Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subjects are doable in a year to repeat the LC?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Which place is better to repeat in Rathmines or Plunketts?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Would it be possible to take up home ec in a year as a repeat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Business is probably one of the easiest but as someone said, Economics is a much shorter course. It depends how much work you are willing to put in though. I'l warn you now, economics is a very hard subject to get an A in. Alot of straight A students slipped down to a b or a c this year in the leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 prettybb

can anybody tell me what an external candidate must do I'm going to repeat LC again~

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

In 2007 I sat Bio, Geo, Music, French, Irish, English (higher) and ordinary maths...
    In 2012 I am going to sit Bio, Phys, Chem, Maths, Classics, Music (higher) and ordinary Irish, English and French

• Advertisement

I think I'm doing home economics and economics as my two new subjects. Then keeping the others business, geography, maths, english, maybe french I'm keeping it for now I might drop it later in the year it's just a backup subject .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 megan17

I am doing 8 subjects atm
    English(H)
    Biology(H)
    Home Ec(H)
    Business(H)
    French(H)
    L.C.V.P.
    Irish(H)
    Math(O)
    But i have decided to drop to ordinary irish because i hate it! I also wish don't like business and didnt pay much attention to it last year. I was concidering giving it up and taking up another subject I was thinking about geography I did it for my junior cert and find it alot more interesting than business but I am curious is it douable in a year or what other subjects are? I am a good worker!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 irelandfan

megan17 wrote: »
    I am doing 8 subjects atm
    English(H)
    Biology(H)
    Home Ec(H)
    Business(H)
    French(H)
    L.C.V.P.
    Irish(H)
    Math(O)
    But i have decided to drop to ordinary irish because i hate it! I also wish don't like business and didnt pay much attention to it last year. I was concidering giving it up and taking up another subject I was thinking about geography I did it for my junior cert and find it alot more interesting than business but I am curious is it douable in a year or what other subjects are? I am a good worker!

I don't mean to alarm if you don't know this already but as far as I know you can't repeat LCVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

irelandfan wrote: »
    I don't mean to alarm if you don't know this already but as far as I know you can't repeat LCVP.

You can actually repeat the exam but you cant do another portfolio. It has to be the first one you did. A guy in my year repeated the exam and he was the first in the school to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Can you do ag science outside the college?

How hard is classics? and economics?

Your teacher grades your ag science project and that is checked by an external examiner who may interview you (if you are the only student sitting in the subject in the school you will definitely be interviewer, i.e. an oral examination). Your teacher must be teaching the subject in a school, so you can't just sign up for the subject and send in your project to the SEC. You can't just get anyone to sign off on it, so don't make a commitment to this subject unless you have sorted yourself out with a teacher who is willing to take you first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

0987654321 wrote: »
    REligion and Ag Science trust me!

I find Religion easy but NOBODY would be able to do it in a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

home ec is not double in a year... it is a long course involved a lot of learning
    it is a bit similar to biology but not the same.. and there is also a project to do with takes a good amount of time
    it is hard to do on well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eamonn11

I'm repeating the leaving cert this year and im looking for some advice on the 3 most practical/easiest leaving cert subjects to get covered in one year? i would rather subjects that are theory and factual learning instead of problem solving ones.

I'm just looking for points this year as i have passed english, irish, maths and german.

I will already be doing geography, biology and ag. science already this year as i got higher B3's in each of them.

I will probably be getting 2 grinds a week in each of my 3 new subjects, so ill be putting alot of work into them.

I was thinking of doing....

Economics
    Business
    Phys/Chem or History or Home Ec or Construction??

If anyone has any info on these subjects it would be greatly appreciated!

And im wondering what Ag. Economics is like if anyone has any info?

Any advice or info would be much great.........

So home ec is not doable in a year?
    The only subjects they do in the place is history , biology and then physics . I'm taking up economics I need one other out of those. Some people have told me history as I'm quite good at english. But they said ordinary level I need a honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

keep in mind that u wud hav to do a project in history and construction, i don't know about the others

i'm repeatin as well and i'm gona take up ag science, supposed to be one of the easier subjects

ag ec?? lookin on internet and i think it was in 2009 that only 30 students took exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smalls

I loved History and went on to get an A2 but it is a serious amount of work with a lot to remember but it is interesting. However bare in mind Bio and Geo have a vast amount to cover, but are easier to print on the brian than history

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Already a thread on this - merged.

Is home ec just learning like learning food biology basically?
    I had a look at the paper it looks sort of like biology.

well i'm not doing any of those myself: history , biology and then physics
    But i think out of those biology would be the best one. Don't want to judge here as i said i'm not doing any of those but from what i have heard biology is managable

Is home ec just learning like learning food biology basically?
    I had a look at the paper it looks sort of like biology.

There are some bits similar to biology but it is not the same. Having home ec and biology is useful. Home ec to be honest is a mixture of everything bit of biology, bit of sociology, bit of business, bit of chemistry, bit of common sense and a lot of the food industry. The project is worth 20% of the overall mark and then the paper is obviously 80%. I'm only in 6th year know but I'm doing home ec since 1st year and I know how much effort it requires.... It is mostly learning but it is hard to get without having everything properly explained. If you decide to join the home ec class only for 6th year than you may find yourself lost as they would have done a lot in 5th year.
    Taking my home ec class as an example we've done most of the long questions in 5th year. And we've done all of the project in 5th year.
    I'm not weak at home ec I was getting A's all throughout 5th year. I had one C i think and in my opinion it is not an easy subject to do well in.
    The best thing to do is talk to home ec teacher in your school.

• Advertisement

I think I'll stick with home ec and the economics. I know loads of people whos done home ec and can get notes off them. I'm not bad at science stuff.

or maybe take up history if I'm good at english , if I was able to do honours :S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cavanman52

These subjects are all easily doable in one year.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Murp7784

Hi, I am thinking of repeating my leaving cert.
    I am going to drop English because I cannot be bothered relearning everything again. I took on Biology, business, art, Accounting, but I failed art and business due to some unfortunate circumstances that had happened within the two years. I am now looking into physics, DCG, ag science and applied maths.

Also, since I done ordinary maths, could I achieve between 40-50% with a year of doing Higher maths

Advertisement