketcollege.ie (whitehall)

I am sure yeates and bruce college do them as well

I've had a look at plunketts I can't find what subjects they do and the ones I saw were the ones that they did in my old school. They haven't got classics or economics or they might not too sure. So I'm not quite sure. I think I'll be going to rathmines.

Advertisement